LS rockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm finally making some progress on my build. Got the engine back from the machine shop and got it put together. Using the Speedmaster stainless, roller, adjustable 1.8 LS set. Had to machine off .125 from the pedestals that come with the kit and since the kit comes with metric bolts you will need to get some 5/16 x 1-3/4 so they will be the correct length. Then I will have to order 8.00" pushrods. Everything looking good so far.
    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Sweet! Post some pics, too!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

Again I am wondering why you are doing this? A lot of money, time and effort for almost nothing, there are already roller rockers out there for sale that fit with out modifications needed.

Comment

Because the ones that you are referring to are 4 times the cost of the ones I am using and my OEM valve train needs replacing anyway so there is very minimal additional cost in replacing my worn out stock stuff with new, adjustable, roller rockers. And most importantly....because I can.
          83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

More power to you, but some of these readers will think it some miracle power adder for super cheap which it is not. Be interesting if you post in the end with true cost of time, labor, machine work and parts and compare so we know.

Comment

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
              More power to you, but some of these readers will think it some miracle power adder for super cheap which it is not. Be interesting if you post in the end with true cost of time, labor, machine work and parts and compare so we know.
              I can promise you, no one reading this thinks it's a "super cheap, miracle power adder", geeze dude lighten up. And true cost? does anyone that owns one of these rigs REALLY keep track of the TRUE cost that we have in them. I'm taking my sweet time on this, working when I feel like it, with hand tools and a micrometer. After I get the new engine in it and broken in, I was even thinking of getting rid of the Holley ecm for the Projection and going with a microsquirt ecm and tuning it myself....if that's ok with you.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

Take it easy friend, we all have little projects just for fun no matter cost or time. There are people reading this looking for a miracle power adder for cheap, reading this post from the beginning, there are all kinds of tinkering that can be done, which can be fun if that is your thing. Again, have at it and share what you come up with so you can pass the info on to the next guy.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
                  ...REALLY keep track of the TRUE cost that we have in them...
                  6.8 million dollars and 456,352 man hours. At least is feels that way.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• pickledtoast
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 13, 2018

I'm at $50 for the LS rockers off ebay, $15 for the raw material from McMaster. Hardware is borrowed from work. Lunch hours machining instead of playing on the internet: "free".

Anyway, seat of the pants feel after advancing the cam 4 degrees for more idle vacuum and installing the higher ratio LS rockers: it feels slower, but hey at least I have enough vacuum at idle to activate 4wd, and it doesn't stall as much shifting out of park.

Comment

Last edited by Chevelleguy; 09-23-2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 15, 2010

Do they clear you valve cover?

Comment

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                          Do they clear you valve cover?
                          Not 100% sure on that yet. Old valve covers are super nasty right now and I don’t have my correct pushrods, so even if they were clean I can’t run them through the full operating range. If I have to I will get some chrome Edelbrock covers, those will for sure clear. But they do clear the way it sits.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 15, 2010

good.

Comment

• jcisworthy
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 01, 2016

LS Rockers

After using a valve 4.900 long and starting the sweep at the center of the valve stem, I will use a valve around 5" long in all future LS rocker arm swaps.

The LS rocker travels across the valve stem in a wide ark, therefore the rocker has to start its sweep on the intake side of the valve stem.

I am setting up a pair of heads next week and I will try to get some pictures up

Comment

• jcisworthy
                                232 I6
                                • Apr 01, 2016

LS Rockers

Using a .5020-.5050 long or so valve and keeping the valve lift to .550-.600 looks good for a bolt on setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X