• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R Kriz
    232 I6
    • Feb 14, 2002

J-10 Exhaust sources ?????

Hey there. What do all you FSJ'ers out there do when you need an exhaust. I've been told that no aftermarket sources out there make exhaust and that I have to go to Midas/Meineke and get it custom bent. There's gotta be another way, not that this is bad I just prefer to have choices. Would appreciate any comments on exhaust sources.
    Thanks,
    Roger Kriz<br />[email protected]
  • Ralph
    Third Member
    • Apr 11, 2000

That is correct, sort of. If you're talking about OEM-type pipes, everything out to the catalytic converter is the same as a Wagoneer. But the pipe between the converter and the muffler has to be longer and has a slight S-bend in it. The tailpipe is also different than a Wag because the body behind the rear fender wells is longer: the J10 has two OEM tailpipe hanger mounts behind the axle.
    We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• UnkleMunky
      350 Buick
      • Oct 17, 2000

I'm only able to refer specifically to late '70s J10s with 258s for my purpose as that's mainly what I've checked on. I can get all the parts at Bumper/Napa, and Farm&Fleet. Farm and Fleet has the best price, but I'm thinking of going with a custom shop bent job anyway...runs about the same there, and I'd prefer dealing there.

I did check on an exhaust for an '80 J10 with 258 a few years ago when I was looking at one...needed ALL new exhaust. I believe I could get one pipe, but not the other, so was told I'd have to get custom bent. I didn't buy the truck, so didn't need to get it. But do recall some problems with that one.

I'm not so sure on others, but I wouldn't hesitate going custom bent as it can be done, and possibly for about same price range as just the parts(if you could find 'em). Still shop around for a good place, but don't worry much on it.
      Michael (UnkleMunky)
      '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
      '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
      Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• R Kriz
        232 I6
        • Feb 14, 2002

Thanks for the advise. I need to move on this and will begin to look into it ASAP,
        Roger Kriz<br />[email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X