• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisnsarah
    360 AMC
    • Sep 24, 2000

testing a water pump off the vehicle

Is there an easy way to determine if a water pump is good before installing it? Mine finally gave out and I have 2 sitting in the shed. The bad one was leaking at the weephole, so I pulled it off and blew compressed air at the weephole and air was escaping in the impellar area. One of the spare pumps did the same, but the other had no leakage and the seal looked good from the inside.
    Is it a safe bet this pump is good before I slap it on? I'd rather use spare stuff before buying new.
    '64 J200 thriftside
    '67 J2000 townside custom cab
    '68 Jeepster Commando
    '69 Super Wagoneer
    '75 J10
    '79 Cherokee S WT
    '75 Cherokee
    '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by chrisnsarah
    Is there an easy way to determine if a water pump is good before installing it? Mine finally gave out and I have 2 sitting in the shed. The bad one was leaking at the weephole, so I pulled it off and blew compressed air at the weephole and air was escaping in the impellar area. One of the spare pumps did the same, but the other had no leakage and the seal looked good from the inside.
    Is it a safe bet this pump is good before I slap it on? I'd rather use spare stuff before buying new.
    If it's not new, the only way to know the condition is to install it and see how long it lasts.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rich88
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 20, 2008

There's one way to determine if a water pump is good: It comes new out of a box. Anything else is worn and you can expect a short life and more grief. Seems like a too-important item to replace with an unknown.
      Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
      "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• 1983 j10
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2008

For what they cost you are wasting your time putting a used one on
        1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• Wackyneer
          232 I6
          • Oct 08, 2011

Originally posted by 1983 j10
          For what they cost you are wasting your time putting a used one on
          BINGO!!! The labor involved overrides possibly saving $80-$100 by reusing an old pump. Remember that the labor doubles if the old pump leaks- and you still have to spend $80-100.
          '88 GW 360 V8, Almost stock (locking hubs and electric fuel pump)
          Was it an omen that my '88 GW broke down 2 miles after the purchase and the tow truck broke down bringing it to my house?

Comment

• chrisnsarah
            360 AMC
            • Sep 24, 2000

I do my own replacement and don't have AC, so its not an installation headache.
            Regardless, my plan is scratched because for some reason, the good pump has a raised mounting area at my alternator bracket and the old one did not. Why this is, I don't know, so I'm getting a new one.
            I bought a pump back in '94 with a lifetime warranty at Kragen and I just found the original warranty card and receipt. I hope oreilys honors this.
            '64 J200 thriftside
            '68 Jeepster Commando
            '69 Super Wagoneer
            '75 J10
            '79 Cherokee S WT
            '75 Cherokee

Comment

• 68glad
              350 Buick
              • Jun 01, 2006

[quote=chrisnsarah] I just found the original warranty card and receipt. quote]

Just for giggles what has the price gone to since 94'.
              68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
              78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                360 AMC
                • Sep 24, 2000

[QUOTE=68glad]
                I just found the original warranty card and receipt. quote]

Just for giggles what has the price gone to since 94'.
                Well, in '94, it was $49.99. Now its $42.99. I just went there and got a new one.
                '64 J200 thriftside
                '68 Jeepster Commando
                '69 Super Wagoneer
                '75 J10
                '79 Cherokee S WT
                '75 Cherokee

Comment

• Rich88
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 20, 2008

[QUOTE=chrisnsarah]
                  Originally posted by 68glad
                  Well, in '94, it was $49.99. Now its $42.99. I just went there and got a new one.
                  That's because in '94 they were made in the USA, but today they're made in Communist China by the enslaved starving orphans of executed political prisoners. Of the $43.99, $.99 goes for their rice and $43 goes to the regime.
                  88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...

Comment

• 68glad
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 01, 2006

[quote=Rich88]

That's because in '94 they were made in the USA, but today they're made in Communist China by the enslaved starving orphans of executed political prisoners. Of the $43.99, $.99 goes for their rice and $43 goes to the regime.

68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
                    78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• Yagan
                      258 I6
                      • Aug 06, 2005

having worked in NW China's manufacturing heartland for a couple of years last decade i can tell you that:
                      A. There is a snow balls chance in hell .99c gets to the worker...more like .02c and thats at the end of the year thankyou very much not monthly.
                      B. The enslaved starving orphans are actually mum's n dads like you and I
                      C. The regime doesn't need to 43 bucks, trust me on that one
                      D. The 43 bucks goes straight into the hipper of the (probably american) massive multinational corporation that has executed its evil plans and re-located its manufacturing ops from your fair and just country to the home of the modern day slave - china.
                      E. And its not just US companies, there's just about nothing made here in Aus anymore. Tragic friggin globalization. Shoot the lot of those those B@st*rds that thought it up.
                      Baby Blue - 81 Cherokee S 4 dr
                      Twin Trans Coolers no longer in radiator flow path
                      Baked Copper Coated B&M Deep Trans Pan
                      Custom Cooler ducting and braided lines
                      79 American Racing Cast Alloy rims
                      Monroe Air, Rear Reece Hitch, Front Hidden Reece Hitch,Dual Batts, re-con?d Alt, Front Bench Seat
                      My rig is ubber hot, my FSJ is a chick magnet

Comment

• Rich88
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Yagan
                        ...B. The enslaved starving orphans are actually mum's n dads like you and I...
                        Hey, except for the orphans, I was close. But there used to be until they were worked to death! And I believe they were all unwanted girls too.

Comment

Working...
                        X