• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jjkage84
    327 Rambler
    • May 18, 2011

Axle Question

Hey folks,
    Have a quick question about axles. I have an 84 Grand Wagoneer with vacuum actuated four wheel drive.

The question is, what year model axles/transfer cases can I use thats basically bolt in swap to remove the necessity for the vacuum lines running it all?

I'm sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, I just don't like the idea of my four wheel drive being dependant on the vacuum system.

Thanks!
    1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

The tcase will still depend on it. You have a couple options. Any 4 dr FSJ from '80 up to '85 without the vacuum (ones with NP208 mostly) and '86 up are usually non-vac. Find out if you have 3.31 or 2.73 ratio to get your match.
    The other option is permanently engage the axle with redi-rod (lots of threads on that here, pun intended) or order a Posi-Lok cable setup for a Dodge/Chev. I don't think Ford played that game?

Then you can parse the vacuum stuff down to:
    A: hose from intake to vacuum ball
    B: vacuum ball
    C: hose through firewall to middle port on dash switch
    D: 2 hoses from the other 2 ports to vacuum "motor" on tcase.

There are 3 ports on the tcase motor. You need to permanently plug the one closest to the linkage when you do this.

Once this is done you can remove the pin and spring on the dash switch. When the front axle is engaged you can flip the switch at just about any speed to go 2wd to 4wd or vice versa by backing off the gas at the same time unless the tcase vacuum motor is all rusted up inside or the tcase linkage is seized from non-use.
    Since it's only a couple quarts to fill, I run synthetic ATF in the NP and NVG tcases.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Jjkage84
      327 Rambler
      • May 18, 2011

Awesome!

A PO put a 129 out of an Eagle in my GW, so I wouldn't mind going back to the 229.

I guess I could just find some axles out of a GW that is not actuated by vacuums to replace mine?

Thanks!
      1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• mdill
        Gone. Not Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2000

The 83-84 front end was used with the 229 T-case, I don't know what your goal is exactly, but the 85->91 Wagoneer's also used the 229 without the disconnect axle. (T-case has a vacuum motor)
        You could hack the front disconnect to stay locked in and delete the vacuum lines to the front axle, so you just have the T-case lines.

If you want rid of all the vacuum lines, find a complete NT rig with a NP208, they were offered from 1980-> 1988 in FSJ Cherokee's , Wagoneer's and Grand Wagoneers.
        Get the front axle, T-case, rear drive line, T-case shift linkage (and most likely some other small part(s) I can't think of and bolt it all in.
        -----------------------------------------
        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
        And the other stuff that gets driven
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

Yes, or 80-83 Cherokee 4 dr or 80-83 Wagoneer. Some 2 dr Cherokees 80-83s are narrow track as well.

You can run a NP129, 128, 119, 229, 228 or 219 as a bolt in swap (minor external parts swap). 219 has no 2wd position. 119 is only in 4 high.
          Last edited by Carnuck; 05-13-2014, 12:58 AM.
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
          X