• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spduffee
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2017

Found in the Bottom of the Transmission Pan/Filter

Hi All!
    Getting a lot done on the Wagoneer lately. The 360 is out, the engine compartment is clean, floorboards 1/2 way finished, flexplate arrived for the 304-install. I figured I'd change the transmission fluid/filter. When I pulled off the pan, this is what I found. Not at all what I expected. Am I unhappy? Does anyone know what this plastic-like stuff is? Where did it come from?

Thanks for your input.
  • King Zarkon
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 23, 2020

Can't see anything at that link...
    'Grande Verde' former Steamwhistle promo vehicle:
    70s AMC 360, 64 Wagoneer body & interior, 86 Cherokee frame

Comment

• spduffee
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2017

My bad. I had my wifi turned off and the photos did not upload.
      Should be able to see them now.
      Thanks for looking!

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

Clutch and/or band lining. Rebuild time .
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• spduffee
          232 I6
          • Jul 20, 2017

Originally posted by Ristow
          Clutch and/or band lining. Rebuild time .
          Is that all? Here I thought it was going to be bad news...
          Oh well...halfway there already.
          What kind of rebuild kit should I buy? There seem to be several options - Basic, Deluxe, Super Deluxe, Super Deluxe with Extra Super Deluxe Useless Crap, High Performance, Street & Strip, Rock Maniac.....
          Last edited by spduffee; 04-05-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Get the kit with bands or get them separate. What’s the end use? The torque converter will be crapped up as well. I would consider AW4 conversion if you will be highway running.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

TCI makes a good kit. Will have the front band. Rear band should not be needed. I would put a bolt in spray in as well .

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• spduffee
                232 I6
                • Jul 20, 2017

Originally posted by Ristow
                TCI makes a good kit. Will have the front band. Rear band should not be needed. I would put a bolt in spray in as well .
                Thank you both. Did you mean "sprag" (...bolt in spray...)? Aren't they part of the torque converter?

I guess my question was premature anyway. I should tear it down and see what's all fubar before buying the parts...

I'm afraid now that when I pull the transmission I'll discover the driveshaft is held together with superglue, or my np204 will disintegrate....The joy and privilege.....

Comment

The sprague is at the very back of the main case. There is a lockup update that gets 55-60 mph before locking. There are two different converters. I can tell from the valvebody or tip of the trans input shaft that goes into the converter. TCI probably has the first and second lower gear sets for the planetaries. Run a higher stall lockup and it will feel like a 4 speed auto even with 2.73 gears.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

Yeah sprag. Autocorrect messed it up.

Comment

• spduffee
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 20, 2017

Hi again! All the parts inside the TF 727 check out fine except the one band, whose lining fell apart. I have 2 questions for anyone in the know:
                      1- the front clutch assembly is supposed to have (according to ATSG manual) a "wave" snap ring at the top of the pressure plate. Mine is flat, obviously a "selective" type. Did the previous owner get lazy, or does it not matter?
                      2- the rear clutch plates have 10 teeth that fit into 12 slots of the housing. The manual mentions nothing of their orientation. Do the two areas with the voids match up on top of each other, or do they go in without matching them up? I did not realize this when I took them out. They remain in the same order, just don't know how they line up.
                      Once I get these answers I can put it all together.
                      Thank you very much,
                      Shawn
                      Last edited by spduffee; 04-19-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

as i recall....the wave ring softens the shift. so don't worry about it.
                        it would not matter on the clutch plates if the voids were lined up. what brand kit didyou get,i don't recall TCI kits having voided tabs on the clutches.

rebuilding a TC-727 for the GW. seems people ask about rebuilding these a lot. there is nothing to be afraid of in these,pretty simple piece of hardware. this one is getting a TCI Truckmaster kit. pretty much the same as the Pro-Super kit,but without the race type valve body mods,which are not needed in this app. the

Comment

• spduffee
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 20, 2017

Thanks very much Ristow! That makes sense with the wave ring. I may just get one, since I received the wrong reverse band and have to wait for that...
                          The steels were in great shape, so I did not buy new ones. In fact everything, except the one band, looks like new. I only saw one spot where a band lining piece was dragged against the drum on the way out. So I don't know what brand they are. All my new parts/gaskets are standard Pioneer, etc. Nothing special.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                            • Jan 09, 2011

The rear band doesn't take much stress in normal use. It only grabs for reverse and to give engine braking in manual 1st. Lots of downshifting to manual 1st where the vehicle has to rev up the engine wears the rear band as does abusive shifting into reverse, which tends to piss off the roller clutch too. Backing out the driveway in reverse then shifting into drive while still rolling backwards will really tear up the roller clutch.

Meanwhile, the front band is literally second gear. It wears any time a shift is made in or out of second gear.
                            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• spduffee
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 20, 2017

Thanks FSJunkie. The reverse band definitely aged better, was even thinking about re-using it for a second. Obviously I did buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X