• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bullywerks
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 17, 2018

1986 GW tailgate glass installation problems

I bought a new lift bar and side channels for my 86 Grand Wagoneer's tailgate glass. The kit comes with the roll of seal that holds the glass in place. But the stuff is so thin. The lift bar just slides on and does not grip or hold the glass. Is there something else to installing the bar on the glass that i'm missing ?
  • levelhead
    232 I6
    • Nov 04, 2016

I use auto glass urethane to install glass to channel
    1988 GW (2)
    1980 Cherokee Laredo
    1979 Wagoneer
    1976 J10 401
    1977 Wagoneer 401
    1977 J10 4 speed
    1969 J3000 (2)
    1955 CJ3B
    1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

That or the strip of rubber the vendors sell. You fold it over the edge an seat the channel with a hammer and block of wood.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• chubbinius
        258 I6
        • Oct 31, 2018

If I remember from other threads correctly, there are different thicknesses to the tailgate glass between older and newer ones. BJ's carries both older and newer style rubber tailgate window lifter seals. It's possible you have a thinner tailgate glass that needs the thicker seal. You can check them out here and always give BJ's a ring

Hope that helps!
        1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
        -Dauntless 350 V8
        -D27 front/D44 rear
        2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by chubbinius
          If I remember from other threads correctly, there are different thicknesses to the tailgate glass between older and newer ones. BJ's carries both older and newer style rubber tailgate window lifter seals. It's possible you have a thinner tailgate glass that needs the thicker seal. You can check them out here and always give BJ's a ring

Hope that helps!
          Correct! 79 was the change over year. <79 was thick, >79 was thin. Here are the differences in side windows. The differences in the rubber was only in the gasket thingey that goes into the lift bar. The scrapers and channels are all the same, I think.

The lower, thicker window is from a 78 Cherokee and the upper thinner window is from my 79. Both are driver side door windows. My understanding is all windows (except 2 door Cherokee rear side windows) got thinner in 79.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
          X