• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backroadin'
    350 Buick
    • Aug 11, 2004

XJ spring shackle dimensions?

Can anyone tell me what the width's are on a stock xj/mj shackle? Width at mounting end and width at spring end. Also, are they 9/16" bushings?

My '73 has an inside width of 2.5"+ at the shackle hanger and 2 1/2" springs. Need some new shackles and don't want the longer chevy ones. I've found plenty of choices that are the right specs except for being too wide at the shackle hanger, and I can't seem to find that info on the xj ones.

Thank you!
    1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"
  • FleetFox
    258 I6
    • Apr 04, 2018

from a stock j10 shackle. I bot new XJ shackles to replaces these

spring end, inside diameter: 2.625 " +/-

bushing end: w/ bushing in outside diam: 2.875"
    steel only outside diam 2.375"

the XJ shackles were like $16 new, each.

Hope it helps.

FleetFox

Comment

• FleetFox
      258 I6
      • Apr 04, 2018

Bushing ID was .5 on both ends btw

Comment

• backroadin'
        350 Buick
        • Aug 11, 2004

Awesome - thank you!
        1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• skeletor
          350 Buick
          • Jan 31, 2006

I had xj shackles on for a little while and they work, but I didn't like how much more I had to torque down the frame mount to to get the bushing snug, it looked pinched. maybe I had some weird xj shackles, but the bushing was way more narrow and the upper part of the shackle barely cleared the bottom of the frame mount. i ended up getting actual replacement fsj shackles, which are definitely better. my 84 is probably a little different from a 73 though.
          1984 j10 LWB - for sale
          1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
          2004 LJ - sold
          2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

• backroadin'
            350 Buick
            • Aug 11, 2004

Yeah, I ended up getting some ford shackles (E740-43). Still not ideal but they work. They're a little narrower at the bushing end than the XJ's, which I need and they're 9/16 I.D. too. Still needed to spread the frame mounts a bit.
            Last edited by backroadin'; 04-06-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X