• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melford1972
    232 I6
    • Jul 31, 2019

Weatherstripping masterkits

Hi all--
    My 1970 1414X project is underway. Need to update my build thread, but a few recent pics:

Does anyone have experience with the weatherstripping Masterkits that TGW and BJ's sell? (I've heard the TGW horror stories, but their kit IS less expensive...) Any pros/cons? What has everyone experienced with the thickness of the stripping? Thanks for any help/insight.
    1970 1414X Wagoneer
    5.3L LMG with Texas Speed Stage II cam
    4L60e, Dana 20
    Dana 44 (1978 Cherokee front and 2005 Rubicon rear) with 3.73s
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

Nice paint. I'm hoping to paint this winter and will also be in the market for one of those kits. The price does seem steep.
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Bought my kit from BJ's. Doors were hard to close at first, but are now fine. I purchased the preformed door gaskets. Also the kits don't come with everything. No rear door quarter glass gaskets or the rain shield door gaskets. Might have been one other thing, but maybe not.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• SOLSAKS
        304 AMC
        • Jul 25, 2016

if you want alternatives

call SOFFSEAL

E-MAIL: [email protected] PHONE: 1-800-426-0902

they actually make the kits for most vehicles.

dave in NC
        SOLSAKS - dave
        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
        1982 J-10 Fleetside
        1988 grand wagoneer
        2004 RUBICON jeep
        Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

your paint looks great! Where are you in CA?

I have been buying seals individually from BJs as I need them and have not had a problem with any of them.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Another X model!! Nice and you are doing it right. Beautiful paint. In my build thread "Another 70 wagoneer build" or what ever it is called. I detail the doors and show part numbers for the bulk stuff. Earlier I show rebuilding the glass channels and problems you will find with the wipes sold now. All these rubber parts are great. But they all require tons of fitting (kits included) when the part should snap or glue in in a semi timely manner. It will take some searching, but I can show how rolling up the window pushes the wipe right up and off the door. And carefully cutting a piece out so the wipe can stay put when you do that. Good enough parts drive me nuts...
            As soon as I am done with a 1 ton build M715 I am doing, I am not going to neglect my 69 X model any more... Your post is great.

BTW, I make door sill plates, headliners, tailgate panels, firewall pad sets, and I had the X model door panel patterns water jetted out for a press stamp. I have not made an X model set yet> but the base model wags door and rear panels I have. They turned out pretty nice. See the build thread for what I have made. And PM me later if you want.
            Melford1972 says...
            I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra
            2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
            Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• melford1972
              232 I6
              • Jul 31, 2019

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              your paint looks great! Where are you in CA?

I have been buying seals individually from BJs as I need them and have not had a problem with any of them.
              Rang, Thanks. Happy with how it's turning out. I'm in San Diego, but doing the build in Visalia, where I grew up. Interesting logistically, but I've got friends, family, and a good shop all helping me out.

Thanks for the feedback on the seals from BJs. Those guys have been really helpful with this truck and my 72, so gonna buy their kit. Pricey, but I only wanna build this thing once.
              1970 1414X Wagoneer
              4L60e, Dana 20

Comment

• melford1972
                232 I6
                • Jul 31, 2019

Originally posted by Rusty76
                Nice paint. I'm hoping to paint this winter and will also be in the market for one of those kits. The price does seem steep.
                Yep, price is STEEP. But based on feedback from here and the other FSJ site, think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the one from BJs.

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                Bought my kit from BJ's. Doors were hard to close at first, but are now fine. I purchased the preformed door gaskets. Also the kits don't come with everything. No rear door quarter glass gaskets or the rain shield door gaskets. Might have been one other thing, but maybe not.
                Thanks for the heads up. I've heard that the BJs door seals can be a PITA at first. Hopefully they'll break in for me too.
                1970 1414X Wagoneer
                4L60e, Dana 20

Comment

• iharding
                  230 Tornado
                  • Sep 18, 2020

Rain Seals

The rain seals on the door are tough. There is a molded piece with clips at the front of the door that I replaced with about 12 inches of

40-0490-99

filling in behind it with black RTV where the sheetmetal curves steeper than the seal can follow.

The rest (top and front of door window frame) is about 4 feet of

70-1111-73

From Steele Rubber Products.

I am thinking of getting three different part numbers and some wire clips and seeing if I can reproduce the curvy part at the front of the door with a glued up Frankenstein seal. They are not interested in reproducing it.

With these seals dried up, water was literally pouring off the windshield past them and into the door hinge openings, and flooding the carpet. I have plenty of other leaks but they drip, not pour.

Comment

Working...
                  X