• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Red20
    grand_wag_85, that looks BAD, man. I cringed seeing those pictures.
    It was. Jeep spun 270* and nearly flipped. Walked away without a scratch.
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Wasn't scared at the time (other than almost hitting the horse and gas leaking inside with the motor still running)

Not too long before that a brake line failed (steel line, no rust but it was rubbed through by the cab moving around) as I was going down James Street in Seattle towards first ave (picture a hill in San Francisco with people at the bottom) I laid on the horn and people stopped moving so I swerved around them, ran the red light and spun the truck into a parking space (360 plus 90) on a one way street and slapped it in park. Nothing hit but nerves were frayed!
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• gsmikie
        Auto Trannie God
        • Feb 18, 2001

i got you all beat ...... the day i brought my 3rd wife home in my SJ
        I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Colliding with a motorcycle head on at 50 MPH 1300 miles from home in NM. Got the truck airborne jumping it over him. Truck was totalled and no where near drivable. Motorcycle broken in a thousand pieces. The guy walked away from it once he came to and continued their trip home on the back of his wife's bike. I had the j20 towed and rebuilt over the following 3 weeks then returned home. That was my first trip to Ouray,CO 2006, the J20 has still never made it there.
          Trying to take it to Ouray in 2007 resulted in a blown brake line as I was heading over a hill going down to the Ohio River bank. The line failed as a result of landing on the motorcycle the year before.. His handle bar went up inside my frame rail right next to the gas tank and nicked the line.
          Tom Gibson
          1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
          1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
          1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
          2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• brushawg
            258 I6
            • Dec 17, 2006

Had just gotten off work,going home in the j20. Picked up speed to get on the curving frontage road for interstate 35, as I got into the curve the steering wheel just started turning while the truck was going straight! Across 2 medians and 4 lanes of highway. Got it stop before the creek by popping the clutch. Steering linkage had come loose
            Just
            Expect
            Every
            Problem

Got to love them

Comment

gsmikie----got to give it to you man, you win
              Art
              ASE Master Collision Tech
              "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• threepiece
                350 Buick
                • Sep 17, 2005

I have an unusual story that happened about fifteen years ago. It does not involve my well-being but scary nonetheless.

I bought two FSJ's that were parked perpendicular to each from a salvage yard up north. One was a 1975 Cherokee, the other was a J-200. It was early spring and the ground was very soft. The plan was to pick up the Cherokee with the articulating Cat loder and set it on my trailer. The operator lifted the Cherokee first but as he tried to turn in reverse the loader became stuck in the ruts with the Cherokee positioned over the J200. He could not set the Cherokee down so he tried repeatedly so squirm and shake his way out with the Cherokee teetering on the forks of the loader. For a minute or two I did not think this was going to go my way but he managed to get out without droping the Cherokee atop the truck.
                FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                Resistance is not futile yet.
                Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• CustomWag
                  304 AMC
                  • Oct 10, 2005

Originally posted by brushawg
                  Had just gotten off work,going home in the j20. Picked up speed to get on the curving frontage road for interstate 35, as I got into the curve the steering wheel just started turning while the truck was going straight! Across 2 medians and 4 lanes of highway. Got it stop before the creek by popping the clutch. Steering linkage had come loose
                  Lordy! Sounds like a really bad nightmare that you wake up from to find is real.

Oh, and gsmikie, one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
                  Rick
                  84 Custom GW
                  360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
                  Manual windows/locks/seats

Comment

• pyro
                    258 I6
                    • Sep 15, 2012

having a trailer push you downhill and off the shoulder of the road into a tree line at 40mph...

'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                    '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Comment

• Red20
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 19, 2010

That's an awfully clean truck to be denting up like that, pyro. That stinks.
                      -JoshUSMC

"Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." -Adam Welchel

1985 J20 "BigRed" 360/727/208/44/60 Edelbrock Performer Intake, Carb, Cam, MSD 6
                      1974 J10 "Ugly Monster" VERY SADLY SOLD!
                      1969 Javelin SST "Yet Unnamed" 290/BW M40 (360 build in the works with a built TH350)

Comment

It does, but the decal on the t-gate fits in this instance
                        Art
                        ASE Master Collision Tech
                        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

the roll that took the top away for me. in the winter months and rain I sure do miss that extra weight.
                          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                          Originally posted by johnny019
                          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• threepiece
                            350 Buick
                            • Sep 17, 2005

I drove my freshly restored Wagoneer and trailer down to Little Rock Ar from Mi to pick up a J truck. I was alone, it was in the middle of summer durring a nationwide heat spell, I had no AC and it was the first time I ever towed with a Wagoneer, but that was not the scary part.

I had the trailer positioned in front of the J truck, which did not run and was parked on a slope. I had a cable come-along puller riged and was pulling the truck onto the trailer when I heard a strange sound. I stoped for a bit to think and look but I did not notice anything unusual so I continued winching. On the next pull of the lever the entire assembly of vehicles began sliding down the slope. As soon as I realized this I jumped off the trailer to the Wagoneer. Lucky for me I had left the driver door open as there was no time to open it before the Wagoneer would hit a tree. There was no time to stop or jump inside either as the speed was increasing so I pulled a hard left on the steering wheel which sent me in the direction of another tree about thirty feet away. I was then able to get inside the and push the brake which stoped everything.

I should have known to block the front wheels or engage the front axle first as I have experienced this condition before although not nearly so dramatic.
                            FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                            We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                            We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                            Resistance is not futile yet.
                            Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• badaboom
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jun 05, 2001

What a trend........
                              Dropped rear axle twice over the years once at 55 mph fighter pilot going down, plus once in parking lot 8 mph just dropped to the ground.

Had a group of deer bump up in front of the truck snagged one right up front thanks for the grill guard came out ok, 55 plus MPH.

Off-Roading up in the rockies MTNS on a pretty tuff step rocky road following in a group bell crank stud sheared fell to the floor at the time. in I believe 4 high first gear.

I think that's about it over 25 years for major confrontations

Trend here - Check you AMC model twenty rear axle bearings regularly !
                              1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• Billygoat
                                304 AMC
                                • Mar 16, 2004

no comparison to GSMIKIE or Ristow

I was just laying by the trouble light....

The jackstand in the forground was in my hand, I was going to raise the truck and and support under the frame, there were 2 under the axles (you can see a little bit of red under the driver front hub, that is the remains of 1 stand)
                                I notice it starting to wiggle while I was under neath and got the heck out of their. It had been sitting on the stands for a few days, only thing I can figure is the weather was warming up and the ground thawed.

Comment

Working...
                                X