Patriot header install, ongoing debacle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Probesport
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2015

Patriot header install, ongoing debacle.

I have had an exhaust leak since I picked up my JGW and after fuel injecting it seemed to only get worse. Since I have (had) air injection manifolds I decided to go the header route, and furthermore I wanted shorties. The Patriots completely fit the bill for me - cheap but well made, simple design and basically a bolt-on. The sound shouldn't be that bad as I've got a giant muffler and a cat as well so all-in-all I'm hoping it doesn't sway too far into muscle car blop-blop-blop territory.

Since the exhaust manifolds are crowded in there at the rear at least, I've decided that clearing a path was my best bet which is where the debacle presents itself. I am the debacle. Here is how it went down nearly every step of the way "well since I am removing 'x', I might as well clean/fix it" That process kept repeating itself until I had sanded down my fenders, removed the bulk of my wiring harness, and am planning on new brake lines.

That all said, on with the show.

Prepping for removal (before)

Fancy little headers

Removing stuff

Set in place

The heatbox had some damage, so that has to be addressed

On the passenger side as I was clearing room to work I was dealing with nasty old hardware, self tapping screws and wiring that should be cleaned up. I used rivnuts to replaced some of the punched hols in the sheet metal.

And since it looks all sorts of gross, a little bit of paint was necessary

Cleaned up

Right side now, same game.

Redoing the right side of the harness.

Right header bolted up.

That's where it stands today. I will finalize up the right side over the next few days and then go back to the left. Always good time.
    Ken S.
    Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Megasquirt EFI
    : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
    Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

Nice clean work! I dig that you're taking the time for the "while I'm there..." items that most of us (or I, anyway) don't.
    Gotta say, I took the plunge and bought an MS2 system + 7.4L TBI unit in large part inspired by your rig. Have to run wires, fuel & finish putting accessories back in front of the motor but it's getting along.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

What are your plans for exhaust? New y-pipe or just modifying old one?
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Probesport
        232 I6
        • Apr 15, 2015

Originally posted by yossarian19
        Nice clean work! I dig that you're taking the time for the "while I'm there..." items that most of us (or I, anyway) don't.
        Gotta say, I took the plunge and bought an MS2 system + 7.4L TBI unit in large part inspired by your rig. Have to run wires, fuel & finish putting accessories back in front of the motor but it's getting along.
        Thanks for the kind words, make sure you have a thread that I can follow along and help where I can!

Originally posted by babywag
        What are your plans for exhaust? New y-pipe or just modifying old one?
        I'm just going to modify the Y that I have as I replaced it when I redid my exhaust last year. it's just the left side that doesn't line up and i'll just have to make a little jog over to it. I may put another O2 bung in there for future work since I only have one in the right at the moment.
        Ken S.
        Megasquirt EFI
        : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
        Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• Probesport
          232 I6
          • Apr 15, 2015

I wrapped everything up this past weekend. The time spent from my last post was mostly cleaning and fixing things along the way. The easiest part of the whole ordeal was the Y-pipe, the right header install being the most difficult.

Y-pipe modifications

The left side was definitely hosting the bulk of my exhaust leaks

I had to repair the dipstick tube, which has been broke/cracked for who knows how long.

Then I had to make a new battery hold down, the one on there was plastic and didn't survive me.

I kept the heat riser as a spacer, since I had already gutted it and wanted to make the smallest modifications possible to the Y-pipe. I didn't have hardware for that so I made a stud and chopped down a longer bolt for the other side.

I also got tired of fiddling (and bleeding) with the blend door clip on the core box so I used a door actuator rod clamp, slightly modified instead.

I also repainted the left fender again since I scratched the hell out of it with my eagerness/impatientivity .

The left side, completely done.

I replaced the screw on the charcoal canister with a rivnut and a cap screw

Putting the right side back together

And finally complete. It sounds great, no muscle car tones or obnoxiousness. I couldn't be happier.

Ken S.
          Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• levelhead
            232 I6
            • Nov 04, 2016

Nice job with good pics ....defiantly will help those doing similar work.
            Keep us updated on your project.
            1988 GW (2)
            1980 Cherokee Laredo
            1979 Wagoneer
            1976 J10 401
            1977 Wagoneer 401
            1977 J10 4 speed
            1969 J3000 (2)
            1955 CJ3B
            1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• Nikkormat
              232 I6
              • Jan 03, 2015

Whats hiding beneath the batwing aircleaner? I wanted to run one but wasn't sure if it would fit.

Comment

• Probesport
                232 I6
                • Apr 15, 2015

Well under mine is a TBI, but you can clear it on anything, just depends of how much of a drop base you run and filter height.

Here is an older pic with air cleaner off.

I did it to conceal my fuel injection a bit more, not to mention that I had one hanging on the wall not being used from a previous car.
                Ken S.
                Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 15, 2015

I torqued everything again today, for a factory coating this ceramic is quite good - comparable to our local coater which is saying a lot. No discoloration or flaking.

Its been given some abuse from local potholes, dirt roads and 90 degree outdoor temps. Overall, very happy with this setup and would do it again.
                  Ken S.
                  Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• yossarian19
                    258 I6
                    • Nov 13, 2016

Any regrets not using long tubes?
                    Has the noise or heat under hood increased noticeably?

Comment

• Probesport
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 15, 2015

No regrets not using long tubes, I've heard many long tubes on AMC motors over the years and despise the muscle car / docking boat sound.

Since I had leaky gaskets on old stock logs my noise actually went down considerably. You can't tell there is anything other than a stock exhaust unless you really get on it. I compare it to a newer truck as far as volume and sound goes. No in cabin drone and no bad notes from the drivers seat.

Thermal camera shows hotter Temps at the header surface as expected, but no ambient chabge

I wouldnt change a thing.
                      Ken S.
                      Megasquirt EFI

Comment

Working...
                      X