X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Okay, been a while since I did anything with this.

Picked up a Chevy NP205 from behind a TH350 for $50 and used the speedo parts to fix my 205 today.

Ordered up a pair (nice to have parts) of NOS valve cover gaskets from Memphis Equipment Friday.

That's about it.

Trying to get a little bit done on it each weekend now that the Wagoneer doesn't need anything major.
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

Wrecker thread. Turns out the wrecker is dated to '73.

Just went and bought a 74 Dodge W200 today. 360/727/NP205 D44/D60 with a Burke slide in wrecker unit powered by a Ramsey DCY200 electric worm gear winch. Has a nice Meyers 7.5' plow on it as well. Wrecker unit bolts through the bed to brackets bolted to the frame. Won't take much to mount it to the 63. Since the winch is

This is from the day I had cut it off from the dodge and stuck it in the back. I had it strapped down all winter.

Got a bit more work done. Have a stock oil bath 2bbl air cleaner on the way for it. Intake is cleaned and machined flat and I've been driving around with the carb in the back of the Wagoneer with a manual and kit trying to find a chance to rebuild it.

Got the main mast for the wrecker all bolted down using some 3/8" brackets I had made. Just built a wiring harness for the wrecker today.

Scored a nice USA made work lamp for the wrecker.
      .25 cents at a swap meet. It even works! Can't beat that with a stick.

I already have the beacon and amber flashers (both work!) on the wrecker wired up to a 3 position toggle so the beacon can run independently or with the flashers. I dug up an NOS Deitz HD flasher for the amber flashers. You can hear this thing click from 20 feet away from the truck.

Got my new valve cover gasket on, and have the valve cover all polished up. Already starting to corrode

Mounted some new (to me) tires on my 71 so this will be getting my 5 year old bias 7.50-16's in the near future. I have 6 of them.

Not much else I guess.

Still need to put the cab corners I got from Gambler on it, replace the floor supports and get the brakes figured out. I'm now 75% certain my rear wheel cylinders are weeping. I need to buy a puller or borrow one again to get my drums off to be sure.
      Thomas Russell
      1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

Well I just can't believe it! I ran my power cable to my winch (Ramsey DCY-200 8000lb worm gear that my wrecker came with), and decided it was time to dig into it and find out if it worked. I pulled the solenoid cover and was greeted veryrusted terminals and lugs typical of a winch that has sat for years in the weather. I figured, what the heck I've got nothing to lose so lets test it.

Pulled the solenoids and tested them off my battery. Both of them click on and off like new ones. They are both dated from 72 on the casings.

So the solenoids look 10X better then the motor, which looks like a lump of surface rust. I got a spare battery out, grounded the case and hooked up some jumper cables. I have both power in and out. Works perfect. You just can't beat a vintage Ramsey winch!
        Thomas Russell
        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

So it's almost road ready. I twisted my hips ( really not sure how ) working on it the other weekend. Had to take some time off from work it got so bad. I could barely walk. So not much progress since then.

I did give up on the idea of fixing my cab. I'm patching it up enough to get a couple of years out of it then it will be getting replaced.

As you can see in the pics, it's pretty bad. I'm just riveting the corners on so I can take them off when I scrap the cab. The rest of the truck is very solid.

Quick prep beofore primer and paint. This spot would be easy to fix right.

Test fit. Nice big gap there against the rocker.

Quick patch welded in to close it up. May end up getting some bondo in the spring to clean it up.

Cheap paint makes every thing look better. I'm going to seal them up with some brush on body sealer and call it good.

Only bad spot on the passangers side. Okay, still pretty fixable, right?

Drivers side. This pic makes it look good. Eh, better than most New England truck of this vintage. This and the horrible floor made me decide it would be better to replace than repair (correctly).

Nothing some 11 gauge c-channel and some 1"x.125 angle can't fix.

And there you have it. A solid main floor brace. I still need to tie it into the inner rocker and weld the two pieces together.

I have the floor pans all cleaned up, painted and seam sealed. The pans and cab where sealed against the weather a bit and I re-installed the interior.
          Thomas Russell
          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
            I got the Willys....
            • Jun 21, 2005

Oh, see that rot spot neat the bolt? Where you can see metal above it. Yeah, that's a license plate. But hey! I used a commercial plate at least. I laughed my butt off while I formed it and riveted it into place.
            Thomas Russell
            1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Gambler68
              Rabble Rouser
              • Feb 29, 2004

Lol parts from that 82 J10 on jeeps all across this country. Glad you finally used those!

About all I have left are the rocker panels (going to use..maybe) and a door.
              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Lol, your cab corners and the NOS rockers are the best part of that cab.
                Thomas Russell
                1971 Gladiator

Comment

• iharding
                  230 Tornado
                  • Sep 18, 2020

Hello! Can I get a photo of what's left of your air cleaner decal? Mine is completely gone.

Thanks!

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                  Okay, brakes are sorted out. All exterior light now work and as you can see here http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=108946 it's almost ready to plow. Also got all my heater vac and defrost hoses run. Heats the cab up pretty well. I think the truck is now mechanically road legal.

I also got a beautiful 327 oil bath air cleaner from Elliott. Had to have this little adpater machined up to make it fit.

It also gives me a 3/4" rise. Cost me $40 to have it made (I supplied the aluminum stock) and have the little stud adapter fixed.

It's a bit bigger then the 230 oil bath air cleaner, but it's not as tight fitting as it looks in the pic.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 15, 2010

You do realize this post is 10+ years ago?

Comment

• KaiserMan
                      I got the Willys....
                      • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by iharding
                      Hello! Can I get a photo of what's left of your air cleaner decal? Mine is completely gone.

Thanks!

I'll snap a pic tomorrow. I still have a 327 air cleaner in the basement.
                      Thomas Russell
                      1971 Gladiator

Comment

Working...
                      X