X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by SD_RED
    Well now I am seeing a lot more support for the plastic lines.

I am curious now:
    who has had the plastic lines actually leak now?
    What brand?
    How did you route the line?
    Where did the leak occur?

Same ?'s to those who have had a copper line leak.

It's starting to sound like the greater variable is method of use, rather than copper vs. plastic.
    My only negative experience with the plastic line was with the Autometer kit. Anecdotal, since I only bought the one gauge, but it would not seal at the gauge end. Put it together according to the instructions, and again put vacuum tubing over the plastic tube. But it leaked around where the tube enters the nut. I expect the ferrule at the gauge end somehow did not seat properly.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rich88
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by SD_RED
      Where did the leak occur?

Same ?'s to those who have had a copper line leak.
      Leaks occur at the ferrules if not aligned & tightened just right. Applies to both copper or plastic.
      Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
      "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Dumpy
        304 AMC
        • Jan 30, 2009

My plastic tubing vibrated too close to the manifold. Oil everywhere. Pulled over at autozone, bought copper, and no problems
        Justin
        '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
        "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• Rich88
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Dumpy
          My plastic tubing vibrated too close to the manifold. Oil everywhere. Pulled over at autozone, bought copper, and no problems

Ouch....Mine takes off directly to the left and routed up on the fenderwell and wire-tied to stuff so's not to do exactly that.
          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• REDONE
            304 AMC
            • Aug 19, 2002

Again, I'm using both simultaniously on the same line. I have copper in the engine compartment due to the heat there. I have it zip tied to the main wiring harness across the firewall, and just above the brake booster I have a union to join it to plastic line so I could route it through the firwall and to the gauge. There's a lot of bends from that union to the gauge and I didn't want to bend the copper over and over and I also wanted some play in the line since my gauge is mounted in my cluster. I wanted to be able to pull my cluster out to undo everthing from the back, rather than under everything from under the dash, should I have to take the cluster out again.

Here's the gauge, I'll try to get some pics of the line tonight.
            2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
            79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
            304/T18/D20/D44s
            What's been did:
            Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
            MSD Streetfire based TFI
            Custom-hack gauge cluster
            Razor swap
            Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
            2 knob tape deck!
            3" homebuilt lift
            Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• Dumpy
              304 AMC
              • Jan 30, 2009

Originally posted by Rich88
              Ouch....Mine takes off directly to the left and routed up on the fenderwell and wire-tied to stuff so's not to do exactly that.
              Yeah, was new to working on cars and did it in a hurry. I was literally 2 miles from the parts house when the line went, so I just tied it off and limped in.
              Justin
              '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
              "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

Originally posted by Rich88
                Leaks occur at the ferrules if not aligned & tightened just right. Applies to both copper or plastic.
                when useing plastic,really nylon,you have to use the little insert(name eludes me at the moment) in the end of the tube or it will leak.
                85 gw 215k and still going
                castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• RWC
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 18, 2001

I've run both copper and plastic. The only problems I've had with plastic were melting it on a header pipe (my fault for not routing/securing it better), and a plastic line my father installed circa 1986 finally cracked on me in 2007.

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                    360 AMC
                    • Sep 24, 2000

My truck had a plastic line that cracked in 1999. I replaced it with copper and no leaks to date.
                    I put a couple coils on the sender side, but not the gauge side, and ran it through grommets and used brass ferrules.
                    Tip: don't bend too tightly and don't cut it with a tube cutter unless you stick a small nail in the tube first.
                    '64 J200 thriftside
                    '67 J2000 townside custom cab
                    '68 Jeepster Commando
                    '69 Super Wagoneer
                    '75 J10
                    '79 Cherokee S WT
                    '75 Cherokee
                    '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

Working...
                    X