• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The PIG Smith
    King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Tool Recommendation

My son Nathan has always been interested in Auto Mechanics, especially working our FSJ projects.
    He is a HS Senior and after a visit to a local Community College, he dropped a bomb on us that he wants to go to college and study Automotive Technology after he graduates.
    While this has me troubled some as he is not very studious, he works great with his hands and I think if he get past the academics of College, he will be very successful as a mechanic.

I would like to get him started with a nice set of basic tools, wrenches, ratchet set, etc for a Christmas present.
    I cannot afford the really good stuff, like Snap-on, MAC or Cornwell.
    So, what would you consider to be your second choice? Craftsman? Kobalt? Stanley?
    Bryan Smith
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
    1986 Jeep J20
    - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Has become a Long Term Project.
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
    1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
    - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
    ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
    Originally posted by Lindel
    Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

craftsman is decent entry level. its what i have mostly. menards sells Allen,which are usa made and decent. i have a lot of those too.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Ghinmi
      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I don't have much of a recommendation on tools (I have all second hand or cheap stuff for the most part). But congrats to you and especially Nathan on finding something he likes and is wanting to pursue! Good stuff!
      Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
      http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• ProTouring442
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 15, 2011

I left the same message on the other site, but I'll leave it here as well for any whom it might assist.

For hand tools, the GearWrench brand seems to be a nice, inexpensive brand. A nice step up is SK (I have abox full of SK sockets, ratchets, and wrenches).

For pliers, etc, Channel Lock.

For impact sockets, Gray Pneumatic, and Sunnex re nice and not so expensive.

All the above is, of course, my own opinion. On the other hand, I did sell mechanic's tools for a living for some 10 years.
        You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• 61Hawk
          258 I6
          • Jul 18, 2009

I'd watch for the Craftsman sets that will be going on sale over the next couple months. It seems like Sears has sets on sale every week as we get closer to Christmas.

Comment

• Strode
            1st Chair, Cowbell
            • Nov 08, 2011

Craftsman Industrial is made in USA. They dropped the Professional line, and that replaced it. I like em.

Williams is USA made too, I think it's a division of SnapOn, and nice stuff.
            Brad
            (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Tripwire
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 30, 2000

I vote a large craftsman mechanix set ( $600.00 ) bought one 20 years ago and only had a single failure in a ratchet which they replaced no questions asked... the big boy stuff is for serious shops it will last him and his son no problem

you get what you pay for....
              Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• 8man
                304 AMC
                • Jan 04, 2011

Got my first Craftsman set in 72 and still have them and use them.
                79 Cherokee S (current project)
                82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• mokurt
                  258 I6
                  • Feb 23, 2014

Wait for a sale at Sears,or even HF will be good for a starter.

If your son does take the mechanic route,he can buy the good stuff later.

We sent our son fresh out of high school to Sequoia Automotive Institute.I think it's Wyo Tech now.
                  He was working at Wally World in the tire/oil change dept.,going to school at night.

After graduation,he got his foot in the door at a Chevy dealership.
                  He worked at two other chevy dealerships before landing a union bus mechanic job.
                  Last edited by mokurt; 11-01-2014, 06:55 AM.
                  1967 J2000
                  1985 CJ7

Comment

• blazer3664
                    350 Buick
                    • Mar 08, 2009

craftsman is decent entry level. its what i have mostly
                    I have quite a mix, but a lot of Craftsman stuff as well. I dont care for their standard ratchets though, they dig into my hands sometimes. I much prefer a round handle ratchet.

That said

I would agree with those that mentioned the Craftsman sale stuff.
                    On sale they are about as good a "value" as any cheaper stuff, and later as he starts to go looking for a job they wont think twice seeing Craftsman in his tool box.

menards sells Allen,which are usa made and decent.
                    X2
                    For made in the USA hand tools, Menards has Allen brand and a lot of the basics under the Master Force brand (looks a lot like S-K stuff to me) with lifetime warranty.
                    I have also seen Gear-wrench brand stuff there, though I'm not sure where they are made, and dont own any to call them good/bad.

As bad as some people hate to hear it...................... Functionally, and for the $$.
                    For my go to travel kit........
                    I have a HF 301pc "Pittsburg Pro" set, and a few other odds and ends that have impressed me, for cheap basic tools anyway.
                    If I were to start over on tools, I would be watching their sales and picking up all the basics on sale.
                    Wrenches, ratchets, sockets, breaker bar, and extensions I have from there were all on sale for cheap compaired to the name brand equivelents. So far no failures, and I use my tools regularly and hard.

