• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KdkGrizz
    232 I6
    • Jul 18, 2014

EFI and the Stock gas cap

Hey everyone, I am planning on updating my 82 Waggy with a Holley Sniper EFI, backed up by the Novak adapters in tank lec fuel pump. I was thinking about one of my early 2000's cars that used to have the occasional CEL come on, and it was most always the gas cap. So I know the fuel tank vents to the filler neck. But I currently run a stock old school AMC gas cap (Non Vented). My gut tells me that this has the potential for problems. I can find nothing on Holley's, FiTechs, or Novak's sites about this.

Anyone else thought about this, or experienced an issue?

Grizz
    Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
    360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

The gas tank does not vent to the filler neck. You get a CEL when the filler neck leaks, not when it's sealed.

The tank vents to the vapor recovery system; ie the charcoal canister under the hood. This should work fine with your EFI without any changes. All you need to do is delete the carburetor bowl vent to the canister.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

It's a non issue.
      Only time you'd have potential for a problem is if you did not vent the tank adequately like with the vapor canister.

No aftermarket system(that I'm aware of) has standard monitors or codes like an OBDII compliant system.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• KdkGrizz
        232 I6
        • Jul 18, 2014

Originally posted by babywag
        It's a non issue.
        Only time you'd have potential for a problem is if you did not vent the tank adequately like with the vapor canister.

No aftermarket system(that I'm aware of) has standard monitors or codes like an OBDII compliant system.
        I wasn't worried about CEL. I was more worried about if it would affect my performance of the new system if the gas cap was not vented.

Unfortunately my canister is AWOL. It was removed before I inherited the Waggy. I currently have a differential style vent in the end of the vent hose.
        Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
        360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Again a non issue, long as it is vented in some form or another.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
          X