X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by dusty
    its a torquie little thing. not like a 6bt it wont snap your neck as well but when the turbo lights it will break the rear tires loose in 3rd gear. it sure feels like a solid 180/400 (i dont want to over state the power it feels like it may be a little more) rig which it is comparible to the stock 6bt dodge used in 89-93 trucks. it moves jsut as well actually a little better than a stock 93 dodge since weight wise i am a little less. unfortunately with the rain and no rear window in yet the driving was limited to the few weather breaks.

chico to sonoma county is a short jaunt. get a hold of me some day you can take a gander and a ride pthen decide for yourself.

i dont think id ever put another 6bt in a waggy or comparible again this little bugger really impressed me especially with the mods. previous 4bt's ive never ventured to really mod this one i am having fun with
    I have driven a 1990 Dodge Ram W350 with the 6BT and it felt much less rensponsive than my J300 with the 4BT. I suspect the 6BT may not have been in good tune, though...
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• dusty
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by Mikel
      I have driven a 1990 Dodge Ram W350 with the 6BT and it felt much less rensponsive than my J300 with the 4BT. I suspect the 6BT may not have been in good tune, though...
      understate vs over promoting. id hate for someone to be disappointed. what about power to weight that 1990 had to weigh in at a hefty 6900 lbs the j300? 4900 or 4600? i'll have to agree mikel its definately snappy i am very happy with it but id hate to claim its a 200-210 hp 460-480 ft/lbs boogy monster without a rear wheel dyno sheet. but iot scoots hard with the injectors turbo and big intercooler on there.

also to add i found a bds electronic selenoid actuated Ford in line exhaust brake on a 6.9 ford with 3" exhaust. chenging the valve springs and installing that soon
      Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
      The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

understate vs over promoting. id hate for someone to be disappointed. what about power to weight that 1990 had to weigh in at a hefty 6900 lbs the j300? 4900 or 4600? i'll have to agree mikel its definately snappy i am very happy with it but id hate to claim its a 200-210 hp 460-480 ft/lbs boogy monster without a rear wheel dyno sheet. but iot scoots hard with the injectors turbo and big intercooler on there.

also to add i found a bds electronic selenoid actuated Ford in line exhaust brake on a 6.9 ford with 3" exhaust. chenging the valve springs and installing that soon
        Just stating my experience. That W350 was not a fast vehicle. By the way, my J300 has that very truck's D60/D70 axles, so it can't be THAT much lighter.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• dusty
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by Mikel
          Just stating my experience. That W350 was not a fast vehicle. By the way, my J300 has that very truck's D60/D70 axles, so it can't be THAT much lighter.
          da mn hosed again on a little detail. LOL
          Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• DieselSJ
            304 AMC
            • May 19, 2003

post 29 shows the size and it installed.

i'll have to look around for the measurements if thats what you are after.

it is a dodge w250 & w350 diesel 1991-93 factory intercooler. it has to be installed at a slight angle due to its size. it has pegs out the bottom that you drill and slot the rad support to accomodate and use rubber or urethane bushings to support
            Thanks! I missed that entire page.

Not necessarily looking for measurements, just ideas on mounting. Right now my trans and oil coolers are up there. I think I can stuff a slightly shorter one into there though. I'm limiting my boost to about 12psi until I can get an intercooler stuffed into there.
            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
            -99 XJ Limited.
            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• dusty
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 20, 2006

RPM performance put her on the dyno. It was a Mustang Dyno, The 4BT put down 201 HP and 487 FT LBS. I am going back later on in a few more weeks to take another stab we only got two pulls the third resulted in the dyno having a problem that was not repairable. i hope to do some tuning later might tighten up the AFC to clean up the low end smoke some. first pull we got 191hp / 443 ft/lbs second pull felt really good, seemed like it clicked well.

Mods were:
              366 gov spring, star wheel mid way, fuel screw in almost to runaway and then backed off ½ turn, diaphram rotated, Lennys 50 hp injectors, HY35W turbo 2003 dodge (HE341) welded wastegate (i would like to find one form a 2001-2002 dodge but this will work for now, 3 " exhaust , AFE air filter, dodge 91-93 intercooler with all 2.5" tubing.

broke the throttle cable dicking around in there so need to repair that. also waiting on the headliner.

pre turbo pyro readings 1250-1300 and slowly climbing past 1300 at WOT 33-34psi boost but we'll see when i adjust things back for a little less smoke.

you can put it in 1st gear 2wd and let the clutch out give it no throttle and it will sit there and do a burnout
              Last edited by dusty; 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

• JeepinPete
                304 AMC
                • Dec 09, 2003

Dang, that sounds like a lot of fun I am really looking forward to hearing your mpg numbers.
                Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• FSJ-Jackson
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 12, 2002

how much did the dyno pulls cost?
                  1974_J10 and a bunch of parts sitting around
                  built 401 with 460ish HP at the flywheel
                  soon to be sm465 & divorced NP205
                  Rockwells_16r20 Michelin XZL's
                  Still lots to do and $ to spend

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo
                  258/727/229
                  d44/AMC20 3.31
                  Saw this jem at the Pic-n-pull and bought it for $600 on the spot.

