• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael
    AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

Where is you CB Antenna Mounted

Hey All-

Just curious where you have your CB Antenna Mounted on you wags. I am going to make mine permanent and would like to know where you have placed yours. I am tired of knocking mine over on the trails....and in my garage.....
    1994 YJ
    Amc 360
    TF727
    Stak 3 speed
    44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
    Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
    401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually
  • Bandit
    258 I6
    • Jan 17, 2001

I've got a window mounted antenna and put the mount low enough that the tip just sticks up above the roofline. Probably not optimal for reception but better for not getting knocked off.
    1983 J-10 Sportside,360 w/Eldelbrock intake and carb. Flowmaster custom duals, 1" lift w/Trailmaster shocks, 33x1250R15 Buckshots & Pacer Alloys....."JEEP" enough said!!!

Comment

• Michael
      AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

Well I bought a big Firstick..... I was thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper or tailgate but I am not sure. I will just take it off and on when I need to get into the tailgate, but the magnetic one I have now is a pia. Also I would like to make my cb portable and use the magnetic one for my wifes truck. Thanks for the info...
      1994 YJ
      Amc 360
      TF727
      Stak 3 speed
      Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
      401....new project

Comment

• Kimbrough
        304 AMC
        • May 14, 2000

I had a Firestik II mounted on the roof. It had a foldable mount so I can put it outta the way. Only prob is I can't get it tuned right. Grrrrr....
        1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer. Chevy 350 TBI. 4-inch lift. 31-inch BFG AT's.

Comment

• Michael
          AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

Hmmmm. Did you tune it with the Swr meter. I got on of the Firstik original ones. The Big sucker. Still not sure where to mount it. I guess I will just have to get a swr meter and see where I get the best reading.
          1994 YJ
          Amc 360
          TF727
          Stak 3 speed
          Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
          401....new project

Comment

• 91GWag
            258 I6
            • Apr 16, 2001

I am currently using the cell phone style that attaches betwwen the glass. Looks cool makes for a neat installation, but i still have to test it aganst other units. I have a unit that lets you share your stock antenna with a 40 channel CB sort of a tuneable splitter. Once you get it dialed in it is pretty good.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Kevin

Comment

• jeepbob
              Jeep Idiot
              • Jan 16, 2001

I have a mag mount in the center of the roof. On my CJ the ant is mounted on the radio (hand held).
              65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• Johnboy
                232 I6
                • Mar 08, 2002

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael:
                Hmmmm. Did you tune it with the Swr meter. I got on of the Firstik original ones. The Big sucker. Still not sure where to mount it. I guess I will just have to get a swr meter and see where I get the best reading.<hr></blockquote>

Micheal don't buy an swr meter, I have a couple of them....lost one bought another...found the first one. If you can wait a few weeks, till I havea day off bring buy the house and we can dial it in. I think I am gonna mount mine on the Passenger side of the rear bumper. They reall need to be higher than the vehicle roof to get all around good reception.
                John

Comment

• SpruceMoose
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 01, 2000

check out my web site. there is a closeup pic of the ham radio antenna mount. no interference with the tailgate.

basically its an L-shaped plate with a hole cut in it. a piece of phenolic (bakelite will do also)is bolted under the hole. i made the mast from an aluminum rod, drilled and tapped for a very long setscrew. the phenolic piece is also drilled and tapped. the setscrew is screwed into the mast with a drop of loctite, and the whole assembly is then screwed into the phenolic. the antenna lead, with a large ring terminal, is slipped over the end of the setscrew, and then a nut holds it in place. on top a tuned resonator is screwed onto the mast, one for each band that i use. that doesnt apply to cb, since its all on one band, but if i got a resonator for 11 meters i could hook up a cb. 'course, i really dont need one with all the ham gear in the car! (80M, 40M, 20M, 15M, 10M, 2M, 70CM.)

sm.
                  88 Grand Wagoneer<br />\"Spruce Moose\"<br /><br />See the Moose at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294</a> <br /><br />AMC 360, DANA 44 F/R 2.72, TF 727, NP 229<br />Jacobs Pro-Street Ignition, Edelbrock 4bbl Intake with Holley 2bbl Analog Pro-Jection<br />Flowmaster 2.5\" 50 Series Delta muffler and tubing<br />K&N cone air filter, Amzoil fluids all around<br />31x10.5 BFG A/T KO<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift<br />Home-made tube nerfs and bumpers<br />BJs Muscle grill<br />HF,VHF,UHF ham rigs and too many antennas (not)<br />8-Ball shift knob from college (1975)<br />Hella fog and driving lights<br />Kenwood MP3 HU, Orion sub amp, Jensens all around<br /><br />Mileage? We don\'t need no stinkin\' mileage!

