• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matthew W. Woodruff
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 13, 2002

Any tips on removing/installing headliner material

I have two replacment headliner panels that I want to use to replace the sagging cardboard that is now in place.

Cardboard on the replacment is good, but the headliner material iself has to go.

It looks like the "cloth" part of the headliner will simply tear off, but will leave the foam rubber backing behind.

I have two questions:

First, I was going to scrape the foam rubber off with a putty knife or one of those big razor knives, but some people have said that they have sanded it off.

What do you use to sand it off? A sanding block and elbow grease or a power sander? What grit, etc.?

Second, how do you get the new material to adhere to the cardboard without stretching, bunching up, etc.?

Or should I just bite the bullet and go to an upholstery shop?

Thanks.
    Matthew W. Woodruff<br />[email protected]<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter
  • Quartermaster
    232 I6
    • Feb 13, 2003

I replaced my headliner by using the instructions someone else had written. These instructions can be found in the "Technical library/Interior/Headliner...".
    I used both a putty knife and a dual orbit sander. I tore off as much headliner material as I could by hand and then applied the sander to the reamining foam. I used a putty knife on the remainder. The material is available in the larger yardage stores such as micheals and oddly enough is called "Headliner Material". The spray on contact cement is made by 3M and is available for about $10 per can at home depot. I did mine about 1.5 years ago and I haven't had any problems with it. Easy but time consuming.
    1988 Grand Wagoneer (nude) 360 bored .03 over, Edelbrock performer intake/Carb/Cam, TFI upgrade, Thorley Ceramic coated headers, 3" High flow Cat, 70 series flowmaster, Espo springs (No lift) and air bags in the rear (for trailer towing), CS144 upgrade.

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

I found a dry sponge was best for removing the crumbling foam on my '88's backing-board.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• xj2fsj
        258 I6
        • Mar 14, 2002

As long as it's here, how does the headliner, the cardboard piece, come out? screws, clips, what holds it in?
        A blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm and a salami under the other...<br /><br />1979 Jeep Wagoneer AKA \"Odin\" 360/400/BW1339/fr44-rr44

Comment

• Quartermaster
          232 I6
          • Feb 13, 2003

On an 88 Grand, the trim piece above the rear window, the light in the rear, the channel that seperates the two headliner sections, the clothes hooks above the rear doors, the forward dome light, the trim above the windshield and the visors must removed and therefore hold up the headliner. After all of those are removed, simply push up on the centers of the headliner and pull them out of the side rails. Remove the entire unit through the back door/window. Don't do what I did and try prying the headliner out of the side rails, you'll only get bent trim. The piece that connects the two headliner sections is plastic and can be pulled straight down but may also offer substantial resistance. It snaps into a female part that mounts on the cross channel. I didn't have much trouble with it but I can imagine the whole assembly ripping out of the roof mounts.
          1988 Grand Wagoneer (nude) 360 bored .03 over, Edelbrock performer intake/Carb/Cam, TFI upgrade, Thorley Ceramic coated headers, 3" High flow Cat, 70 series flowmaster, Espo springs (No lift) and air bags in the rear (for trailer towing), CS144 upgrade.

Comment

• Manhattan
            304 AMC
            • Jul 30, 2000

anyone ever done a headliner with a sunroof.... it looks like a giant pain in the a$$!
            Mark

Comment

• Matthew W. Woodruff
              327 Rambler
              • Nov 13, 2002

Is it true that there are mounting points under the headliner in late-model GW's that you can use for 3-point seatbelts in the rear?

If so, what mods have to be made to the headliner to accomodated the belts?

I figure all of the following should be done at the same time:

1. fix any leaks caused by the roof rack
              2. install a rear spoiler (if you want/have one)
              3. install insulation between roof and headliner
              4. install 3-point belts in rear
              5. modify any electrical stuff for cargo light or
              overhead console

Anything else?
              Matthew W. Woodruff<br />[email protected]<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                360 AMC
                • Sep 18, 2000

Installation tip -

When your putting the new fabric on, do not press too much weight on it. In other words, don't lay your hand in the middle of it when you're reaching over. If you do, the fabric will glue itself together at that spot - causing some big concaves in the shape of a palm. Ask me how I know...
                Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• jeepthing
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 18, 2002

For those wondering how to get parts out of their car, do what I do, I just go to a local salvage yard and if I can find a GW, and if it's already shot, I just try tackling removing the part. I do my trial and error on that POS, and I'm ready to go on mine [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  1991 GW, 130K miles. Sand interior/Silver exterior.<br />TFI upgrade, Accell 8mm wires.

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Matthew W. Woodruff:
                    Is it true that there are mounting points under the headliner in late-model GW's that you can use for 3-point seatbelts in the rear?...
                    Not sure about an 88 but those hole were there in both the 68 and the 70 Wag's I have torn apart/still have.

Matt, check with Mtn Goat, he did some very nice recovering of his headliner.
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
                    X