2012 Ouray caravan from the upper midwest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by Tonka J200
    I'm not sure what next summer holds for us yet. Gotta see how finances etc. will be holding up. If we can swing it, we're going to try and make it out there again. I'm really hoping to!

If we can go, I'd love to caravan with you! The route we took last year took me right by you on the way out. I could follow you to the Denver area and I'll run up and visit my cousin in Longmont, then head out from there.

If I can get my truck done I'd love to take it instead of my Grand Wagoneer! Imagine Truck Norris and Truck E. Cheese blasting down the highway together! What could be cooler than that!?! Fuggedaboutit!!
    My cousin is on the north side of Denver so that could be very easy. As far as joining up, we could meet up in the Iowa City area where I would pick up with I-80 and go from there. The two trucks together would be very cool indeed.
    Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
      Murphy's Law Poster Child
      • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by derf
      My cousin is on the north side of Denver so that could be very easy. As far as joining up, we could meet up in the Iowa City area where I would pick up with I-80 and go from there. The two trucks together would be very cool indeed.
      Depending on which dates I can get for vacation and if I can make it work I'd love to be part of the convoy.
      You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
      '88 GW
      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• derf
        360 AMC
        • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
        Depending on which dates I can get for vacation and if I can make it work I'd love to be part of the convoy.
        The more the merrier.

Comment

• derf
          360 AMC
          • Jul 12, 2001

I've been doing some thinking about my trip out and back. I know, very dangerous. I've thought about skipping the interstates, at least on the way out. And maybe just for parts of the trip.

My thinking is that I've done that I-80 trip from Iowa through Nebraska twice already in my life. Maybe taking a different route out there would make it a little more interesting. It might be fun to limit my route to US highways so I can see parts of America I haven't already seen.

I'll probably just jump on the interstates for the trip home since I'll probably be anxious to get that part of the trip out of the way. But maybe having a more scenic route out there could be fun.

Would anyone feel like joining me for that kind of convoy?

Comment

• ne715
            350 Buick
            • Mar 16, 2006

Hwy 6 through Nebraska would be a good trip, if you take it I would recommend stopping in Minden at Pioneer Village.

Hwy 6 would keep you on a route into CO, but not interstate. Most of it is 60-65 MPH.

Pam

Comment

• Niedhogg
              232 I6
              • Apr 09, 2012

Originally posted by derf
              I've been doing some thinking about my trip out and back. I know, very dangerous. I've thought about skipping the interstates, at least on the way out. And maybe just for parts of the trip.

My thinking is that I've done that I-80 trip from Iowa through Nebraska twice already in my life. Maybe taking a different route out there would make it a little more interesting. It might be fun to limit my route to US highways so I can see parts of America I haven't already seen.

I'll probably just jump on the interstates for the trip home since I'll probably be anxious to get that part of the trip out of the way. But maybe having a more scenic route out there could be fun.

Would anyone feel like joining me for that kind of convoy?
              I think that would be pretty cool, interstates are over rated anyway and I've done that route west before and it's pretty boring.. If we were able to go, backroads would be what I would prefer when possible, especially if the time allows.. My in-laws are in Wichita, Ks., and we'd probably include that in either the trip out or back. I just google mapped it back from Ouray, through Wichita, and it looks like an interesting route, the only interstate is I-35 from Wichita, to the north the last 500 miles. We'd probably join the caravan in Des Moines, and follow the leader from there on the way out.
              1988 J20
              360/727/NP208
              33x12.50x15
              Stock... so far

1979 CJ7 Renegade
              304/TH400/Q-Trac
              Edelbrock/TA470/HEI/Headers & Dual 2-1/2" Flowmasters Inside & Out the Back
              4" Superlift/35x12.50x15

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Rt 50 across the states looks like a possibility to me from KY.I can pick it up just 6 miles from my house and it leads you right to Montrose which is only 50 miles north of Ouray. I've never braved it off interstate through KS before. I have done Southern MO and across OK panhandle before so it can't be much worse just more arid.
                I'll be at Ouray by Sunday if all goes well. So if there are any others leaving that early lets meet up. So far there are 2 of us convoying out. Our route is not set yet.
                Tom Gibson
                1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
                1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
                2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• jsinajeep
                  304 AMC
                  • Nov 26, 2005

Originally posted by HOOT
                  Rt 50 across the states looks like a possibility to me from KY.I can pick it up just 6 miles from my house and it leads you right to Montrose which is only 50 miles north of Ouray. I've never braved it off interstate through KS before. I have done Southern MO and across OK panhandle before so it can't be much worse just more arid.
                  I'll be at Ouray by Sunday if all goes well. So if there are any others leaving that early lets meet up. So far there are 2 of us convoying out. Our route is not set yet.
                  Hoot, that look like a interesting route. I might try that one going back to Ind. one of these time.
                  http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• Retro93
                    Junk Collector
                    • Nov 02, 2001

Hoot.... I want to be in Ouray on Sunday as well. Not too sure about making a run on a route other than the Interstate. However, running together makes sense too. There is safety in numbers.
                    79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Originally posted by jsinajeep
                      Hoot, that look like a interesting route. I might try that one going back to Ind. one of these time.
                      You need to come visit when you come back to IN.
                      Tom Gibson
                      1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                      1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.

Comment

• Hutcho
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jun 22, 2010

haven't looked at our route yet, but will either be leaving from neosho, mo or parsons, ks and also trying to be there sunday I will have to check out the routes a bit but might be able to join y'all for the convoy...
                        Formally known as "oilfieldtrash354"

"Grandpas" 1979 J-10 resto/mod-on hold for now

Preparing for Ouray 2013!!!!

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Originally posted by Retro93
                          Hoot.... I want to be in Ouray on Sunday as well. Not too sure about making a run on a route other than the Interstate. However, running together makes sense too. There is safety in numbers.
                          The interstate is a barren waste land and You'll probably find more along RT.50. Running slower as opposed to 75/80 on the highway will help on fuel also. I made good time doing all backroads a few years back. I like frequent stops to relieve the mundane drive. There may come a time to hit the interstate, I have no problem with that..We can always do another route also, I picked this one because I can pick it up here at the house and follow it to almost where I'm going. That and I've never done it like this before although I have done sections of it before here locally and out there from Co.Springs on.

We can get a list of people along the route just in case something big happens. That list also gives a great peace of mind when in "no mans land". I also have AAA+RV.
                          Tom Gibson

Comment

• jsinajeep
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 26, 2005

You need to come visit when you come back to IN.

That will be my plan and going on down to see haftrack family also.

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Originally posted by jsinajeep
                              That will be my plan and going on down to see haftrack family also.
                              Let us know ahead of time if possible. Maybe we can make a get together out of it while your here. We have been talking of doing a campout at Jakes place.

Go to the plain states or midwest section and look for the Covered bridge meet. Maybe you can join us on it this fall.
                              Tom Gibson

Comment

• jsinajeep
                                304 AMC
                                • Nov 26, 2005

Let us know ahead of time if possible. Maybe we can make a get together out of it while your here. We have been talking of doing a campout at Jakes place.

Go to the plain states or midwest section and look for the Covered bridge meet. Maybe you can join us on it this fall.
                                Not ssure about this year yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X