International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General FSJ Discussion (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Smittles' 1964 panel Wagoneer (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=163732)

smittles 02-12-2013 12:47 PM

Smittles' 1964 panel Wagoneer

I figure its about time to do my reader's rig/build thread. I tried checking the rigs section'noticed they are closed.

I realized yesterday that I will have to remove the tranny and tcase to get my flywheel. I'm not thrilled, but I figure I will get new u-joints for the shafts when I put them back in too. I will update over the next few days as I get through the processes involved in starting the old Wag.

We are not in Kansas anymore and no, there are no ruby slippers here.

I got a few pictures yesterday from underneath.

Driver side view of the starter ring gear

Passenger side view of starter ring gear

Passenger front springs

Driver front Springs

Clutch slave cylinder rebuild/replace? or wait and see?

joe 02-12-2013 02:12 PM

If the slave is ok and clutch works fine I'd leave it alone till needed. Hyd clutch parts are pretty much ignored for maint. If that's the case with yours(likely) I'd buy a spare before you need it so you're not down waiting for parts. Napa sells them made by United Brake Parts sold under the Napa label p/n 33721. They also sell a rebuild kit for the clutch MC p/n 434. They also sell the clutch MC but don't have the p/n for that.

serehill 02-12-2013 03:08 PM

agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe
If the slave is ok and clutch works fine I'd leave it alone till needed. Hyd clutch parts are pretty much ignored for maint. If that's the case with yours(likely) I'd buy a spare before you need it so you're not down waiting for parts. Napa sells them made by United Brake Parts sold under the Napa label p/n 33721. They also sell a rebuild kit for the clutch MC p/n 434. They also sell the clutch MC but don't have the p/n for that.

They are usually maintained when the clutch dies. There's not a lot you can do without disassembly.

joe 02-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serehill
They are usually maintained when the clutch dies. There's not a lot you can do without disassembly.

Flush/replace with fresh brake fluid yearly or at least every two years. Funky water logged brake fluid is tough on metal parts. Rust pits the bores and the loose rust destroys the rubber bits. Just remember to flush the clutch when you flush your brakes. Other than keeping clean fluid in the system really ain't no maint on the clutch...so do it.

KaiserMan 02-14-2013 12:03 AM

If yours isn't leaking I'd leave it in there. My NAPA replacement started getting damp (not outright leaking) after about a year and a half.

It was only $35 though.

FSJunkie 02-14-2013 09:16 AM

The chassis looks good.

Those are some spindly little front leaf springs! Four-leaf? At first glance I thought they might be sagging because of the reverse arch they have compared to the slight upward arch the 7 leaf versions had by the late 60s. Of course, unless Jeep arched the 4 leaf packs more, they would naturally ride a little lower, so without a proper baseline, who knows?

jaber 02-14-2013 10:06 PM

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects... :thumbsup:

Shes a beauty. This one is going to be fun to watch. Its also close enough I might get to see it.

66Stepside 02-15-2013 10:03 PM

Welcome, nice start to an awesome build!:drivin:

smittles 02-16-2013 09:45 PM

Thank you, guys!:)
Unfortunately today I was forced to accept that I need a better work space:banghead:...I need a lift:banghead:...and a new wrench.:rolleyes: I was also unfortunate to learn that the line from the master to slave(clutch) leaks.:grumble: I think its just the old rubber. It didn't snap and hose me with fluid, but it obviously needs help.:grumble: The transmission is being held (forward/backward) to the crossmember by 3 bolts that are not the right size and has slipped backwards a little(1/4 inch-if that).:grumble: I am looking forward to visiting SEARS:thumbsup:.

Is it safe to have the truck on 4 jack stands? I don't think it is, but I just don't want to die under it before I get a chance to wheel it. I would consider it if it was at least on a level surface...
I will see how the new wrench and/or socket works out then go from there.
Y'all have fun

blkwarrior 02-16-2013 09:55 PM

I figured you would have it running today :rolleyes: . If you are on solid and mostly level ground jack stands are prety good. Mine lived on a set for about three months awaiting a heart transplant and TC swap. Keep wrenching at it man it will be running soon.... a WOT is only a request away :thumbsup: .

Tad 02-17-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittles
...Is it safe to have the truck on 4 jack stands?...

Mine, like many others has lived in that position many times over the last 12 years, just like other rigs I have owned.
I don't enjoy the vision of being crushed so I always toss something under there when I have to be there. Spare tire, floor jack, it doesn't really matter as long as it's big, solid and will buy you enough time to get out from under there if something goes wrong.

