International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General FSJ Discussion (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I drove my new J10 for 50 miles (long post) (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=79766)

fulsizjeep 12-30-2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The PIG Smith

There should be a No Right Turn sign at the beginning of the picture on the right. :D She is very lucky she did not hit just a little further down where the sturdier rail begins. She got some crumple zone outa the one she nailed. ;)

DieselSJ 12-30-2007 11:07 AM

As others have said, we are glad that you are OK.

Stuka 12-30-2007 12:58 PM

I 'tapped' a civic a few years back and the same thing happened to the passenger side shackle on my J10. Only for me it basically lifted that side of the truck up, it didnt move back at all. When I righted the shackle, the spring was bent a little. Although I drove it for another year with the spring making the passenger side a little taller than the driver side.

With your axle being back so far, you better check and make sure the axle pin didnt sheer, and that the rear spring mount didnt crack.

ComancheRob 12-30-2007 04:59 PM

its fixable, be glad you weren't the other way around in this equation, 'cause alot of times, bodies arent that fixable.

and x2 on the bumper sticker suggestion :D

The PIG Smith 12-30-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janie
Bryan, I've got an extra pignose here if you need it.

Hmmmmm...I need to think about this.
Snap a few pics of it please.

At first, I thought a pignosed grill looked sorta/kinda silly.
The original muscle grill and shell were included with the sale, so I have them if I choose to use them.
But, the pignose grill sorta grew on me, the short I've owned it.
Sadly, this pignose grill and the pignose grill I had on an '82 Wagoneer Limited, were in shape (plastic not broke)
but the chrome plating was cracked and looked as if was starting to peal in a some spots.

Mahamotorworks 12-30-2007 10:37 PM

About the spring moving. The shackle is 3 or 4 inches long. Your spring moved back 3 of 4 inches. If you axle is twistwed weird then you probabaly just have a bent spring and will have to replace it. With out looking at it or having more photos to look at I really cant tell what happened. Either way good luck with the repairs on it keep us posted.

MAHA

Millerluck 12-31-2007 12:29 PM

Wow Bryan, glad everyone is ok.

I thought I was the only one that has that kind of luck.:banghead:

If you want my hood off my 88 you can have it. It has some dents but its solid.

Larry

Jayrodoh 12-31-2007 12:48 PM

Man Bryan, if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck it seems! Glad nobody was hurt. Hopefully you can pop the shackle to fix the axle, don't know how it could move back though without bending the spring at the rear though. Should be able to find a stock spring easily.

I've got a good front bumper and a valance you can have if you need. Let me know and we'll figure out shipping or something. Coming back to the zoo anytime soon?

Carl Rasmussen 12-31-2007 01:11 PM

I think you Spring is fine. That happens to My J10 all of the time when I 4 wheel it. I just Jack it up and with a tire Iron pop the sring back down.

FYI they drive like crap when they are like that. if you were closer I would offer you a hood.

jeepdad56 12-31-2007 10:04 PM

Glad nobody was hurt. Is it me or everytime we get in a Jtruck it's an adventure??:eek: :eek: Better the Jtruck than the Kia hitting it....
In an hour it will be last years headache...HNY!!

The PIG Smith 01-11-2008 04:34 PM

Update

My father and I dollied my J10 back to my parents and that is where it is stored for now.

The adjuster came at looked at my truck on Monday.
He told Dad that he had never seen a Jeep J10 pickup before.
So, I wonder to myself, how can he actually write a report about the damage if has never seen a J10 before?

He told Dad that he thought the radiator might be busted.
But of course, I already knew the rad was not hurt.
The Radiator Core Support was only hurt behind the passenger side headlight, nowhere else.
The adjuster crawled underneath and was telling Dad about these plastic radiators and accidents...then he stopped...
"Oh, this thing has an all metal radiator...looks fine, no damage."
When Dad told me this, I just about busted a gut.

He did tell Dad that he was just an adjuster to write a report and does not make a decision in anyway.
But he was 99% sure that my truck would be declared totaled, not due to the damage, but because of its age.
This I was expecting.

Today, the Insurance Company told me there was $4784.24 worth of damage to my J10.
A decision on a settlement is yet to come.

Kali 01-11-2008 04:36 PM

WOW. What are the odds you will get the full amount? That would be sweet :) GL

jpjeeper 01-11-2008 04:56 PM

Hmm... for that price you could by a few more and make one amazing truck.

