• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mopar_guy
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 10, 2022

New to IFSJ

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 83 Cherokee and have reading on here a while try to figure out some things. I've been on The AMC Forum for quite a long time so I see a number of familiar names on here that are on there as well.

I see posting pictures here is a bit different than there so I 'll have to see if the current hosting site I use will work for this site.
  • devildog80
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2022

Welcome to IFSJA and congrats on your new to you FSJ

I had similar issues with posting pics, and found Flickr works good.
    '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Welcome! I am pretty sure you helped me with my 401 a couple years back over on theamcforum. Congrats on the Cherk!

Posting pics takes some getting used to. Here are a few "how-tos"
      I've noticed some threads come up about people having problems posting photo's to the site here. I have always found it pretty easy, but I figure I can show others (with pictures;) )how I do it, and maybe we can get some more pics of some kick ass Jeeps here! Generally, this process should work the same way from other 3rd party

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• sierrablue
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 24, 2022

Welcome!

So out of curiosity, is the Cherokee stock? What plans do you have for it?
        DD:
        '71 Wagoneer
        B350/TH400/D20
        open knuckle D44 front
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Project:
        December 1962 Panel Delivery 4x4, Stock
        Pulled out of the woods in July 2023--hey, it rolls now https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/tongue.png
        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...29#post2476527

Previous Rig:
        Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
        .060 over 401, TBI, headers
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

Comment

• Mopar_guy
          230 Tornado
          • Jul 10, 2022

Thanks. Yes, it's all stock. My plan is leave the body stock with it's original paint and patina and set it on a new chassis that's 2wd. It'll be a pro touring version of what Ghinmi did with his. I have a 6.4 Hemi with an 8 speed that'll power it and I'll be driving it all over doing road tours and such with it Yeah, I'm sure it'll upset some but most will like it. I like the body style and it'll be something different that's not LS swapped. I have a 73 Javelin that I Hemi swapped 4 years ago and it's been a blast to drive. This will be able to carry more luggage for those really long trips.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

That sounds epic! You know, the only thing I have heard universally disliked on FSJs was the Grand Wago done by Pimp My Ride. These FSJs are such bastards to begin with, they are pretty much open to whatever someone wants to do to them. I have seen Pontiac/Ford V8s, Folks talk about electrifying them (ahem, SB), grills swapped, lowered, raised, etc. Some asked (recently) what is your dream FSJ. My #2 was a lowered, vintage NASCAR looking WT 79 Cherk; Like if Jeep tried to go to NASCAR with an AWD WT Cherk but got denied at the last minute. I say go to town and PLEASE SHOW US a TOOOOOOOOON Of pictures!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• sierrablue
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 24, 2022

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              That sounds epic! You know, the only thing I have heard universally disliked on FSJs was the Grand Wago done by Pimp My Ride. These FSJs are such bastards to begin with, they are pretty much open to whatever someone wants to do to them. I have seen Pontiac/Ford V8s, Folks talk about electrifying them (ahem, SB), grills swapped, lowered, raised, etc. Some asked (recently) what is your dream FSJ. My #2 was a lowered, vintage NASCAR looking WT 79 Cherk; Like if Jeep tried to go to NASCAR with an AWD WT Cherk but got denied at the last minute. I say go to town and PLEASE SHOW US a TOOOOOOOOON Of pictures!
              Hey, I'd actually be doing the electrification of I had the time and (more critically) money

Not saying it's wrong or anything, and I can see the appeal, but why the swap to 2wd? Better mileage and you don't need the 4? They do make the adapter you need to throw the Hemi and 8-speed in front of the t-case, so I'm curious. Like I said, not saying it's wrong. It's just different.
              DD:
              '71 Wagoneer
              B350/TH400/D20
              open knuckle D44 front
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Project:
              December 1962 Panel Delivery 4x4, Stock
              Pulled out of the woods in July 2023--hey, it rolls now https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/tongue.png
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...29#post2476527

Previous Rig:
              Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
              .060 over 401, TBI, headers
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

Comment

• Mopar_guy
                230 Tornado
                • Jul 10, 2022

Originally posted by sierrablue
                Hey, I'd actually be doing the electrification of I had the time and (more critically) money

Not saying it's wrong or anything, and I can see the appeal, but why the swap to 2wd? Better mileage and you don't need the 4? They do make the adapter you need to throw the Hemi and 8-speed in front of the t-case, so I'm curious. Like I said, not saying it's wrong. It's just different.

No problem for asking. For one thing the stock suspension suchs on these things. My 97 3/4 ton Ram rides much nicer than this thing! I don't need 4WD because I won't be wheeling it and I have a 17 GC. I wanted a bigger vehicle to do road tours and cars shows with. I have a Hemi swapped Javelin that I average over 5k miles a summer in. I already have 3,800 miles on it since May. We'll be taking it on a 3k mile road tour next month so it'll be nice to have room for luggage and stuff without having to fill the back seat up. It's going to be a pro touring type Cherokee. Modern driveline, decent mileage, a whole lot more HP, a much better ride with handling and some nice interior updates all in a cool, old package that'll turn heads crusin down the highway. It does get the looks and the thumbs up already! We took it out to a cruise in tonight and it got a lot of looks and had several people ask about it.

Comment

• devildog80
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 13, 2022

Do you have a build thread with pics already?
                  '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Comment

• Mopar_guy
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jul 10, 2022

Originally posted by devildog80
                    Do you have a build thread with pics already?
                    No, not yet. With it being summer, I've been to busy to sit down and figure out the picture thing. Going to shows, cruise ins and hanging with friends is more important! I'm not going to get started on it till next year anyway. I have another car I need to finish putting back together and sell because that's the build $$ for the Cherokee.

Comment

• devildog80
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 13, 2022

Nice....looking forward to it then

Comment

Working...
                      X