I watched one of my rigs fall off jack stands.
I was bout 30 feet away and had just removed the front axle which involved the typical pounding and pushing.
It was a slow, almost graceful fall to the drivers side and I was really glad I was not under there.

jaber 02-17-2013 08:09 AM

Once I get it up, I grab a corner of the rig and shake the hell out of it just to be sure. If it moves any, I reposition the stands and do it again. As Tad says, if theres room, I through the tires under the frame area just to be safe. ;)

Tad 02-17-2013 09:16 AM

Dang, I just looked at your spring pic's.
My old '70 front spring packs were up in PHX for well over a year waiting on a pick up that never happened.
I had left them with Mike (will e) for another member but he sold his rig.
They were re-arched to 4" at one point with a secondary main spring installed that eventually settled to about 2".

Might not be there because I did tell Mike to toss them, but it might be worth a PM to him, some of us have a very high hoarding factor when it comes to FSJ parts.

jsinajeep 02-17-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tad
Dang, I just looked at your spring pic's.
My old '70 front spring packs were up in PHX for well over a year waiting on a pick up that never happened.
I had left them with Mike (will e) for another member but he sold his rig.
They were re-arched to 4" at one point with a secondary main spring installed that eventually settled to about 2".

Might not be there because I did tell Mike to toss them, but it might be worth a PM to him, some of us have a very high hoarding factor when it comes to FSJ parts.

Oh, not me. I don't hoarder parts:D.

suzq044 02-17-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkwarrior
I figured you would have it running today :rolleyes: . If you are on solid and mostly level ground jack stands are prety good. Mine lived on a set for about three months awaiting a heart transplant and TC swap. Keep wrenching at it man it will be running soon.... a WOT is only a request away :thumbsup: .

except that he was/is workin in a storage unit. They probably wouldn't look too kindly on having that sort of thing go on. LOL

smittles 11-04-2013 10:40 PM

Well, folks, I am long past due for updating. Sadly my father passed away at the end of March. I was in GA for most of April. I ended up deciding to move home due to all circumstances involved. I got home to find my 86 GW had been sold to a scrapper along with my 89 GW donor. I am down to 1-the 64 panel. Suzq and I moved throughout May. My granfather's CJ-7 and 64 Willys CJ are still here. Some backwoods country lowlife a-hole stole the radiators out of them a few months ago along with chevy late 70s pick up, 68 chevy fc van, and an rv in my grandmother's field. He also took any batteries available. Unfortunaley, I didn't find this out until weeks later. Still out of work. Now I need a transmission jack to work on the panel. Stalled until i find one in my father's estate or Santa brings me one for Christmas. I dont suppose we have many members near Macon, GA? Anyone in the area have a floor/low transmission jack I may borrow? Thanks again guys. Y'all take care.

babywag 11-05-2013 11:44 AM

Sorry to hear about your dad, that's a tough one. Mine passed away last year.
Hang in there!

smittles 02-20-2020 12:41 PM

Finally

Good afternoon y'all. Still in GA. Still havent fixed it yet. Have decided what to do with it. I'll save all the original parts and eventual do a resto. Been a rough cpl yrs regarding finances and transportation. For now, I'm in need of a driver. I'm starting to look for a newer drivetrain. Ideally, 4.0 and another manual. What is the most affordable vs performance engine and newest trans(rwd), and tcase(4wd) I can swap into this old 64? Thanks everyone!

joe 02-20-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittles
I'll save all the original parts and eventual do a resto.

If an eventual resto is your end goal, why double the grief, work, costs with a drive train swap just to redo it over again later? What's wrong with your orig 230/T90/D20 that warrants replacing? The 230 isn't a hot rod or heavy hauler tow motor but if up to spec plenty quick for DD use. Granted the later 4.0 is a great I-6 but not a drop in motor. I don't know of any motor swap that'll be a drop-in. Yeah the 230 OHC has it's inherent maint issues but all cheap-n-easy stuff if you just keep up on the simple regular maint.

tgreese 02-21-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe
If an eventual resto is your end goal, why double the grief, work, costs with a drive train swap just to redo it over again later? What's wrong with your orig 230/T90/D20 that warrants replacing? The 230 isn't a hot rod or heavy hauler tow motor but if up to spec plenty quick for DD use. Granted the later 4.0 is a great I-6 but not a drop in motor. I don't know of any motor swap that'll be a drop-in. Yeah the 230 OHC has it's inherent maint issues but all cheap-n-easy stuff if you just keep up on the simple regular maint.

Pretty sure the 226 flathead Continental engine used in Utility Wagons is a drop-in for the 230 OHC. A good engine, but a big step down in power. And this would be a '50s era engine you'd need to find in good condition to replace your '60s era engine.