• Show
Clear All
  • rws31
    258 I6
    • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by fsj454
    Come on . Cherokee 7.4 liter
    Exactly.

I used to have 2 Buick 455 engines. I was going to put one of them into my 69 X model

Back in 87-ish, can't remember exactly, when I started my 82 Wag tow vehicle project, I tried to stuff a 500 Caddy motor under the hood. Actually had it hanging in the engine bay. Decided it was to much work to remove heater box and get a smaller brake booster to make it fit. Decided to go with 454 cause it fit and I could have overdrive. If Dodge had an overdrive for a 440 back then, the 89 would have a 440 in it today.

The Hemi and the LS motors are awesome engines. Most people spending that kind of money on a Wagoneer with a hellcat in it would probably crap their pants if they actually did a burn out.
    89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
    1988 Ramcharger
    1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
    2003 Durango 4x4
    1982 CJ7 4 banger
    2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by rws31
      ...Most people spending that kind of money on a Wagoneer with a hellcat in it would probably crap their pants if they actually did a burn out.
      HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! SOOOOOoooooooooooo true!!! LOL!!!! They just want to say "Yeah, Bro, it's not a Wagoneer, its a Hellwagon! Dude, it's got 700HP!!"

There is so much more to Gen 3 Hemi's and LSs than just the power compared to our old AMC/Buick V8s. They are lighter, they are much more tune'able, the transmission choices are much better, they last a lot longer, and most of their parts are on the shelf at your local McParts (and the dealer if you are in a pinch). They run soooo smooth, too. Now they are so common, you can get them almost as cheap as an AMC 360 (I have seen complete 5.3's for $500 on my local Craigslist). The only down side to them anymore is the complexity. But with the aftermarket stepping up, that's not even really an issue anymore. I think you could swap in a decent running LS/Hemi for about the same cost as a good AMC V8 rebuild (and cheaper than what I did in my build).
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Rusty76
        258 I6
        • Jul 15, 2018

Being a total rookie at rebuilding old vehicles I just assumed the way to go was to rebuild my original 360. I'm for sure not a purest numbers matching guy. Glad some guys are into that. For me its your jeep do what you want with it. Cherokee Chief badge on a Wagoneer, sure. Long story short I kinda wish I would have looked for a ls to swap into my Wagoneer. On the plus side if I do another vehicle I will be that much more skilled.
        1976 Jeep Wagoneer
        Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
        Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Rusty76
          258 I6
          • Jul 15, 2018

Recently it took all my will power to not buy a Javelin that was missing the engine.
          In a matter of minutes I convinced myself that this would be the perfect opportunity
          to do a ls swap! It was a hard fought battle but I came to my senses. I'm really enjoying working on the Wagoneer and don't need the distractions of another
          project. Plus seems like my area is never short on projects vehicle to purchase.
          Still really like those Javelins seems like an affordable muscle car.
          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Crankyolman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            I think you could swap in a decent running LS/Hemi for about the same cost as a good AMC V8 rebuild (and cheaper than what I did in my build).
            Sometimes I regret not doing just that when I had my engine rebuilt. I could have bought a wrecked LS1 Corvette with 50,000 miles for less than I spent on rebuilding my original AMC engine.

Originally posted by Rusty76
            Recently it took all my will power to not buy a Javelin that was missing the engine.
            In a matter of minutes I convinced myself that this would be the perfect opportunity
            to do a ls swap! It was a hard fought battle but I came to my senses. I'm really enjoying working on the Wagoneer and don't need the distractions of another
            project. Plus seems like my area is never short on projects vehicle to purchase.
            Still really like those Javelins seems like an affordable muscle car.
            Several times I've had to stop myself from buying Javelins, I think an LS would be a good swap for one.
            '72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Crankyolman
              Sometimes I regret not doing just that when I had my engine rebuilt. I could have bought a wrecked LS1 Corvette with 50,000 miles for less than I spent on rebuilding my original AMC engine.
              I regret not going hemi almost every time I drive mine.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rws31
                258 I6
                • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                I regret not going hemi almost every time I drive mine.

Lol. My brother kept trying to get me to Hemi the 89. I probably will Hemi the 88 Ramcharger. Not sure yet.
                89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
                1988 Ramcharger
                1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
                2003 Durango 4x4
                1982 CJ7 4 banger
                2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• Rusty76
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 15, 2018

Oh man Crankyolman don't agree with with! Last thing I need is someone to validate my line of thinking. This just might push me over the edge and have me actively looking for Javelins without an engine...
                  1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                  Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                  Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Crankyolman
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 27, 2017

Oh man Crankyolman don't agree with with! Last thing I need is someone to validate my line of thinking. This just might push me over the edge and have me actively looking for Javelins without an engine...

The way I see it is it doesn't necessarily need to not have an engine, just an undesirable or incorrect engine. I've always liked Javelins and think a Javelin with a modern engine would be a great affordable classic and uncommon muscle car that would rock!
                    '72 J4500

Comment

• mwood65
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 17, 2017

I always wanted an early AMX and thought they were too cool!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by mwood65
                        I always wanted an early AMX and thought they were too cool!
                        Agreed. One of the few 2WD vehicles I would off my Cherokee for. Unfortunately if I sold my Cherokee, I would get enough money to buy an AMX fender and that's about it.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• MysticRob
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 26, 2019

OP, thanks for posting that. Always great seeing what people can do with these awesome vehicles. I'm not one to normally do an engine swap (patiently waiting for the new Edelbrock EFI kit to drop so I can get my newly-acquired 88 GW running properly again) but if a HellCrate just happened to show up I'd do it in a heartbeat.
                          --Rob--
                          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• ShagWagon
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                            The way I see it is it doesn't necessarily need to not have an engine, just an undesirable or incorrect engine. I've always liked Javelins and think a Javelin with a modern engine would be a great affordable classic and uncommon muscle car that would rock!
                            Theres a guy in Coos bay with a 401 javelin trying to get it running....
                            87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

I just saw a TV show where someone built a Javelin with a Hellcrate that they say they upped to 1200 HP
                              '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                              X