The PIG Smith 01-11-2008 05:04 PM

LOL!
I do not except to receive the entire amount!

Gambler68 01-11-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The PIG Smith
LOL!
I do not except to receive the entire amount!

Now is when you start faxing them printed copies of Wagonmasters and Grand Wagoneers websites and their 20-70k asking prices :D

They're RARE!!!

Good luck and hope it works out.

dusty 01-11-2008 05:41 PM

Like and kind law served me well in CA and in montana, check with the local car clubs they maybe able to help you get it replaced. when my barracuda got hit by a drunk and the insurance adjuster offered me a check for $3500, i laughed as asked him to find me a like and kind replacement int he next 3-4 weeks, if not my professional auto assesor who had assesed my vehicle 12 months earlier for insurance purposes would be glad to forward him a copy of my file......i handed the adjuster a copy of hemmings and informed him that an original 383 4spd with a sure grip rear car now sporting a 440 and factory AC was going to cost me more than $3500 to replace. 6 months later and a letter or two to the state insurance commisioner and thier tune changed :thumbsup: . my car got repaired i jsut had to be patient:eek: that was 10 years ago and more recently i battled them on a cj7 of mine

Whatever you do DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PAYMENT UNTILL you are satisfied with the quality of the repair or the amount of the compensation. they usually will have a contract in small print on the check that states by cashing this check you are accepting this as compensation in full for your repair and that they have fulfilled thier obligation.

Good luck

The PIG Smith 04-10-2008 10:18 AM

April 10, 2008 - Status Update

It's been some time since I posted the status of "50 Miler", my J10 that did not make it more that 50 miles.

The other driver's Insurance Company did settle up with us a couple of weeks ago.
I got a check for a little more than $2100 and was able to keep my truck and its clean title.

Earlier in the year, I purchased a entire front clip and doors off of '79 Golden Eagle Cherokee from RockJeep44.
While I had paid for the parts, I had not picked them up.
I was sorta struggling with the means (gas $$$) and a time that good for the both of us for me to collect these parts.

My wild and crazy uncle went to Florida for a spring vacation with some other family members.
While he does not have any time constraints, he agreed to stop by on his way home and picked up these parts.
As I was not there, I do not have any pics to share.

My uncle lives close to my parents and this is where my J10 has been stored.
My uncle took the replacement clip and my J10 to friend of his that runs a small part time body shop,
to have the sheet metal hung and get it road worthy again.
His friend does good body work, but does not paint (somehow he has painted for so long, the paint flumes now bothers him)
The big thing for now is that this fellow does good work a low (or maybe no) cost.

So, soon, I will have a good running J10 truck with mismatched colored panels.
While it would have been nice to have the inner fenders, radiator core support, firewall, etc...to be painted now, while its apart,
a good paint job is something that I will just to wait to have done later.

I hope you FSJ enthusiasts with your gas sucking rigs have left enough fuel at the pumps for me to fill this beast up,
so I can drive from WV back to Indiana! WOOHOOOO!!

I'll post updates as they happen.

The PIG Smith 04-10-2008 12:31 PM

My uncle called to tell me that while my J10 was up on the rollback, they 'popped' the front axle back in place.
While this is good news, the not so good news is the top spring on the passenger side is broke.
While he mentioned that it probably would not be an issue for now, that the springs will need to be replaced.

Now, I need to decide if I should use Waggie Spring on my #6200 rated J10, seek out J10 springs or go with a small lift kit.

Oh well...need to get the truck repaired first, get it home, then decide what to do.

I still have my '93 GMC 3500 Diesel van that I could use it's 6.2L Diesel and it's 14bolt rear axle.
It is my understanding that a GM Van axle is a near bolt in for our FSJ.

So, if I start messing with suspension lift kits, maybe I would swap the rear axle and springs for my 14bolt and new springs.
Same with the front, swap the Dana44 for a D44HD and new springs.

Hmmmm...lots to think about....glad I am dreamer!

COLOFIREMAN 04-10-2008 01:18 PM

Now that my eye's have stopped hurting from reading the long post I'm glad your ok !:D

HOOT 04-10-2008 05:21 PM

You need to swing by my place on your way back home with it. Take a break from the road. Keep me posted on your travels.