• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yankeedog
    304 AMC
    • Mar 14, 2007

5 speed

any body running a 5 speed from a 4 liter wrangler behind a 360?I know ther are two an ax15 and a nv 3550 (3350?) does any body know if an amc type 208 transfer case will bolt up to either one?
  • david gibson
    232 I6
    • Apr 07, 2006

5 speed trans

I know an NV 3550 will bolt to a Spicer 300 transfer case by using a clocking ring. If your NP 208 or like bolt pattern is what's in '2000's Wranglers or XJ Cherokees, then yes. That's the sum of my knowledge, good luck.

Comment

• addicted
      Big Meanie
      • Dec 11, 2004

Originally posted by david gibson
      I know an NV 3550 will bolt to a Spicer 300 transfer case by using a clocking ring. If your NP 208 or like bolt pattern is what's in '2000's Wranglers or XJ Cherokees, then yes. That's the sum of my knowledge, good luck.
      A AX15 will not bolt up to an NP208 without a spacer/clocking ring. The 208's intput housing bottoms out before they connect but there is plenty of spline engagement. An NV3550 would be the better choice of the 2 to go behind a 360 but the shifter might come up under the dash.
      Originally posted by Ristow
      i bet it was Simon....
      he's such big meanie that way...
      please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• thomastenn
        232 I6
        • Jun 30, 2008

the 3550 is the bette choice but the shifter should be further back then the dash the 4500 has the more forward shifter
        looking to initiate project j715

Comment

• Kris
          350 Buick
          • Jul 05, 2000

Originally posted by yankeedog
          any body running a 5 speed from a 4 liter wrangler behind a 360?

I just finished installing mine last weekend.
          The 208 has a long input gear so you would need a '95 or later trans if you didnt want to run a spacer.

The FSJ uses the same clocking as the xj, the yj uses a flatter clocking. My trans came out of a yj and I had to redrill the adapter for the lower clocking. Even the 231 would not fit with the yj clocking.
          An option is to get an earlier (short input) trans and use the 208 with a clocking ring that is 7/8 thick.

Heres the stuff that will bite you.
          Hydraulic clutch.
          Search, there are options. I needed to keep my vacuum booster and made a bracket to space the booster an additional 2.375" off the firewall. My trans was from a '92, so I just ordered up a clutch master from a '92.

Flywheel.
          The v8 flywheel is taller (from the crankflange to the disk surface) than the 4.0 flywheel. My measurements gave a good chance that the extra protrusion into the bellhousing would interfere with proper slave cylinder operation so I had the 4.0 flywheel match balanced to the 360 flexplate to avoid any potential problem.
          The 4.0 flywheel is about 1-2lbs lighter than the v8 flywheel I have.

Pilot bearing.
          The 92 and later ax and nv trans uses a .750" pilot tip so this doesnt apply to the earlier trans.
          The clutch kit will come with the correct bearing but not the sleeve to fit it into the torque converter bore in the back of the crank. The correct part is FC-69907, I have the Mopar # somewhere, but you can google it. It was $17 at the dealer and about $15 at NAPA.
          Now...
          The converter bore in my 360 crank wasnt as deep as the 4.0. This concerned me so I test fitted the trans without the clutch installed to check if the input would bottom on the bearing. It looked like the face of the input was rubbing on the bearing but when I took the trans out the grease line left on the input tip showed about .090" clearance. I consider this an absolute minimum clearance, well see how it lasts.

Crossmember.
          Using the ax15 with the yj trans mount, the crossmember is in the rear position on the frame. Although only slightly longer over all, the ax15 mount is farther back on the trans than the 727 and it is not centered. It is about 1/2" over to the passenger side so you will end up with overlapping holes for the trans mount. I just made a doubler plate for the underside to make up for the loss of material.
          Its also very advisable to use the "torque arm mount" on the trans. This unfortunately is positioned to line up with the crossmember in the forward position. I solved this by welding some 2x2 off the front of the crossmember to line up under the mount and attached it there.

TC shifter.
          The yj shifter will not work when the transfer case is clocked down. The geometry changes just enough that it wont shift past neutral. Im sure that it can be modified to work but I ran out of time and just bought the Novak shifter kit.

I just ordered a NOS 80-87 (NP transfercase) style SJ manual trans shifter boot, it should be here today. Expensive but it will look factory. If you do get the yj shifter to work, the yj uses an inner and outer boot that the dealer wants about $140 for. Try to get it from the donor.

The 3550 is dimentionally identical to the ax15, although the plate for the trans mount may have changed, I havnt seen one though.

If you are going to go thru with it and have more questions, just ask. Ill have it on the road in a few days. I have taken a few pic's thru the swap, but not enough to really document it. If you nee to see anything I can still get to, lemme know and Ill see what I can do.

k.
          89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
          Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
          -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

• Greg Taylor
            350 Buick
            • Nov 14, 2000

Originally posted by Kris
            I just finished installing mine last weekend.

Kris,
            Did you install the Nv3550 or the AX15? Also, can you post pics, please? Thanks!
            Sincerely,
            Greg Taylor
            Rochester Hills, MI

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"

Comment

• Billygoat
              304 AMC
              • Mar 16, 2004

I have an NV3550 behind a 360 in my CJ (Dana 300 tcase)
              I can tell you the 4.0 bellhousing is the same bolt patteren, so get the bellhousing and throw out actuator arm, slave and master and you are set for an "adapter" kit, just change the piolet bushing.

Yes the 360 flywheel is 1/4" thicker than the 4.0 (I have heard that some of the newer ones are not?), several people told me to get a 4.0 matched balanced and when I inqured at local shops I was treated by a blank stare...

The throw out arm is about 1" thick formed 'C', so I cut out the face section where the brg sits and welded it back in recesed 1/4" and added some filler behind it for good messure.
              It has been working for a year now, for all I know it could break today or never, but I just toss this out as an option.

Comment

• Kris
                350 Buick
                • Jul 05, 2000

Originally posted by Greg Taylor
                Kris,
                Did you install the Nv3550 or the AX15? Also, can you post pics, please? Thanks!
                I just posted some up the other day in the other thread. Its an ax15...

Post 40.
                As the title reads I have a few questions before I dive into a swap Money and difficulty of swap aside, what do you guys think would be the best for a DD 88 GW v8? Also how would I need to change my 3.31 ratio to best take advantage of the transmissions? Thanks

Lemme know if you need any other pics.

k.
                89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

Working...