• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clever username
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 16, 2019

NP 229 stuck in neutral, no forward movement

Updated: I was able to determine the vacuum shift motor will engage 2wd and 4wd with vacuum, the issue seems to be the shift rod doesn't move. Currently it is inline with the mode lever. I'll work on loaded pictures, does anyone know the correct orientation of the two plates to be in 2HI?

I have an 89 GW with 727 and NP 229. Engine, Trans and TC were removed and cleaned, found crack in top of TC shell and replaced with another shell. This required a disassembly of gear guts and reassembly, took awhile but was able to put back together. I used the factory manuals for reference, everything functioned smoothly before install. Finally ready for test drive yesterday and truck would accelerate to 30MPH but no up/down shifting was noticeable, SJ felt to be stuck in 4Hi, maybe even 4Lo, I have no frame of reference since the truck was a non-runner when I started the project several months ago.

Returned and parked in driveway, and after lunch I went to start the Jeep and return it to garage, however when shifting into D, there was no forward movement, as if the TC was stuck in neutral.
    1. jacked truck up and when I spin tire by hand it moves the drive shaft, front tire moved front driveshaft, and rear moved rear shaft. Shafts did not move together, not sure if that matters.
    2. I uncoupled the TC vacuum motor and shift rod to attempt to manually engage 2HI to no avail. at that time determined the vacuum switch motor doesn't hold vacuum. Vacuum tester tool will move shifter forward and back but bleeds down to 0 after 8-10 sec.
    3. the 4wd light is illuminated on left side of dash.
    4. the front drive shaft spins easily by hand, the rear is a lot "stiffer".
    5. The truck would move in reverse but not drive forward

Before I pull out the TC again to investigate, is there a test/procedure to figure out what range I'm in and how to engage into 2 HI manually from under the truck?

Thanks for any help, this site has been a real blessing for this DIY'r.
    Last edited by Clever username; 09-17-2019, 04:44 PM.
    1989 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/NP229
    Charlotte, NC
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Sounds like a weak/faulty shift motor...they should hold vacuum longer than 8-10 seconds.

The NP229 MUST be in 4hi or the rod will not move/shift into 4lo.
    They are kind of finicky all the ones I've owned have a different shift personality.

Sometimes if in 4hi and you let them just barely roll they slide into 4lo with a little chunky grinding.
    Sometimes they shift better if into 4hi, shut the engine off then try 4lo.

The TSM has the procedure for adjustment of the shift rod.
    If you don't have the manual you can download one from oljeep.com.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Clever username
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 16, 2019

Thanks Tony. Turns out the vacuum motor works after i detached it from the shift rod, which won't budge when i tried a manual shift into 2HI. Gears must be bound up inside, so i'll pull the TC and see what's what.
      Charlotte, NC

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

I am not super familiar with that particular transfer case, but What I am about to suggest could apply to all transfer cases. Could you have a load on the gears preventing shifting? Like turning a corner on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. It makes gear bind or what I have heard it called "transfer case wind up".
        Try jacking up the axles to take any bind away. Then try to shift it. I know you said it was in neutral, but see if you can remove any influence from either driveline and then get it to change gears.
        Just a random thought...
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Clever username
          230 Tornado
          • Feb 16, 2019

Thanks Kaiserjeeps. will take a look Saturday.
          Charlotte, NC

Comment

• Clever username
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 16, 2019

Well found the reason my Transfer case wasn't shifting in to 2Hi...it was a needle bearing massacre.
            Charlotte, NC

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Well shoot... At least you know now. Probably a good idea to take it apart and make sure no needle bearing chunks are hiding somewhere. I hope the repair goes quickly and well at that. Thanks for the update.
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra
              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• RED88
                232 I6
                • Jan 26, 2014

My 229 grandad the rear output shafts bearing and scattered them throughout the case. A RockLawerance twin stick and a rebuild and viola it works again.

Comment

Working...
                X