Comment

• JeepinPete
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 09, 2003

Any news?
                    Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                    Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                    Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• dusty
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jul 20, 2006

I am battling a low boost fueling problem. Way Too rich on the bottom end. heavy soot i amy have to change the injectors out for something smaller or the pump was fiddled with before i got hte motor in which case its going to be a bear to figure out whats been tampered with. on the top end the engine is very clean but low end its a smokey bastard even with all adjustments tightened up.

I've been tinkering with the wiring the last week so its been in the garage. i mounted the pyro and boost gauge in the clock hole. to teh right of the radio. I am still fiddling around with the tach. havent found a good spot for the sending unit on the alternator or the harmonic balancer.

As well the tailgate gear set and glass have been giving me fits and those Crown replacement handles suck donkey balls. i paint and clear coat the whole tailgate i put the new handle on and the gap between it and the tailgate is so close even with two gaskets that it still rubs the pain off. oh well i find another straight fully assembled tailgate some day with the manual crank and i'll paint it and put it in.

The 5speed is Wway wide on the ratio you'll need the 366 gov spring to make the rig really drivable. otherwise 3rd gear is tached at 2400 rpma dn 4th is 1400 when you shift if you are that fast otherwise you are at 1300 rpm and lugging it trying to recoup. otherwise the rig moves along quite well nothing like a 6syl but for 4 screaming squirls its a pleasant drive for sure.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

4 B T 's

come in bread trucks, frito lay trucks, UPS trucks and Fed Ex trucks

as well you can source them in the valley cheap when someone pulls them off a water pump due to CA emissions. become friendly with one of the guys doing change outs and find one that the state improperly drilled a hole in, i know of more than one person who found one with a hole drilled in a freeze plug instead of the block. change the governor springs put the correct engine adapter plate on and marry it to the bell housing of choice.

check out 4btswaps.com

also look on craigslist. currently there were 1 or 2 4bt's on there right now
                        Another source is construction equipment.
                        My brother's F-150 is powered by a 4BT from a large fork truck.
                        It was modified to work in an automotive, on the highway service.
                        Bryan Smith
                        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                        1986 Jeep J20
                        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                        1982 Jeep J10
                        - Has become a Long Term Project.
                        1981 Jeep J20
                        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                        Originally posted by Lindel
                        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Tyork_tex1984
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 04, 2008

Any updates?
                          2005 Wrangler Rubicon.
                          1989 Jeep Cherokee. Wrecked (soon to be ressurected)
                          1953 M38A1 in need of resto.
                          1947 CJ2A in need of resto.
                          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "Brutus." 360, TF 727, NP 229, 4.10s, and 3 GPM .

Comment

• dusty
                            327 Rambler
                            • Jul 20, 2006

its loud but the turbo and the fueling combo i have dialed in is pretty darned good towing it gets about 14-15 empty ive got her a little heavy on the fuel stil so 23-24 is where she's at now but when i say heavy on the fuel it's only when i am WOT i could do up to 36 psi boost but i backed the full power screw off to where i do 31 psi power is very smooth and snappy with a slight puff of light smoke off the line and thats it everything else is clean..... wel a mild not even noticable haze come out on long WOT grades.

very happy i towed my jeep cj on a light trailer up a 6% + grade 5 miles and held 55 -60 mph the whole way........

tbe 3k gov spring kit is a must with the 5 speed but you loose about 2-3 mpg because of the fun factor. throttle ivery responsive though.

Cab noise is moderately noisy at idle and around town or when on the engine anything over 20 psi is noisy but when cruising the noise is not horrible. definately worth the upgrade for $4300 for two motors and all the messing around i can still sell the other motor and i am in good shape i would have spent 3k on a 401 and eaten the other 1300 in fuel shortly. probably will sell the other motor here soon for 1800 to get it out of my way. i smoke this motor i'll be suprized

I like it the fact the AC and everything works makes it a complete project to me. i hate half ***. it will get sideways in the rain without much effort so id say she's pretty close to dialed. i still need an electric vacum pump for the heater ect but thats easy the ac is more important the next 8 months.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

• dusty
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jul 20, 2006

Now the clocked dana 300 is my only remaining PITA since it still likes to puke oil out the breather even after i lowered the oil level below the tail housing lowest bolt hole

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

• Tigger4X
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Nov 16, 2001

RAWKIN RIG BRO!!

SUBSCRIBED ... cuz your rig is absolutely SIK! And I need some place to swipe ideas from
                                Originally posted by will e
                                Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                                Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

Working...
                                X