350 Buick
    • Jan 23, 2010

Oxidization, will take care of that.

Under the hood.

Wheels

Random Parts

Inside

1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• billyj7175
      304 AMC
      • Sep 10, 2001

X4 or 5...

I have seen a few writeups on how to hotrod a 305...and the end result was pretty impressive...but it was costly to do...

I think a stock 305 made maybe 200 hp?...I dunno, but I do know they were pretty gutless...I had one in a 85 shortbed chevy pickup...course the 2:73 gears didn't help it either...
      83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
      360/727/229
      4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• Coryd55
        350 Buick
        • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by billyj7175
        X4 or 5...

I have seen a few writeups on how to hotrod a 305...and the end result was pretty impressive...but it was costly to do...

I think a stock 305 made maybe 200 hp?...I dunno, but I do know they were pretty gutless...I had one in a 85 shortbed chevy pickup...course the 2:73 gears didn't help it either...
        Yea it is something like 200 HP

I talked to the guy at the machine shop. He said we could get about 400-420 HP and comparable torque for about $1200-1500.

Comment

• El Jefe
          350 Buick
          • Feb 04, 2005

I got a 76 Cherokee and put a Chevy 350 in it. Its been in there for 13 years or so. and honestly if I was to do it again. I wouldn't. only reason I went that route is my 360 needed a rebuild and I had all the stuff for the chevy swap laying around. I havent anything bad to say about the Chevy, but just would like it to be more original. I still want a 258, really really want a 258.
          Alex

76 Cherokee Chief
          350/th400/d20
          d44/14b
          4" lift, 35 inch retreads

Comment

• skeletor
            350 Buick
            • Jan 31, 2006

thats a mopar 360. AMC is not mopar...two completely different engines.
            1984 j10 LWB - for sale
            1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
            2004 LJ - sold
            2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
              Welcome!

(I hear they suck up to 40 or 50hp, not sure but it sure as heck feels like it)
              That is being really conservative. Add about 100.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Coryd55
                350 Buick
                • Jan 23, 2010

Put the 17" wheels on with some 35" tires, except the right rear; it is a 33". They have about 0 tread and are just on for an idea of size.

I also cleaned out the interior. I found some walnuts? Makes you wonder...

Pics tomorrow.

Comment

• Coryd55
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 23, 2010

Pics of new/test wheels/tires and snow in Georgia...truly a rare sight.

Gotta represent IFSJA

Got some cleaning done...I found all sorts of things. Old newspaper, walknuts, etc...

I have a lead on a complete and running 360 for $350 with an Edelbrock Performer, new top end and new chrome valve covers. Might be a possibility. But then again that leaves me with a random 305 longblock. But I can always turn around and sell it. Opinions?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/1594135081.html

I have some problem with my manual rear window. When it gets almost to the top it gets stuck and I have to fidget with it for a good minute and then it pops into place. Do I need new channels or is there an easier fix? Also sometimes my tailgate/hatch/trunk? gets stuck when I try to open it and I have to yank it down. Will some WD40 or something help that or is that a more costly solution?

Cory

Comment

• azpackrat
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 20, 2009

My opinion is, if you want a Chevy, buy a Blazer, if you want a Jeep, buy the 360.
                    ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

• jaber
                      Dragin Az
                      • Oct 17, 2003

I agree with getting the 360 and selling the 305. You have a manual trans, which means you'd have to swap a different trans, or buy an adapter. In the end, the 360 will save you money.

Very nice Cherk. WTG....
                      Jeff

'43 cj2a
                      '51 Willys p/u
                      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                      '68 Panel Delivery
                      '74 CJ5
                      '75 J-20 Wrecker
                      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                      '77 J-10 p/u
                      '79 Cherokee
                      '88 Grand Wagoneer
                      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• mcjeep80
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 07, 2008

pull the cover on the tailgate. one of the slides on the bottom of the window may be coming off. mine were rusted off so i couldnt put them back on. i put in another window. hopefully you have better luck with yours.
                        '80 WT.cherokee-tbi454/4l80/241c
                        welded rockwells/ PSC full hydro /3"body lift
                        front soa on 3" springs/inboarded 63s rear
                        42x15x16.5 TSLs on 8 bolt H-1s

'77 Honcho, 454/th400/div.205
                        3" body lift/3" of aal
                        35x12.5x16.5 thorn turds

DD/Tow rig, 2005 5.9 Cummins 3500 CC/LB

Comment

• Coryd55
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 23, 2010

I'll check out the window later today when I get a chance.

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully the 360 will work out.

Comment

• Coryd55
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 23, 2010

First and foremost I have an updated list of everything for my build. (See first page)

Next, I am sure you will all be happy to know that I got a 360 from Corey Self (member on here and GA board), as well as an Edelbrock Performer Intake, an Edelbrock Carburetor, an Air Cleaner Assembly, and an underdash AC unit (brown/tan). I got all of this for $550. He also gave me the gasket for the intake from BJ's but didn't have the receipt so I'm gonna mail him a check once he gets me the price.

I will be selling the 305 as soon as I can (will be puttin gth emoney back into the Jeep). If anyone is interested then shoot me a PM and we can work it out. Looking for $300. It is a long block.

I have decided to keep the three-piece bumpers and just do the tube bumpers/brush guard over them.

Got some minor detail work done a.k.a polishing. I polished two door handles, one window crank, two ash tray covers, and some sort of overhead light fixture. Pics below. I also got a chance to rummage through some of the parts and I have a whole bunch more parts than I knew I had. Both a blessing and a curse I suppose.

Polished Items:

Engine Pictures (multiple angles) - I know....it is a little bit dirty...just a little

Last edited by Coryd55; 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• mike12
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 08, 2009

i like the 6

i have a 1986 gw with a 360 and a j1980 j10 with a 258 6 the 360 gets 10 mpg most of the the time 258 get,s 18 mpg hy and 12 in town . 360 lots of power, 258 saves money. and lookes cool to mike 12 j10 driver most of the time

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                                All Makes Combined
                                • Jun 30, 2003

Sweet! Now, check, check, and triple-check everything during the rebuild and you'll get an extremely mechanically reliable 360. Do the same with the carb, fuel pump, wiring, and all the ignition components. Don't go cheap either, AMC V8s are like lil princesses.

I highly suggest going with Bulltear's nickel-plated timing cover/oil pump and oil filter plate.
                                Rob
                                1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                                Click for video

Comment

Working...
                                X