• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich88
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 20, 2008

Power steering got stupid

These days my Waggy use is restricted to occasional Home depot runs, and sits for months at a time between use.

Yesterday I fired her up for such a run and behold, the steering was very stiff. I checked the PS pump fluid level - was OK. No belt squealing either.

The power steering is not totally gone, but gone enough so that the wheels do not return to center when driving, which made for a very interesting white knuckle trip to/from Home depot. I hoped something would "clear up" from driving it, but t'was not to be.

The last time I used it, there was no problem at all.

Any ideas what's gone/shot/broke?
    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

You running PS fluid or brake fluid? How long has it been since the fluid has been changed?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Rich88
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 20, 2008

Brake fluid?! I think you might have been meant tranny fluid. Anyway, its been tranny fluid forever on all my past & present waggys. Never a problem. And never changed.

However, upon thinking about it, I'm guessing the pump is shot. If there were binding in the power steering unit itself, the belts would squeal against the resistance.
      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I've seen bad ball joints do that, believe it's called memory steer.
        They freeze up/bind from extended periods of sitting/non-use.

Kind of like cruise control for steering.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

The pressure relief in the pump may be stuck open. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the wheels off the ground and running. First, it should be easy. If not, then balljoint bind is possible. Going to the lock may bump it up enough to knock the regulator loose.
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Rich88
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 20, 2008

Good ideas

Will do the jack-it-up & play-with-it thing this weekend.

Meanwhile, I ordered a new PS pump anyway. Just went over 160K, so can't hurt.

Tnx guys

Comment

Working...
            X