GW rear tailgate glass adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GW rear tailgate glass adjustment

I swapped out rear glass from a boneyard GW (only $20 bucks), when my original lower track rusted and the glass separated.

The donor glass must be a tad shorter or something, as the top doesn't fit tight against the seal like the old one did.

Is there anyway to adjust the mechanical range of the motor or mechanism. I removed the motor from the lift and it just turns and turns with no stop, so the movement range must be in the lift mechanism.

I thought about bending the arms a bit, but egged the mounting holes instead mounting the lift a little higher in the tailgate shell, but it seemed to make it worse. (Perhaps try other direction.)

Any ideas.

I figure the donor glass was cut short. It came from an older GW, probably 70's as it didn't have the defroster either. The lift track looks the same, but it doesn't have a rubber seal and looks to use compression as the only means of holding the glass in. The 88 track that fell apart had a combo of adhesive and rubber sandwiched in the grove. Maybe that added height?

Advice appreciated as always.

Thoughts?

What is that screw do-hicky on the lift motor.

Surely someone has had this problem. The rear windows on our rigs get alot of use!

Comment

• chrisnsarah
      360 AMC
      • Sep 24, 2000

All the windows I've seen are compression fitted with a rubber U-channel. The adhesive may be an afterthought to secure a lose window.

I haven't heard of any differences in glass sizes other than a slight difference with the older stainless steel framed units.

Is it possible that someone had a tempered replacement cut by a glass shop and didn't trace it quite right?
      '64 J200 thriftside
      '67 J2000 townside custom cab
      '68 Jeepster Commando
      '69 Super Wagoneer
      '75 J10
      '79 Cherokee S WT
      '75 Cherokee
      '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

It takes two people to safely try this but when the tailgate is down and the safety interlock switch is held in the closed position, you should see that the window travels farther up than it does when the gate is closed. Someone must hold the window at proper angle with tailgate so it does not get messed up if you try this. Trying that may help you troubleshoot the problem. If it still does not move up any higher with gate open, something inside the gate must be causing it to bind up.

When I rebuilt the tailgate in my 88 GW 10 years ago with new bottom rail, felts and seals, I had trouble getting it to go up all the way as it was hanging on one side and getting a little cockeyed. You getting that symptom? I had to adjust the rails the glass slides in inside the tailgate to fix it.
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

The mounting holes for the regulator are "slightly" slotted, but you're not going to get much out of them.

I'd replace the "rubber" gasket, if it's missing, I've never seen one without it.
          You'll probably gain a minor height increase.

How much does it need to move?
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
          X