International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself. (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   New Grand Wagoneer owner (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187622)

Thatch 08-30-2019 11:43 AM

New Grand Wagoneer owner

I've posted here a few times before to assist my son who has a 79 J-10 that he has been (and still is) working on. I've now bought a 86 Grand Wagoneer for my wife who has wanted one for some time. We've been looking at them and finding mostly over priced, over promised trucks with some fairly big issues. (for the asking price). We had a local Wagoneer pop up for a very low price and it (at least seemed) too good to pass up, so I rushed over and agreed to a price and got it towed back home. It was a bit of a purchase on faith, as it doesn't run currently. I feel financially pretty safe with it as the cost was low enough and the body in good enough shape that I could unload it with a profit if need be. Hopefully that won't be an issue though. I'll post an account of what the supposed issue is in the correct forum as to not clutter this one up too much.

There is no rot on the vehicle that I can find, wheel wells and rockers all look great. There is some rust forming below the windshield in one area and on two of the windows, and the front and rear lower fascia panels are a bit pock marked but otherwise it's pretty solid and shouldn't cause too much body work on a planned paint job.

Hopefully I'll eventually have some wisdom to share on this board, but I suspect I'll just be the idiot in the room for the time being as I've not ever owned a jeep myself before.

KillyMcGee 08-31-2019 10:02 AM

New wagoneer owner too. Congrats.

chubbinius 08-31-2019 02:19 PM

Welcome to the joy of ownership! That looks nice from the photo. Hoping your leap of faith paid off and it is a great rig for you!

SOLSAKS 09-01-2019 07:44 AM

welcome to the forum.
nice wagoneer.
that is my favorite rim design,...
( more polished area on the fins for more shine )
I think you made a good buy.
dave in NC:drivin:

rang-a-stang 09-03-2019 10:53 AM

Rust free is a great way to start! I think it's usually easier to make a truck run correctly, then it is to get rid of rust. Looking forward to watching you put this guy together !

Thatch 09-03-2019 02:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Coastal Georgia and prepping for the hurricane has taken away my time for trying to get her started, but hopefully I can get back on that this weekend.

We're a bit torn on colors, but like white well enough that if we don't go down the recolor path we'll be happy enough with it. The important part was getting one of the brown interiors. Outside of the burgundy interior I like most of the options on GWs.

Although it did come with mildew on the interior...

That has since been cleaned up (about 90-95%, I'll be doing a few rounds of mildew cleaning to get it all gone) and looks much better. No tears in the interior, though they are showing age and aren't far from cracking I think.

SOLSAKS 09-04-2019 09:12 AM

the great thing about vinyl is
no matter how big the mess
a spray of strong cleaner and a bristle brush
will make it like new again,....

bet that mildew came right off.

seats:
notorious for being brittle

either more leather or high grade marine vinyl
is the only cure.

good luck with the storm
iam 100 miles from the coast of NC.

dave in NC:drivin:

miracleed 09-10-2019 01:36 PM

Welcome! Savannah's a really nice town. If I had seen a Wagoneer driving down the street when I lived there I probably would have tried to tackle it so I could talk to the person driving.