X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FleetFox
    258 I6
    • Apr 04, 2018

not much to report on really. Rear axle got new seals, gasket, drums turned and a fresh coat of paint.

[IMG]0923181831 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

front axle is at the local shop getting re-geared and resealed. I pulled the hubs and knocked the rotors off. They got blasted and will get cleaned up inside. New bearings and seals for the hubs and the spindles.

[IMG]0923181832 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

more when the front is back from the shop

FleetFox
    Last edited by FleetFox; 10-13-2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• FleetFox
      258 I6
      • Apr 04, 2018

OK, back at it. The re-geared axle is back from the 4wd shop with new Motive gears to match the new D60 rear end. They also put new universals in the axle shafts. From here new ball joints, spindle bearings and seals, hub bearings, races and seals were all installed. To finish it all off, new cross drilled & slotted rotors, with a rebuild kit for the Warn Hubs. Thanks to my friend Sam who helped me put all this back together.

Hubs cleaned up and ready for refresh and installation:

[/url]1109182058 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Axle fresh from the shop, in primer waiting for paint

[/url]1103180100 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Shiny new parts:

[/url]1103180059 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

And all put together:

[/url]1111181520 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1110182334_Burst01 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1111181519a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

So, the drive train is basically done. I'm waiting on lift springs. The engine won't get built until spring. I will likely spend the winter working on the cab and other body parts killing time until i can take all these pieces and make it a rolling chassis. Until next time,

FLeet Fox

Comment

• FleetFox
        258 I6
        • Apr 04, 2018

Happy Holidays everyone. Got a little free time here and there and was able to make that shop time for the Honcho. Current focus is repairing the rust in the cab. It's not too terrible, but media blasting has turned up a lot of thin (read porous) metal. So away we go. Front floors we're patched as necessary. patches were made from sheet steel, braked and anvil worked to get them to fit

[IMG]1111181520a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1214182148c by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1214182148b by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next up were the rear floors where the cab back meets. Left side wasn't too bad. 2 Pieces, 1 floor piece and 1 filler piece for the cab back. Floor piece RH side before:

[IMG]1214182147 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1214182148a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Bent and fitted. Those little panel clamps are awesome:

[IMG]1215180025 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1215180025a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Welded in, planished and ground down:

[IMG]1215181434 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1215181434a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

The patch piece for the cab back was made and clamped in:

[IMG]1215181757 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1215181757a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

I drilled holes in the angle piece to "simulate" the factory spot welds. All welded up here:

[IMG]1215182141 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

I know some of you weld well, I weld Okay. I am doing this with a 115 volt flux core Lincoln. I would love to upgrade to a Multi-process machine and do this in true MIG with shielding gas, but I can't justify the cost. So the little fluxcore and the old Tombstone will have to do. Just lots of little dots and moving around on the panel to keep things from warping.

It was over 50 degrees today so I took the opportunity to put some coatings on while I had the chance. Bottom blasted and rust treated and shot with a basic primer. Well, 7/8ths of it anyways.

[IMG]1216181625a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

LH Driver's side rear is next, hopefully over new year's weekend. Again, Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you enjoy the pics.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

dang,...nice !

thanx for the photos

gives us something to drool over
          and dream about

very nice work
          i have said it a 100 times

"going to be an awesome truck,...i want it."

dave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• FleetFox
            258 I6
            • Apr 04, 2018

Thank you again Dave for the feedback. Plodding along here, dreaming about spring coming to Walton's mountain...and a rolling chassis..

Fleet Fox

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

ironic that you mention waltons mountain

i donated some signs to the waltons mountain museum in schuyler virginia
              ( where the real life waltons took place,.....the hamners in real life )

earl hamner was the real life john boy who kept a diary and had a hometown newspaper

i was scheduled to meet him when they had a reunion several years ago
              but his wife got sick and he could not attend

met a lot of the cast and their real life counterparts whom they portrayed on the show......it was fun.

talk about Sur-real experience !

jeep discussion leads to waltons,....funny.

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• FleetFox
                258 I6
                • Apr 04, 2018

More progress. The rest of the rear cab floor rot on the driver's side has been replaced. Things were worse on this side than the Pass side. I actually cut a third of the floor brace out on this side because the floor rot had crept beneath it as well.

[/url]1215182142b by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1228182252b by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1230181741 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

We flipped the cab back on it's feet and media blasted the firewall and the back side of the cab as well.

[/url]0106191433 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0106191433a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

At this point, there's some small welding stuff to clean up and a little cab corner work left to do, then it's on to primer. Weather seems to be dictating progress a bit as one might expect. More to come soon,

Fleet Fox

Comment

• FleetFox
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 04, 2018

Long post ahead, lots of pics.... Cold and wet, things have been moving kind of slow. All of the cab metal work is now done. The roof corners needed some small patches and welding. The metal is real thin from the stamping. Took a lot of patience, a lot of hours filling and grinding right here:

[/url]0217191953 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

The driver's side cab corner was showing some rot after blasting. So I tried out one of these new prefabed repop cab corners. It was OK, but not life changing. I AM glad they are starting to make these pieces now though.

