• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acct21
    327 Rambler
    • May 20, 2014

Holley Sniper install keeping the stock fuel system

...not completely stock, of course -- but I kept it stock from the gas tank to the hard line from the fuel pump that fed the original 2150.

I went in a different direction with the fuel system. I know a lot of folks have been really successful with fitting up in-tank fuel pumps, but frankly I'm done dropping that tank (have had to do it twice in 5 years), and the thought of working in the confines of the access panel gave me hives, too. If I had an in-tank pump go out I might leave the Jeep on the side of the road.

Pumps on the frame rails have their issues -- and don't solve the problem of the fuel sender pickup G-loading/uncovering under cornering/low fuel levels.
    I have seen problems with the FiTech Command Center can/pump, but a lot of it appeared to be the dead head (returnless) design -- which is apparently tough on pumps too.

I went with a return surge tank setup that takes low pressure feed from the stock mechanical fuel pump, and uses the stock return line to the tank. It has a high-pressure pump and a return circuit that feeds the Sniper and returns fuel from the Sniper's built-in regulator. There are lots of them out there -- but this is the one I used:

I put a small pre-filter between the low-pressure fuel feed and the surge tank, and a 10/20 micron filter before the fuel inlet on the Sniper. The pump hooks up with one wire from the Sniper ECU (it has a built-in fuel pump relay), and a ground to the battery. It was just about the exact same diameter as the charcoal canister, so I relocated the charcoal canister to the other fender, and installed the surge tank in place of it. I wrapped it with some foil insulation to protect it from engine heat.

I figured it kills three birds with one stone: I get the high-pressure pump in an accessible position for maintenance/replacement, I don't have to run lines to/from the gas tank, and I have some protection against G-loading/sloshing that could uncover the pickup in our (unbaffled) tanks. The last one is mainly in theory, but since the replacement/aftermarket sender pickups sit about 3 inches off the bottom of the tank, running under 1/4 full will eventually bite you in the butt.

One thing I will say: if you have ALL of the necessary parts/tools in front of you (lines, fittings, wire crimps, throttle/kick down linkages, etc), you can completely install a Sniper system in an SJ in an afternoon. Pretty slick.
    Last edited by acct21; 02-10-2020, 12:08 PM.
    1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)
  • Atlasts
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 10, 2014

Sounds like a good setup - Any photos to show install?

Comment

• acct21
      327 Rambler
      • May 20, 2014

Last edited by acct21; 05-23-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• BamaWagoneer
        230 Tornado
        • Oct 21, 2018

Which model of the PowerSurge did you go with? I see 3 on the page you linked to?

I'm looking to do something similar, what other parts did you need in addition to the PowerSurge? They mention needing a regulator but doesn't the Holley EFI have that built in?

Thanks

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

PS500 -- since my 360 is bone stock, and running the 2bbl 2300.

The Sniper has a regulator built in.

All I needed was a longer length of 5/16" soft line to feed the surge tank from the mechanical pump, a longer length of 1/4" for the return line, fittings for the PS500 (2 X 3/8"NPT X -6AN fittings, 1 x 1/4"NPT x 5/16" barbed, and 1 x 1/8"NPT x 1/4" barbed), and high pressure hoses to/from the Sniper with -6AN fittings.

That's it. PS500 grounds to the battery, and gets (+)12V from the Sniper fuel pump relay.

Comment

• ShagWagon
            350 Buick
            • Apr 10, 2016

I had fits with the FCC.

When you get it up and running test it at idle for about 15-20 minutes and see if the can heats up. If it stays cool it's golden. If it gets hot, then no bueno.
            87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• acct21
              327 Rambler
              • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by ShagWagon
              I had fits with the FCC.

When you get it up and running test it at idle for about 15-20 minutes and see if the can heats up. If it stays cool it's golden. If it gets hot, then no bueno.
              Works like a charm -- idling in traffic, full speed interstate driving. Top barely gets warm to the touch.

I think the fatal flaw with the FCC is the lack of ANY fuel return. The PowerSurge has both a low-pressure return and a high pressure return. Fuel -- including fresh fuel from the tank -- is constantly being recirculated. The FCC has the regulator built in, and deadheads the injectors/TBI. The PowerSurge depends on an external regulator (like the one built-in to the Sniper EFI) to set the pressure and return any unneeded fuel back to the can. In addition, the mechanical pump is constantly topping up and recirculating via the stock fuel/return lines.

I love it.

Comment

• ShagWagon
                350 Buick
                • Apr 10, 2016

Good concept. Glad someone got it right. I was guinea pig.
                87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• acct21
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 20, 2014

Couple months, in -- thought I'd report back.

Had some idling issues -- just mainly rough idle. Checked fuel pressure and it pegged the 100psi fuel pressure gauge. Called Holley and they suspected a stuck regulator. Sent a new one, which was a 5 minute install. Pressure spot on at 58-60 p.s.i.

System learns quickly, and runs like a champ. Smells a bit rich on the "sniff test," but system claims to meet the AF/R targets, according to the readout from the WBO2.

Fuel mileage on my first full tank suggests that a slight tune is necessary. Went from 11-12mpg with the carb to around 9mpg with the Sniper. Others have agreed that the system defaults to a slightly over-rich tune, and with some patience you can get some better mileage dialed in without sacrificing the idle or cruise quality.

But the sheer joy of driving the Jeep is back. Starts with a touch of the key, and you can immediately shift into gear and drive away. Purrs like a kitten at idle, and has better throttle response than I could have ever imagined.

Bottom line -- I'll never go back to a carb on any vehicle I ever own. This was the single greatest mod I've made to the Jeep in the 5 years I've been wrenching on it.

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by acct21
                    Couple months, in -- thought I'd report back.

Had some idling issues -- just mainly rough idle. Checked fuel pressure and it pegged the 100psi fuel pressure gauge. Called Holley and they suspected a stuck regulator. Sent a new one, which was a 5 minute install. Pressure spot on at 58-60 p.s.i.
                    Seems to be a known issue?
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• acct21
                      327 Rambler
                      • May 20, 2014

When I pulled the regulator, it was missing the o-ring seal on the neck. Suspect it was pushing out and blocking the return flow out of the return outlet.

Comment

• PBG928
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 29, 2016

Getting ready to install the Holley Sniper and the Robbmc mentioned above. with this set up do I really need the charcoal filter?
                        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(sold)
                        1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
                        1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
                        Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                          350 Buick
                          • Jul 09, 2009

I to would love to see your fuel pump/lines when ya get better weather.
                          (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• Mikel
                            • Aug 09, 2000

What about a buffer tank after the pump?

The tank would have a considerable internal volume and both the inlet and outlet would be at the bottom. When pressurized, the internal air would act as a spring, providing fuel pressure for short periods while the pump is sucking air.

The only problem I see is with longer fuel system priming times. But I bet a check valve would shorten that time...
                            1969 M715 6x6
                            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• PBG928
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 29, 2016

Finally got Robbmc and Holley Sniper installed. Engine actually started. Have to fix a few other things before I can let it warm up and start learning. LCD screen is way cooler than the 1950 style box that comes with the Howell EFI. I went with the stainless lines and they are tough to work with but look sharp. Keep you posted. Sorry for large images havent been able to resize yet.

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(sold)
                              1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
                              1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
                              Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X