International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General FSJ Discussion (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   If you can't find shiney stuff then make your own (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=67908)

Chrome 04-19-2007 09:26 PM

If you can't find shiney stuff then make your own

Searched everywhere trying to find a Chrome waterneck but came up empty. So I started thinking (I know..I know...dangerous) if I can polish a whole aluminum intake then why not polish a aluminum waterneck. A few hours with a Dremel along with a little wet/dry sand paper and presto!

AlsChopShop 04-19-2007 09:29 PM

you polished an entire aluminum intake??? :eek: sounds like you need to find a day job! ;)

nice work though! :thumbsup:

Al

J10Mike 04-19-2007 09:33 PM

Looks good Scott. You polished that Edelbrock intake? Can you send me a pic of it?

Tripwire 04-19-2007 09:39 PM

how are ya keeping the Aluminium from reverting back to its grey color? show us a pic of your engine:)

Tripwire

Chrome 04-19-2007 09:40 PM

It took about a week of working in the afternoons to get it polished out. One of the things I love about Wal-Mart is when you smoke a Dremel you just take it back and they give you another no questions asked. Total count was 3 Dremels completely toasted along with several assorted bits.

chrisnsarah 04-19-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripwire
how are ya keeping the Aluminium from reverting back to its grey color? show us a pic of your engine:)

Tripwire

I've heard of people using a clear powdercoat over polished surfaces.

Chrome 04-19-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisnsarah
I've heard of people using a clear powdercoat over polished surfaces.

I use the old school Karate Kid method....polish on....polish off.:D

gsmikie 04-19-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chrome-a-nator
I use the old school Karate Kid method....polish on....polish off.:D

come on out here and work your magic on my camp trailer

mark j 04-20-2007 02:39 AM

There was a group that listed a CNC'd aluminum water inlet for amc's a while back for $100. They still list other products- I'm going to call and see if they can still produce the amc. I polished the timing cover for my 401 much like you did you intake. From now on I think I'll buy them that way. It is a lot of work!

OBX-AUTOMOTIVE 04-20-2007 04:00 AM

ME THINKS ME SEE A SPECK OF DIRT IN THE UPPER RT HAND CORNER OF YOUR ENGINE PIC! :p :p :) ............OH! THINK STAINLESS!!

chakaD460 04-20-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripwire

Tripwire

You can use clearcoat. Autozone sells spray cans of it.

Crazy_Jeepman 04-20-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakaD460
You can use clearcoat. Autozone sells spray cans of it.

Turns it dull after it dries, and as time goes it turns a yellowish scaley mess.

Chrome 04-20-2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Jeepman
Turns it dull after it dries, and as time goes it turns a yellowish scaley mess.

That's why I polished my intake. When I orginally built the motor in the Wag a friend told me to clearcoat the intake and it would stay shiney so I thought what the heck. After less than 200 miles it had turned the yellowish color and looked like crap. The motor begin to come apart at 400 miles due to a bad crankshaft so I had to tear it back down and while it was down I tried everything to get the clearcoat off but no luck. Finally came down to either sanding it off or buying another intake. After spending 4 hours with a pack of sand paper I knew there had to be a better way. Thank God for Dremels.

grand_wag_85 04-20-2007 06:20 AM

So how do you keep the intake shiny w/o having to go back and shine it up?

Chrome 04-20-2007 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grand_wag_85

When I clean the motor I use a towel to dry off all the Chrome and aluminum pieces. It sounds like a lot of trouble but only takes a few minutes to do and keeps water spots to a minimum. Once the aluminum is polished smooth it will keep a good shine for a long time unless you use some type of acid on it when you clean it. It's the same thing with the aluminum tanks you see on 18 wheelers as long as you take care of them they will keep a good shine without a lot of polishing. The best thing I've found is Turtle Wax car wash soap. It has no harsh detergents and also has a mild wax mixed in to boot. It's good for the painted and shiney surfaces.

Crazy_Jeepman 04-20-2007 06:31 AM

Quote:

You don't :whistle:

grand_wag_85 04-20-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

You don't :whistle:

Psssh...:p

chrisnsarah 04-20-2007 09:36 AM

Wonder how long it will take to do my 50's camp trailer?:D

CustomWag 04-20-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chrome-a-nator

WOW!!!!

billyrb 04-20-2007 10:42 AM

There are several products on the market that seal polished aluminum (no, not clear coats) and they don't turn them yellow. They cost more than the cheap alternatives, but they last a long time.

AMX factor 04-20-2007 02:39 PM

After polishing you can clear powdercoat to hold the shine.

Chrome waternecks for AMC - Oldsmobile is the virtually the same as an AMC. You have to grind the inside of one of the bolt holes to shift the bolt about 1/4".

chakaD460 04-20-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Bummer. :( Sorry for the bad advice.

waggy401 04-20-2007 03:54 PM

Man, I'm jealous - except I'm not willing to put in that kind of work right now. That's a nice looking engine. :thumbsup:

gsmikie 04-20-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

dont drive it :rolleyes:

back2spool 04-20-2007 05:24 PM

Just a thought...

My brother is a big MX-rider, he is always spraying his bike motors with wd-40. He goes out in the dirt, comes back and hoses 'em off and they look brand new.

Maybe periodic coats of wd-40 will keep it clean?