Comment

• Don S
                    • Feb 06, 2002

Michael...CB Radios don't do well in the San Jaun Mountains. So the the best antenna set up is Duel Co-Faised 1/4 wave roof mounted whips. ....Really.....Again...Jeep Bob knows what he's talking about...I like the tallest BASE load mag-mount...On the other hand (if it works) click this link..(me in '76) duel multi-band rig..

.....check your PMs....... ...ds..
                    Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                    It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                    ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Michael
                      AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I have a mag mount now....but want one that stays put when wheelin..... I tend to knock it off all the time. Also, I will be using that on my wife truck and making my cb portable.....

John- You got a deal... Let me know when you have a Saturday off and we will do it. I was thinking of putting mine in the same place.
                      1994 YJ
                      Amc 360
                      TF727
                      Stak 3 speed
                      Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
                      401....new project

Comment

• Don S
                        • Feb 06, 2002

SpruceMoose......The screw-on load on your long "Foldover" mast looks alittle bigger than 11 meters I have a long and short foldover and loads for 80, 40, 20, 15, 11, and 10 meters. Haven't loaded my Kenwood TS-520 into the Jeep yet....The link shows C.W.Ragchewers awarded, AMC radio Rambler, WB5ZCR/M........DS..

Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                        It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010

Comment

• Dive 30
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 31, 2001

I mounted my VHF rig opposite the radio antennae on the front of Gwen. Used the L-bracket mount rather than drilling a huge hole, but I have enough gap in between the hood and body that the cable doesn't get pinched or rubbed.

Phil
                          "Hooper Drives the Boat, Chief!" from 'Jaws'
                          '85 G-Wag, AMC 360 - Edelbrock Performer Cam and Intake, Megasquirt TBI, TF 727 with TCI Kit, NP-208, 4" Skyjacker Softride, Detroit EZ Locker front and rear.

Comment

• SpruceMoose
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 01, 2000

hey don: yeah, i think that pic was with the 80M resonator installed. and i think you had better watch the overhead clearance signs with that antenna on the car!

dive: what kind of vhf are you using?

73 de W4MBG
                            88 Grand Wagoneer<br />\"Spruce Moose\"<br /><br />See the Moose at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294</a> <br /><br />AMC 360, DANA 44 F/R 2.72, TF 727, NP 229<br />Jacobs Pro-Street Ignition, Edelbrock 4bbl Intake with Holley 2bbl Analog Pro-Jection<br />Flowmaster 2.5\" 50 Series Delta muffler and tubing<br />K&N cone air filter, Amzoil fluids all around<br />31x10.5 BFG A/T KO<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift<br />Home-made tube nerfs and bumpers<br />BJs Muscle grill<br />HF,VHF,UHF ham rigs and too many antennas (not)<br />8-Ball shift knob from college (1975)<br />Hella fog and driving lights<br />Kenwood MP3 HU, Orion sub amp, Jensens all around<br /><br />Mileage? We don\'t need no stinkin\' mileage!

Comment

• Don S
                              • Feb 06, 2002

SpruceMoose...Right....the local enforcement folks informed me they would hunt me down if they noticed any broken traffic lights ..You can't see that big ball on top of the 80m load in in the photo...it was 'bout 14.5 feet up..I could copy CW in the seat at 18 wpm while driving down the road....and was a better driver than most cell-phone nuts. Got a double CW worked all states and 1456 QSL ...The TS-520 put out 85watts in the car. Still need Africa for a CW WAC..Sold my 2m 5 ch Heath kit.. Still have a Heath kit 2kw 5 band "Voice" but my 5 ele Yagi is not up....I need to see .. --.- my lic .. ... still good now ..--.. .-. ...ds..

Comment

Working...
                              X