• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fire_dragon61
    232 I6
    • Mar 10, 2002

an odd ball idea

has anyone thought of and tried to make a six wheel drive jeep out of a pickup? iam thinking about doing this on a future project after the one iam working on is done.
  • Don S
    • Feb 06, 2002

COOL FIRE_DRAGON...I haven't seen it in an FSJ yet. I hope you do it. I've got a photo of a VERY unusal one in Silverton Co. I can't post it but would e-mail it if you like..... ...ds..
    Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
    It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
    ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• jeepbob
      Jeep Idiot
      • Jan 16, 2001

Dodge did it with the T-Rex concept truck a few years back, real cool.
      65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• Gwamp
        High Tech Redneck
        • Mar 08, 2002

Hey don, would you e-mail me that pic? I always like the oddball stuff
        Roll up on you like Eastwood...

Comment

• fire_dragon61
          232 I6
          • Mar 10, 2002

please do send the pic please. that where i got the idea from was the dodge t-rex since they did not put it into production would have liked one. thought i could get a axle set up off of a old military duece and a half or five ton.

Comment

• Shake
            232 I6
            • Dec 01, 2001

its been done a few times, sometimes even without special axles! Never seen one done to a fsj, but fourwheeler and others have shown multiple versions, there was a (i think) m151, cheby, an old cj (i think)

To do it without the axles with 2 pinions, the usual M.O. is to take a divorced tcase, slap it in behind the main tcase, w/ the main tcase driving the front output, leaving you with 2 outputs pointing back, then you run an offset and a centered rear axle, and pray you dont smack your driveshafts

Andy

Comment

I can see a lot of advantages as well as disadvantages with that setup. Articulation would be key to the success of the two driveaxles. I drive truck and have hung the forward axle in the air by dropping off a high curb or other uneven ground. then with the rear axle in mud or snow usualy end up needing a pull. Another disadvantage is more axles to the ground the less the PSI, to much weight distributed onto more axles = less traction. This was proven in Semi trucks I drove in the Mountains. We had several test trucks that were tandem axle but only one axle was live. When we would go through the mountains or ice covered roads the tag axle was lifted thus leaving only the drive axle of the tractor on the ground. The differance between this system and the conventional tandem axle with Diff locks was night and day. I begged to keep the test truck, I never had to chain up as often as I did with the live tandems. I doubt I would ever mod a FSJ to a 6 X 6 but it sure does look cool. Here is a nice pic of it.
              6 X 6 .........YUCK....... A DODGE!!!!!!!!!!
              Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
              Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• fire_dragon61
                232 I6
                • Mar 10, 2002

hmmmm never had a problem getting stuck when i was in the military driving duece and a halfs and five tons. of course i didnt get my tank stuck either!! lol thats why i thought that system would work the best.

Comment

I beleive the military duece and a halfs and five tons utilized a walking beam system under the single spring. I have Driven semi's with the walking beam system it fairs a lot better than the air ride or the Hendrickson Spring suspension. Not to say that the Dodge T-Rex concept truck has any problem with the axles articulating, however it should be a concern. Still the fact remains more tire on the road less the traction. Ever notice how a Dual wheel pickup is about as usless as all get out compared to a single wheel, and with out weight in it, YIKES
                  Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                  Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• porchpiggy
                    350 Buick
                    • May 13, 2001

I remember seeing a 6x6 CJ8 in one of the Peterson mags about four years ago. I don't know if a search on one of their sites could get anything. funny thing, if I remember right, the back diffs each had their own shaft coming from the t case.
                    Porchpiggy<br />\"To old and slow to run with the Bigpiggys\"<br />88 GW and 79 Suburban<br />GARY IS THE KING OF GENERAL D.

Comment

• oldyellowwagoneer
                      350 Buick
                      • Jun 27, 2001

here ya go look in members rides kevin cooper is the owner. This thing really wheels at sand lake, Moab, and all over the tillamook forrest up here in oregon. very nice group of guys they even let fsj's on their trail runs as well as be members. jolly jeepers home page DENNIS
                      ?Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your *** off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.? Henry Rollins

Comment

• fire_dragon61
                        232 I6
                        • Mar 10, 2002

cool cj,s but i would like to try it with a fsj.

Comment

• Sgt. Dave
                          258 I6
                          • Nov 05, 2001

You might steal some ideas from this

The running gear on it looks good, i've looked at it in person.
                          \"If you don\'t have time to do it right, you sure don\'t have time to do it twice\"

Comment

• fire_dragon61
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 10, 2002

looks like it has alot of flexability over rough terrain has posibilities. but first i have to finish one project before i start another. i have two going on now lol dont think i can handle a third no room in the garage!!

Comment

Working...
                            X