• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpcar123
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 11, 2019

1991 Grand Wagoneer

Hi All,

I've been searching posts and threads for a problem I have with my newly acquired 1991 Grand Wagoneer. I've attached the vac diagram for 1991 because it seems to be a bit different than earlier models. Also, I'm scheduled for a smog test soon. So I can't bypass cto's and the like.

When approximately 7 inHG is reached at the distributor vac advance the jeep starts surging violently (barely keeps running). When I disconnect the vac advance no surging, but no advance either. Everything is connected as the diagram. Initial timing is set to about 15 degrees (sticker says 17 +- 2).
    Manifold vacuum is about 18 in-Hg and steady, a bit low?. I think I have eliminated most vac leaks.
    The jeep sat for over a year before I bought it.

Things I've already done so far:
    Carb kit, the only issue found was leaking power valve.
    new plugs, wires, cap, rotor,
    One mile of vacuum line changed.
    Compression is 132 - 145 psi on all cylinders.

Sorry, the attached pic is ultra-small. Attachment manger is rough!

Thanks,
    rpcar
    Attached Files
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

what elevation are you at?
    sounds like you have a high altitude emissions sticker?
    stock timing is 10*
    high altitude(above 4000') are 17*
    @7" the vacuum advance should be all done.

I'd lower initial timing and see how it runs
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
      350 Buick
      • Feb 15, 2010

Sounds like your distributer diaphragm is leaking causing a vacuum leak? You can leave it unplugged and it will run ok. If you need to you can plug the line and hook it up to the system so it does not leak and lets you get through emissions testing till you get it fixed.

Comment

• rpcar123
        230 Tornado
        • Aug 11, 2019

I'm at 2800' elevation. I was wondering why the Haynes Manual didn't agree with the emissions sticker on the vehicle.

Is there an adjustment to stop the timing from advancing past 7"? I know about 1/8" allen adjustment, but I thought that just moved the initial operation of the distributor higher or lower.

The vacuum advance diaphragm is holding vacuum really well.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

The only adjustment is the diaphragm screw.
          As mentioned @ 7" the advance unit should be all done as in no more vacuum advance.
          If stock carb & power valve it should be adjusted to be done ~10".
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Uberchin
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 04, 2019

Search for threads talking about "Leaking vacuum" on the Charcoal Canister. You can remove yours and check if it still functions. If the diapham inside is broken, you will get a serious vacuum leak. Fix now is to by a canister made for an older chevy.

Comment

• rpcar123
              230 Tornado
              • Aug 11, 2019

It is a stock Motorcraft 2150 Carb with a new kit in it. I didn't see adjustment instructions for the power valve (it is a 2-stage). I'll do some searching on a procedure.

I checked that the charcoal canister is holding vacuum at the purge valve. Is there a different check for it?

Comment

• rpcar123
                230 Tornado
                • Aug 11, 2019

The only issue I found rebuilding the carb was a leaking power valve.

Babywag, which fuel-injection systems did you install on your GW's?

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 15, 2010

I re -read your post, recheck for a vacuum leak in the system, carb base gasket, cto, etc. Check your distributer base plate and make sure the springs are there and the shaft springs back when rotated.

Comment

• redwoody
                    232 I6
                    • May 16, 2010

temp switch for egr may allow vac to bypass. Test by unhooking vac to egr
                    88 GW hei E-fuel pump 360 rebuilt- rv cam

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 19, 2003

If you are still looking for a vac leak, be sure to look close at the phenolic spacer for cracks.

Comment

• rpcar123
                        230 Tornado
                        • Aug 11, 2019

Today is a day off so I've been working on the Wagoneer.

I do indeed have the "High altitude emission sticker" thanks babywag! I set the timing to 10 degrees and it seemed to help, but definitely didn't eliminate the surging. I put a vac pump on the vac advance canister and noticed the advance starts about 3 inHg and finishes at about 14 inHg. I also noticed the movement stutters. I pulled the vac advance canister off. The springs and linkages in the distributor feel smooth when I move it by hand. But, the canister feels like it has catch or bind (what's in there a diaphram and a spring). I tried to adjust the allen screw in the canister so that advance would be finished at 7 inHg, but the best I can do is about 10 inHg. I decided something is definitly wrong with the canister. After a bit (meaning a lot) of cleaning found that I have a Cardone 4891 distributor. I googled and Summit sell them, but not the canister. I called Cardone they gave me the part number for the remanufactured distributor 30-4891. WTF?

Comment

Working...
                        X