• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Will Morris
    350 Buick
    • Nov 24, 2002

Which welder welding experts?

I really need to get a MIG welder for my shop so that I can build bumpers, rock sliders, do some floor sheet metal patching, spring hangers, and a ways down the road possibly some roll cage work. I'm looking at a Miller 175 and 210, but the 175 is about half the price on cyberweld.com so I'm really wondering if I need the extra amperage of the 210 for what I intend to do. The 210 will weld 3/8 plate, but I don't think I'll need that. What thickness would the 175 weld easily? I can get a 175 and a tube bender for roughly the same price as a 210, but don't want to find out later on down the road I need a 210.

Thanks,
    Will
    '78 Cherokee NT in GA
    '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT
  • Robber80
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2002

you can weld more than 3/8s with the 210, i know its says only 3/8s but it can do better. i love my 210. i also know andrew loves his 210. but i know a kid in montana who has a 175 and loves that too. so i think either way you do it, you'll be happy. the problem with buying the 175 is just like you said, if you need the 210 then you lost a lot of money buying the 175. because you can never sell the 175 for whta you payed. i'd probably just hold out for the 210.

also will let me know, if you really plan to drive up here in august. i've been talking to andrew about getting a better price on the cage he sold joe. so let me know. you bringing it here would be the only way i oculd afford it.
    *Sold to move* off the frame tube buggy, front 35spline HPd60, rear 35 spline D60. Np203/205 doubled with 3.2 to 1 gear in the 203. TBI 350/th400. Full hydro. and 44s. come get some.

Comment

• Will Morris
      350 Buick
      • Nov 24, 2002

Rob, I'm definitely driving the truck up in August. I have to go back to school for at least one more year. You may have to meet me in Brunswick, Maine to pick it up, but that's not a bad drive from where you are. Maybe 4 hours or so, but nothing too bad. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the full rundown on my plans and we'll see if we can make something work. Thanks for the input on the welders.

Will
      '78 Cherokee NT in GA

Comment

• SeaBass44
        230 Tornado
        • Jun 23, 2004

I could buy ant mig I wanted, I bought a Hobart 135 110volt... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Tad
          • Nov 30, 2001

Will,
          You will be fine with the 175 amp unit.
          I would look real closely at shipping charges, tank purchase, local gas supply and warranty service. I run a very old MillerMatic 300 and it rarely needs 50% capicity.

Originally posted by SeaBass44:
          I could buy ant mig I wanted, I bought a Hobart 135 110volt... [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Ya, ok, and then....?
          Not a bad unit but I wouldn't build a structural part with one :/
          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• robselina
            304 AMC
            • Feb 26, 2003

175 will serve you well. I've got one and love it. I was welding 1/4" today with it, welded 3/8" before in a SINGLE PASS. just takes a little more preparation with thick stuff like that. Get the 175 and the bender, you'll never find anything you can't do with it, I certainly haven't yet....
            Rob

Comment

• robselina
              304 AMC
              • Feb 26, 2003

oh yea, shop around on prices locally. Mathison Trigas (it's a chain) has a store locally that sells them for $625, and they gave me a free fillup on the tank I got too. I haven't even seen them online for that cheap, nevermind including shipping....
              Rob

Comment

• Robber80
                350 Buick
                • Sep 14, 2002

yeah i got my 210 for like 1100 or so which isn't to bad. i did buy it local too. they delievered it to my house for free witht eh bottle and a free welding helmet. nice helmet too.
                *Sold to move* off the frame tube buggy, front 35spline HPd60, rear 35 spline D60. Np203/205 doubled with 3.2 to 1 gear in the 203. TBI 350/th400. Full hydro. and 44s. come get some.

Comment

• millertime
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 19, 2001

If you dont have a powerful enough welder couldnt you preheat the area with a torch to get better penetration with the welder?
                  Edelbrock Torker Intake <br />Edelbrock 650cfm Carb<br />4in BJ\'S lift<br />76 J-20,360,T-18/D20, d44 frnt, D60 rear.<br />TFI<br />cs-144 alt <br />Alum rad w/electric fan

Comment

• Will Morris
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 24, 2002

Guys, thanks for the input. Tad, I was looking on Cyberweld because I'm pretty sure they offer free shipping. I'm planning on looking locally, but that was the easiest place to start. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for your input too. I'm glad we have a resident welding expert on the board. Hopefully I'll be mating metal soon.

Will
                    '78 Cherokee NT in GA

Comment

• Glenn_tx
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jun 08, 2002

I'm no professional welder, but I have a Hobart 175 that works well. Haven't found anything on a jeep too thick to use it on. Got it new off Ebay w/ free shipping and a cart for around $550 from a welding supply house. Course it only has 4 heat settings, I think the other name brands may have more, or infinite heat settings, seems to work just fine though.
                      Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

• jlchilcot
                        258 I6
                        • May 14, 2003

I just bought the millermatic 175 from a dealer on ebay for $647 and free shipping. I couldn't find it for less than $730 locally. Not to mention the sales tax I would have payed locally.

75 J-20 360 T-18
                        77 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
                        80 CJ-7
                        2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0
                        2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

See my Jeeps here
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/jchilcot

Comment

• Desert Beast
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 05, 2002

Originally posted by jlchilcot:
                          I just bought the millermatic 175 from a dealer on ebay for $647 and free shipping. I couldn't find it for less than $730 locally. Not to mention the sales tax I would have payed locally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3824808121
                          i got mine from the same guy. he has them for that price w/ a free cart also. the 175 is a *****en welder and can do almost anything.
                          If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

• Jay Janness
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 21, 2004

I would stay with a Miller or a Lincoln because parts and service are never a problem. My next welder is going to be a Lincoln. talking to people in the business say they are the best you can buy.
                            Jeepinjay<br />90 Grand Wagoneer/daily driver<br />89 Cherokee

Comment

• Driver
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 15, 2003

I have a Lincoln 175 plus and I love it.

Ray
                              1977 Cherokee S WT<br />360, TFI, MSD-6A<br />TH 400, part-time Q/T<br />Lift 4\" Leaf 3\" Body<br />35\" Procomp Xterrains

Comment

Working...
                              X