• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • streetglide
    232 I6
    • Feb 06, 2009

Rescue green Metallic?

Most of my truck is at the body shop now. Deciding on what color to go with. You guys think this would look good on a 84 J20? I plan on having matt black bumpers, wheels, trim, and grill, along with black lettering.

Not sure whose truck this is, but how about olive drab or army green? Both look very nice to me.
    84 J20..Down to frame resto at the moment. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98908
    69 Dodge Coronet(Super-wanna-Bee)
    77 Dodge M880
  • Atla
    258 I6
    • Jun 13, 2012

I'm digging the olive drab, I've never been a fan of Rescue Green.
    ~Atla.
    My '83 J-10 Rebuild
    http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Comment

• streetglide
      232 I6
      • Feb 06, 2009

I always have liked olive drab my self. Cost wise, it would be cheaper than the rescue green. Plus look at the money Id save on not waxing the shiny paint.
      84 J20..Down to frame resto at the moment. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98908
      77 Dodge M880

Comment

• brushawg
        258 I6
        • Dec 17, 2006

There's a build up on a 77 j20 that has a beautiful green paint job on it! I believe it belongs to Herr? can't remember his last name but it looks great!
        Just
        Expect
        Every
        Problem

Got to love them

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

You going to paint it yourself? The Kirker paints are well regarded, and they come in standard colors. http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/colorchartview2.HTML These will be way less expensive than a custom mix.

Note that a metallic will be a lot easier to get even in base coat-clear coat, rather than single stage. If I were shooting a solid color, I'd pick single stage.

Don't care for OD myself. Just about any other color would be preferable to OD.

Shiny paints are more durable than flats, BTW. To get a flat, you take a shiny paint and add a flattening agent (powdered talc typically). The extra particles reduce the hardness and weather resistance of the paint.

<edit> Re the Rescue Green, you might not like it as well on a larger vehicle. Bright colors can be overwhelming on a large vehicle. Look at the 2013 Jeep factory colors - lots of bright colors for the Wrangler, and all the GC colors are rather subdued. The "Black Forest Green Pearl" for the GC would look good on a J-truck. Also realize that the darker colors show the flaws in your body work more ... if you like the shade of OD, look at the 2013 Wrangler Commando Green.
          Last edited by tgreese; 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Southern Gorilla
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 05, 2010

OD on Jeeps is soooooooo overdone. That "rescue" green looks a whole lot like the pea green that was popular in the '60s & '70s. There's another J-truck around here somewhere that has a shiny green coat that looks absolutely amazing. It is neither of these shades.
            It's not an SUV. It's an SEV: Surface Exploration Vehicle.

'76 Cherokee NT
            360/T-18

Trailers belong behind trucks, not under them.

Why? Because nobody in the history of 'wheeling has ever said, "good thing I put those smaller tires on my rig."

Comment

• streetglide
              232 I6
              • Feb 06, 2009

Not going to paint it myself. Figured I'd let the experts do it. A lot of bodywork prep involved, And I'm not sure what I'm doing when it comes to that.
              I don't have the compressor that would handle a job like this, or the equipment needed to start painting something like this.
              I want it to look decent when done. And I'm a little short on patience after working on this since 2009. I'm to the point of just wanting it done.
              Any input from you guys on this is taken seriously.
              I was leaning towards Olive drab to start, for the fact that it looks tough and may hide some body work flaws.
              For you guys peeking in on this topic, please leave your thoughts no matter what color you think might look good......
              77 Dodge M880

Comment

• streetglide
                232 I6
                • Feb 06, 2009

And I agree, rescue green metallic may not look good on a full size jeep. There's a Comanche on eBay right now in that color that has me doubting that choice.
                77 Dodge M880

Comment

i always liked the rescue green, when i got my waggy i though tit would look cool in rescue green but i will probably never paint it any color.

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

How about Sand Tan, ala the JT

That would go well with your blacked-out trim too.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• KJ Ryu
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 06, 2008

Originally posted by tgreese
                      How about Sand Tan, ala the JT

That would go well with your blacked-out trim too.
                      I love it! Original Desert Sand (and oxidation):

Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
                      1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
                      1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
                      1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
                      One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• nc wagoneer
                        350 Buick
                        • May 08, 2012

I like the rescue green personally but it just doesn't work on a fsj. I think the sand tan looks great though od is just too normal around here. Could go a-team and black the whole thing out in flat black.
                        old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
                        Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
                        "BROWED AND PROUD"
                        Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                        Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• Nooj
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 02, 2010

I think the J-10 in OD green looks awesome. I don't care if there were as many OD green vehicles on the road as silver/grey- I'd still like it.

I think the rescue green is ok, but it's kind of an odd hue. A dark green metallic might look more fitting. But, in the end it's your decision. Paint it whatever you think looks good, and forget the nay-sayers

Nooj

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                            King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Atla
                            I'm digging the olive drab, I've never been a fan of Rescue Green.
                            X2
                            Bryan Smith
                            2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                            - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                            1986 Jeep J20
                            - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                            1982 Jeep J10
                            - Has become a Long Term Project.
                            1981 Jeep J20
                            - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                            1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                            - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                            ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                            Originally posted by Lindel
                            Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• srob3
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 30, 2004

YMMV

I have a 97 TJ in "citron" which i think was the precursor to "rescue green." I love it on the baby jeep but think it's obnoxious on an XJ I have seen; just too much body area.
                              78 J10<br />75 Chief
                              Knoxville, TN

Comment

Working...
                              X