• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockwell_B1
    232 I6
    • Jun 28, 2011

Finally got a J10

Figured it was time for introductions since I got things squared away and will finally have a FSJ next week. Long time lurker since I've been looking for a J-Truck for a long time but could never find one in decent enough shape in my area or in my price range. I ended up discovering the MJs so I've had three of those and I have been regretting getting rid of my last one ever since I did. So I figured it was time to look for a full size truck this time and I almost ended up buying a near mint '85 K-10 Silverado until I found this '74 J10. I don't know too much about it but I figured the 300 mile drive home in it will be plenty of time to get acquainted with it.

So here is the info from the listing and the pics that were there as well. Once I get it home I'll get some more pics, better info, and figure out what I will be doing to it. All I know right now is that I'm curious as to what the original engine was or if it is maybe just listed wrong, I'll check the stamping/vin when I get it home. And I may change the red to yellow as I'm not fond of red. Also it comes with new floor pans and rockers to put on it.

304 V8
    NEW CARB
    NEW MALLORY HEI DISTRIBUTOR
    MSD PLUG WIRES
    NEW RADIATOR
    NEW WINDSHIELD
    REBUILT 3 SPEED TRANSMISSION - MANUAL W/ NEW RAM CLUTCH
    4" SUPERLIFT LIFT KIT
    NEW 33" BFG ALL TERRAIN TIRES
    NEW 15 x 8 STEEL WHEELS
    DOLPHIN STREET ROD GUAGES IN DASH
    OTHER MISC. NEW PARTS

Last edited by Rockwell_B1; 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM.
    ~Alex

Past Jeeps:
    1974 J10 LWB 4x4 304 V8
    1991 MJ Eliminator 4x4 4.0L HO
    '86 MJ X LWB 4x4 2.8L & '88 MJ Eliminator 4.0L
  • FSJK
    258 I6
    • Feb 12, 2009

looks to be a good starting point...good luck with it!

Comment

• badaboom
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 05, 2001

Welcome from CO

Good luck with your projects.
      Welcome aboard.
      1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• FallonJeeper
        258 I6
        • May 28, 2010

Nice truck. Oh, and by the way, you're just getting started in getting acquaiinted with your J Truck.

Congrats and welcome!

Comment

• brushawg
          258 I6
          • Dec 17, 2006

That's a very nice start.
          Just
          Expect
          Every
          Problem

Got to love them

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
            350 Buick
            • Apr 23, 2011

Lookin good man! Lucky you found one with a brow. I'd love to have something like that on my Cherokee some day.
            Andy
            '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
            Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• Rockwell_B1
              232 I6
              • Jun 28, 2011

Oh yea, had to make sure I found one with the brow.
              ~Alex

Past Jeeps:
              1974 J10 LWB 4x4 304 V8

Comment

• 78J-10
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 15, 2008

Welcome from Lima,OH!

Thats a sharp looking truck you got there. If you even need a hand wrenching let me know I'm always willing to lend a hand. I got a "few" parts laying around if you even need anything lol

-Mike
                78 J-10: 258 w/2100,D20,HD44,14 Bolt,36's (SOLD )
                79 J20: 360 T18 D20 33s 36k: current state:
                88 Waggy: 360/727/Quad All stock rusty roof 78k :
                Tow Rig: 2013 CCLB 4x4 w/ 6.7L Cummins

Comment

• superman0094
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 04, 2010

LOL You asked for it...

Oh man, I love my '74 but if I had to do it over again I would've held out for a '78 model. Definitely, HAD to have the brow. #1 reason.....parts other than salvage are hard to come by. At least it seems to be that way with me...a first timer. Your resume sounds like you might know a trick or two. One thing for sure, if I ever get it the way I want it and I HAVE to sell it, I'll have at least a hundred 16-80 year old boys wanting to pay top dollar, based on the looks I get. Or they might just think I'm crazy old dude blasting out 80's rock, in a 70's truck. I'm not sure if they hear the exhaust first or the stereo. LOL!

