• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Probesport
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2015

Heated seats prissy? Probably.

Installing heated seats in my 1988 Waggy.

This is most likely considered pris so I figured this is the best spot for it. After going EFI, adding keyless entry and remote start I figure the next logical step is heated seats. I picked up a very affordable kit from the auction site ($30) and set to work.

I also had some seat issues. The drivers seat was the only one working but was slow and lumbering. I had to fix the wiring to the passenger side and some connectors, while in there I also cleaned up, repaired, and lubricated the seat frames.

The set I bought came with 4 pads (backs and bottoms for both fronts), switch, and harness. It did not come with instructions but it's pretty easy to figure out.

RED - CONS 12v+
    BLACK - GROUND
    PINK - IGN SW 12v+
    WHITE - LIGHT SIGNAL

First step, figure out where to put the switch. I didn't want it to look out of place nor cut into something I could regret later. The blank spot on the A/C vent housing seemed to be my best bet. There are many options for kits and switches out there, I went with this one for simplicity and style.

Directly below the face plate, the lower access panel is where I ran the harness out.

For the seats there are a few ways to tackle it. On the passenger side I did it by the book, pulling back the skins, cutting every single hog-ring , putting pads on and then re-ringing everything. On the drivers side, I tried to see the least amount I could do. After doing both, I like the shortcuts so I will speak to that.

Separate the seat from the track/base. This will allow you to get to all of the hogrings and then you can clean and lube the base off of the seat.
    Seat base removed and cleaned.

Cutting hogrings

Pull back just enough of the cover so that you can slide the pads in. They are cloth and very flexible. Think of putting a pillow in a pillow-case for this method. Worked out just fine.

I ran the leads from the pads on the bottom seat to the front and on the back to the bottom. This has them coming out of opposite ends of the base.

Now onto wiring fixing....

Seat control switch pack damaged and repaired.

Damaged wiring - not shown the melted, flattened wiring under the carpet. Also replaced.

Some of the repaired wiring

A nicked wire, easy fix

Replace hogrings, Reassemble seats and bases, plug everything in, test power functions, and bolt seats back down.

Installing and finalizing wiring

Done!

Works great, especially with the corduroy centers, heats up quickly. So with EFI, remote start and heated seats I looking forward to our last stretch of winter.

Last edited by Probesport; 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM.
    Ken S.
    Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Megasquirt EFI
    : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
    Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Pretty cool!

What's the setup out of? Or is it a new universal or something aftermarket?
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Probesport
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2015

New, universal aftermarket.
      Ken S.
      Megasquirt EFI
      : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
      Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• 8man
        304 AMC
        • Jan 04, 2011

Please post the source and name. That is cool and I know the wife would love it.
        79 Cherokee S (current project)
        82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Probesport
          232 I6
          • Apr 15, 2015

I got mine off of eBay, just look for heated seat kit and find the one you like for your setup. There are many, many out there with different configurations and switches. Some have on-off settings, some are hi-lo-off, this one has a 1-5 dial setting. I did the hi-low-off in my old TJ and sometimes hi was just way too much so I decided I wanted some more settings this time around. This morning I started out on 5 but after a few minutes, it was too much, I dropped it down to 3 for the rest of my commute.

Here is the specific one I purchased.
          Last edited by Probesport; 01-31-2017, 10:07 AM.
          Ken S.
          Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• cma
            350 Buick
            • Jan 26, 2012

Nice write up!

Next step could be a heated steering wheel
            Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• Probesport
              232 I6
              • Apr 15, 2015

I've thought of a heated steering wheel, but I'm going to have to make one for it to look right. Would also like to get in some radio controls when I do that task. I think my next luxury will a heated washer tank.

Here are some daylight pics of the switch install.

Ken S.
              Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Cherokee Outlaw
                • Jan 10, 2006

Very clean install. Love it.
                -Jonny B.
                1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• ShagWagon
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 10, 2016

Vented seats in case your back gets sweaty are kinda nice.

And heated and cooled cup holders. Can't go wrong there...
                  87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Geminiroq
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 06, 2007

Nice stuff!!!

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                      I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
                      • Apr 28, 2008

Beautifully done! So much attention to details... Kudos!
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer:
                      Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
                      Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

• Probesport
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 15, 2015

Thanks, they have been a welcome addition. The past few days here I have come to appreciate them.
                        Ken S.
                        Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• ZackN920
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 18, 2015

Just stumbled on to this. Looks good. So, how are they holding up after 2 years?
                          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                          Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                          ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Probesport
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 15, 2015

They have been working fine, I still haven't done the rears yet but I plan on it at some point.
                            Ken S.
                            Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• kansasboy001
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 06, 2016

What kind of light bulbs are you using for your interior lights? They look really bright
                              1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

Working...
                              X