[IMG]0119191610a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Been busy in the blasting booth, at least one whole day each weekend. Finished parts are stacking up. Just a few more pieces and the front half of the truck will be ready for primer and final body work. Just need a few 65 degree days to shoot it all. Shouldn't be long now for that.

[/url]0223191722 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Away from all the body work, the engine has been crated up and sent to the builder. Hope to have some updates on that in the next few weeks.

[/url]0118191050 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0121191101_Burst01 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sometimes you just get the urge to put aside the messy stuff and bolt on new clean stuff. New brake lines AND fuel lines from Inline Tube. I really can't say enough good things about Inline. The put together a brakeline kit to accomodate my d-60. But the real clincher was with the fuel lines. They don't have a set in the catalog for the short bed j-10's. So I called and chatted with one of the guys there and he asked if I had my originals. I did. He said "send them in and we'll make a copy for you gratis. Then we'll add the dimensions to our files." So, big win for me there. They need 3 distinct copies to add it to the catalog permanently. So if you have a set, I suggest you reach out to them. For yourself, and for the rest of the FSJ community.
                  Done talkin'. More pics..

old/ original:

[/url]1209182240 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1209182241 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

New ones, partially installed:

[/url]0303191532 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0303191532a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0302192347 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's it for now, more to come in the near future, I promise. Little tease..

[/url]52995389_10155853203495826_4502181064097136640_n (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fleet Fox
                  Last edited by FleetFox; 03-05-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

Nice work and progress. Gotta ask though, what's with all the leaf springs?
                    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by bkilby
                      ... Gotta ask though, what's with all the leaf springs?
                      YEAH! You can't drop a grenade pic like that and not explain it! 2 FSJs and pallets of springs?!?! Tell the story!!!!
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• FleetFox
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 04, 2018

That's a pic from BJ's warehouse. Lift kits have been on back order while they changed suppliers. I, and others have been waiting patiently for months for those pallets to arrive in that warehouse. They are packing and shipping back orders this week. Once mine arrive, this thread will get a heckuva a lot more interesting. I believe those rigs in the backround belong to billyrb here.

FLeet Fox

Comment

• Driftwood
                          350 Buick
                          • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by FleetFox
                          I need more info on the yellow Case garden tractor in the background of this pic. Is it a 180 model?

Memories

My Dad bought a used 1965 Case 130 garden tractor in 1973. It had hydro static drive on it. My brother and sister drove that thing around for years until the gear box broke on it. It never had a mower deck on it. Surprisingly, it still sits in the field at my dads home. I could never restore it. It is missing to many parts.

My Dad built a small dump trailer in 1977 to tow behind it. I still have it sitting here at the house. He gave it to me a couple of years ago. I was very excited to have it.
                          1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• FleetFox
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 04, 2018

The Case is a 1973 model 444. 14 hp Kohler with a hydraulic pump mated that runs the drive, lift and optional 3 point hitch. These are really designed and built like small farm tractors. 850 pounds, all steel, no plastic at all. The original CUT. The design is still made and sold under the Ingersoll name. Parts are around, and there is a good support network on forums for Case Colt Ingersoll. These are wonderful machines, they are not lawn mowers. I would say what you have, is worth spending some time on. But I digress

[/url]1117181535 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1117181534 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fleet Fox

Comment

• FleetFox
                              258 I6
                              • Apr 04, 2018

Ok lot's going on the last few weeks. The new leaf springs finally arrived, the new 6" Deaver kit from BJ's.

[/url]0315191642 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Took a few hours, but Sam and I got everything bolted together without drama. Finally on the rollers. Much easier working with a bare frame and a clear(er) shop.

[/url]0316191618b by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0316191618 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0316191617a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now that I can roll the chassis out of the shop for the day, I have 2x as much working room. Converted the blasting booth to a paint both and sprayed epoxy primer on the cab and the front clip. pics stink, but once I get going spraying, it's run and gun before the temperature window closes.

[/url]0310191709 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cab bottom is now done. Epoxy, seam seal, epoxy x2, paint, undercoat. Ready to dropped back on her feet. Here's the in between:

[/url]0330191705 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

So in the middle of all this I've been doing the body work on the cab, and the rest of the front clip. Dolly the dents, little skim with filler and tons of blocking. Cab needed far more than I had originally thought. The roof looked like a hail storm, after the first block it was like..ugggh. But it's 90%, there. The weather has been smiling on me, so I paint as much as I can. 60s to 70s temps, low or no humidity, slight breeze, NO bugs at all. Been a dream. Everything from the cab forward is now in several coats of High Build, now for more blocking and fine tuning. Anyways, here's some crummy pics of the hood before and after. I had 2, but believe it or not, the original was the better of the 2.

[/url]0308192343a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0330191706 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Taking a couple of weeks off here for some family time. With the springs on I can move in parallel tracks. Some time bolting items back on the frame, some time blocking body parts. Keeps it all from getting monotonous and from rushing some things. Stay tuned, thanks for reading.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 25, 2016

a lot of work done.......

the results look nice

especially the underside photo with the seam sealer,...great job.

going to be one fine j-10.

dave in NC
                                SOLSAKS - dave
                                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                                1988 grand wagoneer
                                2004 RUBICON jeep
                                Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X