For what you are talking about, and I have a friend who started the same way, I think Craftsman is probably your best bet.

Heres why...

1) Catch sets on sale and the prices are compairable or slightly higher than HF stuff when its not on sale.

2) From an employers/customers standpoint they are cheap "profesional mechanics" tools.
                    Some employers/customers will second guess a mechanic who doesn't take his tools seriously (HF or other "off brand" tools).
                    Some wont care as long as he knows how to use them correctly. My friend ran into that back when he got started.

Just my $.02 so take it for what it is.

Haveing an employment goal is a great thing in life. So many dont have the ambition or sence of sefl worth to do so anymore.
                    Its good to hear he does.

One of my step-sons did, one still don't. Guess which one I worry about.

Wish the boy well, and suport him emotionally if he goes for it.
                    Do what you can WITH him financially, there are many grants and such out there. I know they are hard to get, and a pain in the ... , but you never know till you try.
                    If he shares the pain of funding, and filing for funding his schooling it will help him understand the importance of finishing what he's starting.

Be sure he understands the important thing is you are there for him to offer help when you can, financial or moral.

Sorry about the long post, hopefully something in there helps.

Jim
                    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
                    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
                    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
                    custom shackle flip
                    W/F150 springs
                    -----Coming Soon-----
                    snorkels,
                    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

I'll toss in another vote for Craftsman for starting out. My original Craftsman stuff I bought in the 60's is still in use today. If your son needs some inspiration have him read "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Crawford. Good read.
                      The world has enough lawyers and liberal arts majors. We need people to make things and fix'em.
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 25, 2010

I've stated on this site before I know of "Professional" truck and heavy equipment Techs who have used Craftsman as their go to tools. They may have had to buy Snap On or Mac specialty tools but that was rare.

Most of the guys buy Snap On or Mac because they can buy on credit, something I'd personally avoid.

I just spoke to our HR person last Thursday about new recruits. We are constantly trying to recruit new techs 18 years and older who are going to a trade school or college. We work them while they are off of school for summer break. This is to filter through them and find the best candidates for our type of business. Northwestern in Ohio and Ferris State here in Michigan are two of the schools they are currently partnered with. A lot of the older guys are struggling with the electronics and DPF systems. It doesn't help that the DPF systems aren't designed to operate correctly in our industry.

Good techs are hard to find, let alone any young ones. If he listens and learns this stuff, he will make a good living. He needs to remember, auto's are the lower rung and they pay less than heavy equip and truck repair.

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by joe
                          I'll toss in another vote for Craftsman for starting out. My original Craftsman stuff I bought in the 60's is still in use today. If your son needs some inspiration have him read "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Crawford. Good read.
                          The world has enough lawyers and liberal arts majors. We need people to make things and fix'em.
                          Amen Brother Joe!

The essay that inspired the book.

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Gurinski
                            258 I6
                            • Mar 14, 2010

Originally posted by Cherokeeowner
                            Amen Brother Joe!

The essay that inspired the book.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/docLib...awford2009.pdf
                            x3
                            Im all for the lawers doc and computer geeks but our country is the way it is because of all the industries we lost to over seas and the decent paying jobs that went with them.

My idea would be to get a tool box and fill it like an easter basket with stuff from everywhere. My first set was craftsmen and I would still have it if I didn't take with me everywhere I went(was stolen out my 3rd car). When he graduates you can splurge a little as a grad present.
                            1991 GW TFI GM-icm 360 727 np229

Comment

• hookedup50
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 07, 2010

I use mostly craftsman/kobalt tools(used to work at lowes). Both brands hold up well to my abuse. I also have sets of evercraft deep impact sockets. The deep impacts from HF aren't really deep as the hole that the bolt is supposed to fit in is to small. They are also thick walled as the metallurgy is not up to snuff. If I am going to abuse something to the point of failure, thats when HF shines, cause who cares. I like SK as well. Gear wrench with pivot, are my favorite for close quarters like bell housing near firewall on my diesel P/U.
                              If I was young, I would be at diesel mechanic school or marine mechanic, as pay scale is better. Thats just my opinion, and there is always a need for a good young auto techs.
                              Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
                              Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
                              Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
                              07 Colorado
                              http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

Working...
                              X