• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAMBLINFSJ
    350 Buick
    • Oct 31, 2006

What's this Wagon Packin'?

A guy called me yesterday saying he had an old Wagoneer that he needs to get rid of. I asked him what he wanted for it? He said, if you come and get it today, I'll take $150. DONE!!! We hooked up the trailer to go get it. When we got there, we could see the Wagon was pretty beat up (from a bad hail storm mainly). Anyway, it's still worth more than $150 in parts. As we were pulling up to the guys shop, he was pulling the Wagon out of the weeds and I could see inside the truck and I saw two sticks poking out of the floor. It has a manual transmission. I popped the hood and, to my surprise, it has a straight six. I've had about a dozen FSJ's over the years but this is the first one I've seen with a straight six and manual trans. I know the engine is a 258 but what kind of transmission and t-case is this Wagon packin'? The Jeep is an '82 model.

Also, will a N/T Wagoneer bumper fit on a W/T J20? My '82 J20 needs a bumper badly and this Wagon has a fairly nice one on it.
    1984 Wagoneer
    1977 Cherokee Chief (401)
    1982 J-20
    1965 AMC Rambler American 220
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

'82 258 with a T-176 4-speed and NP208 transfer case. Pretty nice combination - the T-176 is a rework of the Ford Top Loader 4-speed used in Ford muscle cars. It's an easy shifter, though not as strong as the original Top Loader.

We have a drive train database that will give you this info.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
      350 Buick
      • Oct 31, 2006

Hey, I found the drivetrain database. I just glanced at the shift knob last night and I'm thinking I saw that it was a 5 speed. If so and according to the database, it could have a T-5 trans.
      1984 Wagoneer
      1982 J-20

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

In 82 could very likely be a T5. Adequate light duty trans behind a 258 but with an 82's stock 2.73 axle gearing 5th gear will be totally useless.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• crazydog
          350 Buick
          • Nov 19, 2005

Several years ago there was a '82 Cherokee in the wrecking yard out on North Quaker. I wished I would have pulled the 258/T5/208 that was in it, plus a bunch of other parts. But, by the time I got back out there it had been crushed.
          1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

No that bumper will not work. The waggy is a narrow track and the J truck is a wide track. Those one piece bumpers will not go around the lower part of the wide track flare.
            You could cut the ends off it where it interferes with the fender. The mounts are the same, the bumper length changes.

The 3 piece bumper 1978 on back will work because they are factory made with an extra set of holes. Just bolt it together with the correct set of holes for your application, wide track or narrow track , J truck, Waggy or Chero (narrow track or wide track) they all interchange.

Is the waggy a total base model? Vinyl floors and no power windows or locks, no woodgrain at all. I like those and passed on one years back that I still regret.
            Tom Gibson
            1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
            1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
            1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
            2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
              350 Buick
              • Oct 31, 2006

Originally posted by HOOT
              No that bumper will not work. The waggy is a narrow track and the J truck is a wide track. Those one piece bumpers will not go around the lower part of the wide track flare.
              You could cut the ends off it where it interferes with the fender. The mounts are the same, the bumper length changes.

The 3 piece bumper 1978 on back will work because they are factory made with an extra set of holes. Just bolt it together with the correct set of holes for your application, wide track or narrow track , J truck, Waggy or Chero (narrow track or wide track) they all interchange.

Is the waggy a total base model? Vinyl floors and no power windows or locks, no woodgrain at all. I like those and passed on one years back that I still regret.
              I figured the bumper wouldn't work from a N/T to a W/T.
              Yeah, this Wagon is as base model as base model can get. I did check the transmission last night and it does have the 5 speed (T-5). I also put a battery on it and sprayed some carb cleaner down the carb. It fired right up. The previous owner said it ran great, it was just having fuel tank problems. I had a proud AMC moment too. The odometer read 295,115 (WOW).
              1984 Wagoneer
              1982 J-20

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by RAMBLINFSJ
                I had a proud AMC moment too. The odometer read 295,115 (WOW).
                Cool, unless you try to race or over rev'em those 258 tractor motors they're hard to kill. IMHO best reliable motor AMC ever built. At 295,000 expect to rebuild the T5 (expensive).
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jdaniel83
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 26, 2008

Just out of curiousity is the '82 a faded red color? I ask because I saw one about a month ago sitting amongst some weeds off of Hwy 114 outside of Crosbyton I believe. I would have stopped but I had places to be and another 4.5 hrs of driving ahead of me.
                  '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

standard ratio for 5 speed 6 cyl was 3.31
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 31, 2006

Originally posted by jdaniel83
                      Just out of curiousity is the '82 a faded red color? I ask because I saw one about a month ago sitting amongst some weeds off of Hwy 114 outside of Crosbyton I believe. I would have stopped but I had places to be and another 4.5 hrs of driving ahead of me.
                      It is a faded maroon but it was located south of Lubbock on FM 41. It had the snot beat out of it from a hail storm we had last year. The hail was some big it knocked the windsheild out of it and one side window. The body looks like a golf ball.
                      1984 Wagoneer
                      1982 J-20

Comment

Working...
                      X