International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General FSJ Discussion (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I drove my new J10 for 50 miles (long post) (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=79766)

JeepBountyHunter 04-11-2008 04:15 PM

Great news! Sounds like the ordeal is getting some closure...

Stuka 04-11-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The PIG Smith

I still have my '93 GMC 3500 Diesel van that I could use it's 6.2L Diesel and it's 14bolt rear axle.
It is my understanding that a GM Van axle is a near bolt in for our FSJ.

So, if I start messing with suspension lift kits, maybe I would swap the rear axle and springs for my 14bolt and new springs.
Same with the front, swap the Dana44 for a D44HD and new springs.

Hmmmm...lots to think about....glad I am dreamer!

It is a near bolt in, but its also much wider than the stock rear axle (67" vs ~70"). Which means you need to find a wider front axle. As the stock front axle is already narrower than the stock rear.

The PIG Smith 04-17-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuka
It is a near bolt in, but its also much wider than the stock rear axle (67" vs ~70"). Which means you need to find a wider front axle. As the stock front axle is already narrower than the stock rear.

Thank you for this tip.
As my 14bolt has 4:10 gears and now I learn is too wide, I think I will stick with my M23/D44 for foreseeable future.

The PIG Smith 04-17-2008 06:56 AM

My uncle called to let me know that the sheet metal work on my J10 will be done this week.
The brakes still needs some work.
The front brake line needs replaced and possibly the rear wheel cylinders/complete rear brake job.

Unfortunately, he told me that the passenger side front spring has its top leaf broke.
While I would like to just live it with for a while, I was told it needs to be replaced.
I have a couple of folks looking for a set of #6200 front springs for my J10.

I may end up going with Waggie springs for now, just to get it repaired and road worthy.
A lift kit would also solve this problem.
A 4" lift kit is what I am asking Santa to leave under my Christmas tree! HAHAHA

HARDCORE pacer 04-17-2008 09:58 AM

I had springs made for my rig and was told by the spring manufacturer that all the fsjs had the same front springs except early waggies. When I got home I went looking through all the wrecks here and they all had the same 4 leaf pack in the front and that is j-20s j-10s waggies and cheros. I think you could use the main leaf out of a waggie pack and not know the difference when you are done and not have to do anything regarding lifts and the such.

The PIG Smith 04-17-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HARDCORE pacer
I had springs made for my rig and was told by the spring manufacturer that all the fsjs had the same front springs except early waggies. When I got home I went looking through all the wrecks here and they all had the same 4 leaf pack in the front and that is j-20s j-10s waggies and cheros. I think you could use the main leaf out of a waggie pack and not know the difference when you are done and not have to do anything regarding lifts and the such.

I've been told several different things and I dunno what to think.
Yes, they all have 4 leafs, but have been told some springs are rated different than others.
Like a SWB, I6 powered J10 will have lighter springs rates than a LWB, V8 powered J10.
Looking at the GVWR for J10s and Wagoneers in our Tech Library, the ratings are very close.
I know my #7600 rated J20 rear springs do not hardly ever flex...and I've towed some monster loads.
I would hate to think about the #8400 springs! :eek:
But, are the front J20 springs different than J10/Wagoneer? I dunno.

JeepBountyHunter 04-17-2008 12:00 PM

Bryan, I would take a crack at using a leaf from a Waggy pack and adding a leaf to replace the bad one...better yet, do the same for each side of your rig...should be fine.