• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trail rate this
    232 I6
    • Apr 04, 2010

HEI conversion help

I did a lot of searching with no results. Now I need some help from the experts.

I bought a 88 Grand Waggy. The engine harness is hacked. It came loose from the fire wall and hit the exhaust.

From what I've read it may be easier and more reliable to do a HEI setup. I know the HEI dizzy wont just drop in.

What are the parts and modifications needed to do this, and what of this wire mess will it eliminate?

I've tried to go through this mess and straighten it out. I'm getting no spark. The pickup coil in the stock dizzy is working. The coil isn't discharging. Any help this matter is welcome too.

Thanks for looking and helping.
    Last edited by trail rate this; 04-15-2010, 12:44 PM.
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Wow, that's is sorta what it looks like under the hood of my 88. I am going to install a Mallory HEI when I make the fix and share what is removed and how I power the HEI. You might want to look under the dash around the ignition switch on the middle area of steering column. Mine fried all the way to the switch.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• HD_JEEP
      350 Buick
      • Oct 28, 2008

Originally posted by trail rate this
      I did a lot of searching with no results. Now I need some help from the experts.

I bought a 88 Grand Waggy. The engine harness is hacked. It came loose from the fire wall and hit the exhaust.

From what I've read it may be easier and more reliable to do a HEI setup. I know the HEI dizzy wont just drop in.

What are the parts and modifications needed to do this, and what of this wire mess will it eliminate?

I've tried to go through this mess and straighten it out. I'm getting no spark. The pickup coil in the stock dizzy is working. The coil isn't discharging. Any help this matter is welcome too.

Thanks for looking and helping.
      Wow there has to a bird in that nest of wires somewhere? Good luck after you get it straightened out take an after shot and post so we can compare the two. A before and after...
      91 Grand Wagoneer "Final Edition"
      DeWooded
      6 inch Hellcreek lift.
      Rhino Grill
      BFGoodrich MT T/A KM2 33X10.5. R15
      Offenhauser Dual Port 360 Intake
      Holley 600cfm

If are not living on the Edge you are taking up to much room.
      ##########
      '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3172261

Comment

• Casey
        • Oct 08, 2003

Oh my!

You have a task in front of you!

I'm a big fan of HEI. Worth the money, time and effort. It's actually quite easy to install.

You'll need the dist. for an AMC V-8 and the correct wires.

The dist. does just drop in. One word of advice, use the gear off of your stock distributor on the new HEI and throw the one that came with it in your parts bin or trash.

Mark the stock dist. rotor orientation and #1 spark plug wire, take the old one out, remove the gear, install it on the HEI dist., drop the HEI in place (may have to mess with the shims a little to get it to mesh just right) making sure to orient it as the old one was.
        Find 12v constant power to the ign key switch and hook it to the HEI hot lead. That's it really.
        My wiring harness was so fouled up that I couldn't find a constant 12v from the key switch so I added an aux. powerblock and a toggle switch to send power to the ignition. The key starts it and the switch kills or sends power to it.

I had fuel line issues as the line was in the way of the vacuum advance..had to modify the fuel line out from the pump. When the HEI is installed the vac. adv. will be right up against the power steering pump.

After it's installed, fire it up and check your timing with a timing light. That's it.

The stock ign. wiring and ign. module is no longer used or needed!
        1994 YJ
        1986 Comanche
        '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
        www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
        "Go forth and be a tool".
        Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
        This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• The Colonel
          360 AMC
          • Feb 21, 2010

Wow, love the wire nuts .

The HEI drops right in, it's self contained. You need to swap your current dizz gear over to your new HEI to prevent dizzy gear wear issues.

The HEI only requires a switched power wire. I would run a wire from the ignition switch and wire in a relay and get power right from the battery....the HEI can draw a lot of current. (not using wire nuts of course)

edit: forgot to add you will need the correct spark plug wires to fit the HEI.

Comment

• HD_JEEP
            350 Buick
            • Oct 28, 2008

SPARK PLUG GAP

Spark plug gap changed also .45 is the suggested gap with the HEI.
            91 Grand Wagoneer "Final Edition"
            DeWooded
            6 inch Hellcreek lift.
            Rhino Grill
            BFGoodrich MT T/A KM2 33X10.5. R15
            Offenhauser Dual Port 360 Intake
            Holley 600cfm

If are not living on the Edge you are taking up to much room.
            ##########
            '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3172261

Comment

• trail rate this
              232 I6
              • Apr 04, 2010

Thanks for the help. I'm more of a junk yard upgrade person. What Year, Make, Model, and other parts needed to use junk yard parts?

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

A stock GM V8 HEI won't just drop in. The dizzy requires some machining so you need to have that done or buy a new made for AMC unit fron Z&M or others. If you go junkyard dizzy the Buick version seems to be prefered(prolly less machining needed.)
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• trail rate this
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 04, 2010

awesome this is what I'm looking for. How much machining and where?

Comment

• Casey
                    • Oct 08, 2003

awesome this is what I'm looking for. How much machining and where?
                    Dude, seriously, the things sell for around a c-note brand new.
                    1994 YJ
                    1986 Comanche
                    '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                    www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                    "Go forth and be a tool".
                    Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                    This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• trail rate this
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 04, 2010

Originally posted by Casey
                      Dude, seriously, the things sell for around a c-note brand new.
                      Ok, links of where your finding them for $100 set up for a 360.

Comment

• The Colonel
                        360 AMC
                        • Feb 21, 2010

ebay

Comment

• GI-John
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 11, 2006

Around 50-75 on da bay nowadays.

I bought mine from skipwhite. FWIW, the dizzy gear is NOT swappable with a motorcraft dizzy gear.
                          Just Emptying Every Pocket

Comment

• trail rate this
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 04, 2010

Originally posted by GI-John
                            Around 50-75 on da bay nowadays.

I bought mine from skipwhite. FWIW, the dizzy gear is NOT swappable with a motorcraft dizzy gear.
                            was it plug and play or did you have to change/modify it?

Comment

• vintagetrks
                              304 AMC
                              • May 01, 2009

It's like Casey said they are under a C note and fairly easy to install. Heres the link to the one Casey has.

You can also get the Mallory HEI's through BJ's but they a pretty pricey. Just remember to remove the gear off your original dizzy and put it on the HEI unit.
                              All those wire nuts under your hood look kinda like a string of christmas light. LOL
                              New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
                              My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
                              90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

Working...
                              X