• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ridgbak
    350 Buick
    • Feb 28, 2002

A/C glitches

--My 'mechanic' just called. He's workin on the a/c. I brought it in because it wasn't working, at all. At the end of last a/c season here, (sometime around late Nov.),I was pulling into the driveway, when it just quit. By then daily temps were just below 90 degrees, so I left it un-repaired.
    --He reports that once he brought the 'old York up to pressure, the clutch kicked in, and in theory, the a/c is workin'.
    --BUT...He also reports that when he turns it on from the inside, he gets no blower fan. The fan works great, when I have it switched to 'heat'OR any other function (EXCEPT A/C), but when I switch over to A/C, the blower fan stops..
    --I've checked the archives, but do not find a like senario. Any suggestions would be welcome. Though it's now over 100, daily, this won't keep me from Ouray: but it sure would be nice to be able to cross great expanses of desert and Reservations on the way up with a little a/c.
    --\'86 GW, \'Rosco\', mostly stock, daily workhorse.<br />--\'85 GW,(dwindling) parts supply.<br />--\'76 GW, love the 401, future project vehicle.
  • The Anti-Chrysler
    Disciple of A.M.C.
    • Aug 19, 2002

The '86 would share the same blower as the heat. In that case, it's likely your switch panel - the fan should work whether or not the a/c is charged or not - only the a/c compressor will not cycle without freon. My bet is there's a bad contact in the dash switch panel, since you know the blower motor works.
    Jason Davis
    '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
    '85 J-10 (parts)
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

Nope, on the '86-'91 GW's and trucks, there was now one fan switch knob, but still two separate blowers, one for the A/C and one for the heater. The one for the A/C is on top of the duct, inside the right dashboard. It could be the thermistor or the switch itself (on the '86-'88 heat/ac controls, the same knob actuated two physically-separate switches with separate wiring etc. I think they used one physical switch on the '89-'91 GW's).
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• okidoc
        258 I6
        • Aug 26, 2000

There is a relay under the dash for the a/c fan unit. If you pull this the a/c fan will not work but the heater fan will. Also check the fan, the motor could be broken, stuck or have a cat in a little blue trailer in it.
        1987 GW 360,727,229.<br />Electric fans, custom console w/two cupholders, custom 6x9 roof mounted speaker boxes. <br />Intimate knowledge of every single nut and bolt on the rig due to mutliple repairs.<br />Why do my cars break down when my wife drives them?

Comment

• Ridgbak
          350 Buick
          • Feb 28, 2002

--Thanks guys. I'll look at all of it this weekend. I just got it back an hour ago.
          --It's good to know that the switch, between heat and a/c are autonomous to one another.
          --The only other clue I might offer is when it first died, last Nov.
          --I know I had a leak, so I was just keeping up pressure with a few pound-cans of 135, (or whatever # the conversion uses). It took about one a week, with the correct amount of oil, to keep it nicely cool.
          --As I was drivin' down the driveway @ about 15 mph, I hit a little jolt of a rock, and poof, the a/c just stopped. The fan cut out. Even with the leak, it had never pressured down so much as to turn off. Always, the temps would come up to tepid as an indicator for adding the gas, and just before it died, it had been pretty cool.
          --Thanks again. I love the mysteries these things provide.
          --\'86 GW, \'Rosco\', mostly stock, daily workhorse.<br />--\'85 GW,(dwindling) parts supply.<br />--\'76 GW, love the 401, future project vehicle.

Comment

• Ridgbak
            350 Buick
            • Feb 28, 2002

btt

Comment

Working...
            X