• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coryd55
    350 Buick
    • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
    Sweet! Now, check, check, and triple-check everything during the rebuild and you'll get an extremely mechanically reliable 360. Do the same with the carb, fuel pump, wiring, and all the ignition components. Don't go cheap either, AMC V8s are like lil princesses.

I highly suggest going with Bulltear's nickel-plated timing cover/oil pump and oil filter plate.
    Will do.

Planning to bore 0.40 or 0.60 over. We are pretty much going all out as much as our budget will let us go. By the end of it we will have a powerful and reliable engine.

Updates later this week. Dropping the block and heads of at machine shop on Friday. Should get them back on Wednesday. Hopefully will get the engine running on Sunday.
    1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• Coryd55
      350 Buick
      • Jan 23, 2010

I just typed like a paragraph....accidentally clicked a link. Will revise this update later
      In a nutshell....I cleaned bellhousing and tranny with pressure washer (see pics). Also uploaded pics of the AC and intake.

Bellhousing BEFORE:

Bellhousing AFTER:

Tranny:

AC:

Edelbrock Performer Intake:

Comment

• Coryd55
        350 Buick
        • Jan 23, 2010

Rich and I ordered all the parts from NAPA.

Block is at the machine shop getting bored and milled. He is also taking care of some other stuff for us. We are probably going to send the heads over for him to look at and clean. We are going to end up getting about 11:1 compression and 380ish hp.

About to order a flywheel from a member on here (jeepguyp).

Approximate cost for everything is about $1600.00 (including machine work, parts, radiator, etc.) I will have a more detailed list later.

Thanks for checking on the thread,
        Cory
        Last edited by Coryd55; 06-12-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• MuleRider
          232 I6
          • Mar 19, 2010

I didn't see a quote on your list for exhaust or headers. Hope you reach your goal, but with a Rough Country 3in lift, and a set of 32 X 11.5 tires, I've already sunk 2,000 into my 82 Cherokee. Next plan is long headers, and 2.5in dual exhaust. My Mule's in good shape interior and exterior, and I still have little touch-ups I want to do. I can hear the nickels and dimes falling out of my pockets. But welcome to the greatest vehicle in the world, the FSJ.

Comment

• Coryd55
            350 Buick
            • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by MuleRider
            I didn't see a quote on your list for exhaust or headers. Hope you reach your goal, but with a Rough Country 3in lift, and a set of 32 X 11.5 tires, I've already sunk 2,000 into my 82 Cherokee. Next plan is long headers, and 2.5in dual exhaust. My Mule's in good shape interior and exterior, and I still have little touch-ups I want to do. I can hear the nickels and dimes falling out of my pockets. But welcome to the greatest vehicle in the world, the FSJ.
            I will be fabbing my own lift and the guy I am working with at the shop frequently gets cheap tires that come through (free set of 37"x14.5" R16 Super Swampers and $500 set of 35" 12.5" R15 Swampers but I have R17...frustrating). Due to this, a lot of the costs will be alleviated and most of our upgrades will be fabbed and not purchased. The main purchases are the car and the engine. Which I have already purchased.

I am eventually hoping to put about $6000 into it to get it complete to my standards. However, an engine is the most important component and we are doing it right the first time and should get no trouble out of it for a long long time.

Thanks for the post,
            Cory

Comment

• Coryd55
              350 Buick
              • Jan 23, 2010

Ordered flywheel last night from jeepguyp. $96 shipped. Should be here Friday.

Comment

• Coryd55
                350 Buick
                • Jan 23, 2010

NAPA Parts List

Flywheel got here Thursday, March 25, 2010. It was in great shape, just a little surface rust.

Here is a picture of the $1275.75 NAPA receipt ...too long to type so take a look at the photocopy (photocopy wasn't visible so I finally typed it up today in a nice pretty chart):

Last edited by Coryd55; 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Josh D
                  360 AMC
                  • Jan 17, 2002

Originally posted by Coryd55
                  Rich and I ordered all the parts from NAPA.

We are going to end up getting about 11:1 compression and 380ish hp.
                  Whats the rest of your build (cam, valvetrain mods, etc) and how are you achieving the 11:1 comp ratio (pistons)? Do you plan on running race gas?
                  '71 J2000 Gladiator
                  '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                  '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Coryd55
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 23, 2010

NAPA sent a kit for a 318. Took the pistons to the shop and they fell straight through (wasn't even bored over yet). Getting the appropriate kit ASAP.

Want to start soon...I hate complications.

Comment

• Coryd55
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 23, 2010

Got the appropriate 360 kit on Friday. Final machine work is being done this week.

Hopefully getting to work on the engine with Rich this weekend. Maybe get it mounted.

Pictures and updates later.

Comment

• cself
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 13, 2008

Hey Cory! Been a long time since I've checked this thread. Looks like you've made some good progess. Let me know when you get the engine in and I may drive down to check it out.

Comment

• Coryd55
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 23, 2010

Hey Corey.

I haven't had much time to work lately because of prom, finals, AP exams, and such. Hopefully I will get to put the engine in this weekend.

I will let you know when I get it in. I would love to have you down to see it.

Comment

• Coryd55
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 23, 2010

Today I got 20 sheets of 150 grit sand paper and 20 sheets of 220 grit. I also picked up some paint thinner and six cans of spray on auto primer by Rustoleum.

I will be getting two grinders soon. Once I get them I can start the long rust removal process. There is rust pretty much everywhere. The main places are the rear fender flares, edge of roof, around roof rack brackets, and floor pans. There is scattered rust elsewhere but those are the main spots of heavy rust holes and pitting.

Will post progress later.

I had an issue with my tailgate Friday that I fixed Sunday. I accidentally unscrewed the left locking mechanism. I had to wiggle a coat hanger in there to hold it up while I screwed it back in.

I will put up some pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• Coryd55
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 23, 2010

Here is the photo of the supplies I got May 24, 2010 (yesterday):

Also here are some pictures of the major rust areas as of May 24, 2010 (yesterday):

I have been in contact with some people on here and on the Georgia Club forum and will am planning to pick up some Edelbrock headers soon. Also I am planning on getting black seatbelts, a black steering wheel, a BJ's black carpet set, some side mirrors, and a set of shocks from members on here - currently awaiting replies and pictures.

Thanks for keeping up. Interesting and mechanical progress will begin soon (1-2 weeks) so don't be discouraged by my current progress.

Comment

• Coryd55
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 23, 2010

Today I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up some stuff. I got an air grinder, air sander, high speed metal saw, wire brushes, and screw extractor kit.

Used up some coupons and it came out cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X