• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Oil pump question.

Looked at a few of the oil pump rebuild threads and have a few questions. First off, I think this engine Had new bearings installed around 2002. Bearings have a date stamp. One of the piston tops was a banged up, like maybe it dropped a valve, but all cylinders were standard. Pump has a mid plate and it is worn.Do I need it and can I just clean it up using the glass and valve grinding compound. Also lots of small groves in the side of the pump gear housing. Is any amount okay, how much is to much. I will post a few pics.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Mid plate
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

pretty much normal wear on the pump. what a miserable design.

on the midplate,no you don't. all that midplate does is add another spot to leak oil.

it ranks up there with the oil line mod.

and did somebody use silicone on those gaskets?
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 440sixpack
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 21, 2016

I've seen worse. whatever you do don't try to smooth it up all that does is increase the tolerances.

The mid plate can be replaced, or don't use it if your adapter plate is in good shape.

Hard tell how bad your cover is by a picture but if it's decent I'd rather use it than a Chinese reproduction.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for the reply's. I will skip the mid plate, some sort of sealer was used on the gasket. I will check the clearance and ask a few more question later. Also had no oil pressure problems the year and a half I drove it.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

never silicone. i use aerosol copper coat there if at all.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

Okay, worked on the oil pump end cover, used a piece of glass and valve lapping compound.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Took about an hour and a half to get it good enough for me.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Before.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

After.
                    1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

Here is the plastigage. Drive gear is at .006
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Driven gear is at .004
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

So to my thinking, the timing cover mating surface is not flat or the top surface where the gears sit is worn, the drive gear side is more worn than the driven gear side by .002. Also the gears to cover has some grooving, but the thickest feeler gauge I can insert is .003 on either side. So with that said, do I have A usable cover? Thanks in advance.
                          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

So, should I lap the timing cover side to try and tighten up the clearance a little. The TSM say 2 to 8 thousands is spec, but .002 is preferred. Also I will never be able to get rid of the .002 difference between the gears.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Ristow
                              • Jan 20, 2006

lap the cover till the tolerance is nil,but the gears turn freely. it will increase as it heats up. i just do mine feel. if it's off the engine,yes i would work till i can;t feel any clearance but the gears turn freely.

Comment

Working...
                              X