However, the looks I get from the guys at the various parts places are priceless. LOL! The combination of "WOW Cool" and "You've got to be kidding me." is priceless.
                  '74 J10 w/ '76 360 30 over T18 Cooper MTT 35s

MSD 35859 8.5MM
                  MSD-6425 6AL DIGITAL BOX
                  MSD-8227 COIL
                  MSD-8414 CAP-A-DAPT
                  MSD-8869 ADAPT HARNESS
                  Edle 2132 Cam
                  Edle 1406 Carburetor
                  Edle Perf RPM Intake Manifold
                  Flex-A-Lite Variable Speed Fan Control
                  Dual Elec Fans

Comment

• Rockwell_B1
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 28, 2011

Thanks everyone, can't wait to get it and see what kind of trouble I can get into. I don't plan any big mods since I prefer to keep things mostly stock as I don't have time for off-roading anymore but who knows.

Superman, that sounds about like what I expect. Blasting 80's music in my 70's truck and getting some looks since a vehicle like this does not get seen very often around here. I use to get tons of looks and disbelief that my comanches were actually something Jeep made. Every now-and-then though I'd run into someone who use to have one and you could tell they were in awe over it.
                    ~Alex

Past Jeeps:
                    1974 J10 LWB 4x4 304 V8

Comment

• men in black
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jul 08, 2006

Welcome aboard from Michigan

You'll have to come to the next M/G at ZM jeeps in Maumee,Ohio
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
                      Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
                      Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
                      Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                        360 AMC
                        • Aug 08, 2010

wow so the OEM block is really stamped 304! You dont see alot of those.
                        Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
                        5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
                        SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
                        -1994 Baby Grand
                        -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
                        -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                        -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                        i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
                        i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• five16
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 19, 2011

Nice looking grab! Good Luck and Welcome from Winder Georgia.
                          You can teach what you know but you can only reproduce what you are.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Brad B.

Comment

• Headhoncho
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                            wow so the OEM block is really stamped 304! You dont see alot of those.
                            That's because they're all at the bottom of the ocean. I had one and couldn't give it away.

It is nice for them to stamp them. Beats pulling the heads to measure cylinders like 352/390 Fords.

JR
                            [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                            1966 mustang fastback
                            '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Rockwell_B1
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 28, 2011

Picked this thing up yesterday, had a fun 6hr 300mi trip or so back. No problems other than a small hiccup when we were about an hour or so from home. Seemed like it sucked something up in the fuel that it didn't like and wasn't getting enough fuel. Just had to pull over and let it settle and it was good for the rest of the way. Not sure how long it had been sitting so ran premium 93 in it all the way home to try and clean it up some. It started out with some hesitating when accelerating but things must have cleaned up because it started to accelerate and drive much better after a couple gallons of fresh fuel got through it. The fuel gauge though didn't seem to work very well so we were just sort of guessing and filling up after so many miles each time. Only put 12gals in when I got it, an then two or three more fill-ups of 7gals each time (we were basically stopping every 100 or so miles).

The suspension is pretty stiff and made for some fun bounces, almost like riding in a speedboat on waves with the way some of the roads were paved.

It needs a bit of TLC for rust, but it really isn't that bad and most of it is surface or only just starting to go through. The underside looks clean and the frame is in great shape with most of it still being black. No leaks to speak of, other than when I got it home found out the reservoir tank for the coolant doesn't have the correct top and the hose isn't in very well so that drips a bit. But mechanically the thing seems solid. I need to get out and test the 4wd but it'll be a few till I get to that.

It came with a bunch of spare parts like new door and window seals, bunch of new belts and gaskets, new front turn signals, new rockers and floorpans from BJs, and a bunch of other stuff. It also came with the headliner board, visors, and still has the original radio (that works) and clock in the dash.

And I found out it originally had a 360 in it, so not sure why a 304 was swapped in but it ran great. Seemed to run as good as an old K-10 I had that had Holley, Edelbrock, and everything else done to it so it would scream. No complaints at all with it, and it seemed to do decent on gas.

Now to just start tearing into the thing as I have time. I'll snap some better pics later today probably.
                              Last edited by Rockwell_B1; 07-15-2011, 05:53 AM.
                              ~Alex

Past Jeeps:
                              1974 J10 LWB 4x4 304 V8

Comment

Working...
                              X