• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwinn
    360 AMC
    • Nov 05, 2001

Car Cover for FSJ

To get along with the neighbors/city I have to keep my non-running/non-licensed FSJ project in the driveway covered. I covered it with a $40 heavy duty silver tarp last May. That cover has been completely destroyed by the sun and wind. I am now looking at a heavy duty $90 canvas tarp. The question is will canvas hold up against the Arizona sun or will the fibers be destroyed like the poly tarp?
    1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

• jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

When I lived by the river, quite a few guys would snag the hay tarps and they lasted for quite a few years.
    Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
      350 Buick
      • Jul 04, 2006

Tom
      Isn't there enough snaggin going on in your neighborhood? I have bought the expensive ($250.) covers before. They last about 2 years before the sun turns them into large paper towels. IMO its better and cheaper to buy several "cheap" ones and replace them when they wear out.
      Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
      But it's free"
      Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• chrisnsarah
        360 AMC
        • Sep 24, 2000

I buy those 3-pack of reversible blue-silver tarps from Costco for $20 and I can get almost 2 years in the direct sun with the silver side out, and longer in the shade. I have more of a problem with the wind ripping them than rotting in the sun.
        These aren't good for painted surfaces. When I stored my Cherokee, I bought a cheap indoor car cover and put the silver tarp over that.
        '64 J200 thriftside
        '67 J2000 townside custom cab
        '68 Jeepster Commando
        '69 Super Wagoneer
        '75 J10
        '79 Cherokee S WT
        '75 Cherokee
        '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

• Brad W.
          360 AMC
          • Jan 09, 2003

if you get an oiled canvas tarp (like a military one) it should last you quite a few years. I have a tan oiled one that has covered my trucks and trailers outside for several years now, after it spent two summers as an awning. It is a oiled canvas top I bought at the tractor store.

It has been out in -40F with snow/ice and +106F with blazing sun. And it is still going strong. It finally has a small tear, but that has more to do with what is under it being a sharp corner.

This is what I would recommend. a cheap car cover under it would help protect the paint from scratches & chafing. Get some good UV resistant straps or ropes and tie it down TIGHT and you will be fine. Try to find a lighter color than the typical OD green and it will probably last longer, like my tan one.
          Brad W.
          1979 wag "Nightmare"
          **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
          **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
          24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
          4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
          Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
            350 Buick
            • Mar 25, 2008

this is why alabama is great you could almost have a junkyard in your front yard and still no one will give you any trouble haha
            '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

Working...
            X