• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdaniel83
    350 Buick
    • Sep 26, 2008

Nice find and welcome!
    '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
      Shakes hands with danger
      • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by joe
      Sounds perfect. Screw your brothers lift/big tires BS plans. Let him molest/butcher his own dayum truck...email or PM and I'll add a quick grand profit to your purchase price.
      Wow, tempting though that is - not yet, thank you, though it sure is encouraging to have that kid of offer right off the bat. And rest assured, it I do lift or modify this, I'll do my best to do so in a completely reversible fashion. There's a reason I sought out an unmodified vehicle. It's not that I think stock is always best so much as that I tend not to trust other people's engineering and quality control standards like I do my own.

Our ZJ has a Rubicon Express lift on it, but it's all bolt-on, and completely reversible in case one wanted to go back to stock. Nothing has been cut or welded.

One of my MR2s has a stroker motor that is so far from stock it has to use a Porsche timing belt, but the car's structure has not been a modified. A stock engine would still bolt right in. Nothing that is hard to find or replicate gets chopped up around here.
      Last edited by DarkMonohue; 12-14-2012, 07:43 AM.
      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• nc wagoneer
        350 Buick
        • May 08, 2012

Sweet truck!!! You guys out west are unfair j/k, looks a lot better than the j20 I just purchased Friday!!! Where do you find the gear ratio on the diffs??? I saw the clearly cast "60" on the back right side of the diff. cover on mine and was wanting to know the gear ratio. That's a really nice, clean, truck you've got there. Can't wait to see the build thread
        old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
        Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
        "BROWED AND PROUD"
        Originally posted by fulsizjeep
        Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

That's a great looking truck you've got there. For a very good price as well.

I wouldn't lift it personally. It will perform very well for you in stock form for what you want to do with it. Lifts on work trucks that never see any serious off road seem silly to me. Put some good traction tires on all four corners and you will be good to go.
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by nc wagoneer
            Where do you find the gear ratio on the diffs??? I saw the clearly cast "60" on the back right side of the diff. cover on mine and was wanting to know the gear ratio.
            On my truck, there's a tag on the left side of the differential cover. By "left" I do not mean driver's side, but your left side when you are looking at the diff cover. It looks something like this:

I borrowed that image from http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monke...e-gallery.html. The caption under the image read, "Just a little tidbit of information: if your axle has a tag like this, it should display the gear ratio and/or the number of teeth on the ring and pinion. Divide one into the other to get the axle ratio."
            Last edited by DarkMonohue; 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
              it I do lift or modify this, I'll do my best to do so in a completely reversible fashion.
              Sorry reversible mods is a deal breaker for me, but enjoy your truck it's a nice one.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tin Medic
                Loose (lug)Nut(s)
                • Mar 21, 2011

Thats a pretty nice find. It does have to be said, the only downside is its a browless J-20, but I wouldnt have let it get away either.
                Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
                Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                  Shakes hands with danger
                  • Jul 01, 2012

Thanks. My only real lament is that it's browless. Beggars, choosers, etc.
                  Last edited by DarkMonohue; 12-14-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• jeeper54
                    350 Buick
                    • May 25, 2009

Man, you are off to a good start. I didn't find any that nice down here at that price.
                    Currently without
                    Formerly
                    1986 G.W. 360
                    1986 Eagle Wag
                    1985 G.W. 360
                    1984 Eagle Wag
                    1981 Wag 360
                    1978 Wag 401
                    1981 Cherk W/T 258
                    1966 Wag Super 327
                    Not counying XJs'.
                    [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

• jeffs396
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 09, 2009

Welcome to the J20 club!

Nice original truck you've got there, have fun with it
                      Jeff S.

Current 1:1 Jeep(s):

1974 J20...original 401, NP205, TH400, D60, HD44

Lots and lots of scale Jeeps

Comment

• Brizio
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Apr 11, 2008

Nice rig!
                        brizios.com
                        Small Scale Jeeps
                        Brizios

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Wow! Nice Truck!
                          As much as I dislike the looks of a running board, I do feel that they do a good job of protecting the body.
                          So, it seems the running boards on your truck has protected and saved that body from "Tin Worm"
                          "Tin Worm" word lives strong here in the Midwest

Just something for you to consider: Your truck now is a 3/4 ton truck.
                          If you install an over the counter lift kit, does not matter the brand, you will reduce your truck back to a 1/2 ton pickup.
                          Lift springs are not rated for 3/4 ton duty.
                          With some exceptions, the Lift Kit manufacturers target 1/2 ton rated rigs, like Wagoneer, Cherokee and J10 trucks for their products.
                          Zack from ZM Jeeps has some connections and has had some lift springs made with the 3/4 ton ratings.
                          If I recall, custom springs are not cheap.

Also something that caught my eye.
                          Your Speedometer goes to 100MPH
                          I was under the impression by this time, that Jeep only installed speedos were marked to 85MPH.
                          I wonder if someone switched an instrument panel from an earlier model rig?

Yes, I'd like to be inline in case you would like to sell it.
                          A nice, clean, red J20 with no cab brow would be my ideal truck!
                          Bryan Smith
                          2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                          - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                          1986 Jeep J20
                          - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                          1982 Jeep J10
                          - Has become a Long Term Project.
                          1981 Jeep J20
                          - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                          - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                          ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                          Originally posted by Lindel
                          Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                            Shakes hands with danger
                            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                            Your Speedometer goes to 100MPH. I was under the impression by this time, that Jeep only installed speedos were marked to 85MPH. I wonder if someone switched an instrument panel from an earlier model rig?
                            I'm not sure. Maybe someone else here knows more than we do. I did notice that the instrument panel illustrated in the owner's manual also featured a 100MPH speedo, but that probably doesn't add much credibility.

Thanks for the thoughts on lift springs. That's something be addresses later on, if at all, so there's plenty of time to make an informed decision, then change my mind seven or eight times, then do things the hard way.

Unfortunately, the guy who had the tires I wanted is now not sure they are available since he may be selling the truck he has them mounted on. Oh well. I have a little time.
                            Last edited by DarkMonohue; 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                              Señor Jackhead
                              • Aug 21, 2002

I could be wrong but pretty sure AMC bumped the FSJ speedos to 100 mph in 1984.
                              Flint
                              Ran when parked.
                              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• jdaniel83
                                350 Buick
                                • Sep 26, 2008

The three '85 model GW's I've been in all had that same instrument cluster that you have in your truck.
                                '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

Working...
                                X