• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forrest the FSJ
    232 I6
    • Feb 14, 2013

Another gas tank thread...

Hey guys!
    So, I read several threads on gas tank mods/auxiliary tanks and found them all helpful, but still have some questions, as I am going a bit of a different route.

I bought a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer back in September 2012. It has the original soft plastic bladder tank in the coffin-shaped metal "skid plate". The Jeep sat in a field for a long time, but is in pretty good shape - I drove it home
    There is a hole in the skid plate where a previous owner put a stump through it (he also crimped the fuel and brake lines in the process). I need to drop the tank to replace the crimped fuel and brake lines. While I'm at it, the plan is to replace the tank and potentially the sending unit while I'm at it. I don't necessarily trust them, and they were sitting in ethanol for <5 years untouched.

Here is what I want to do:
    I want to put a +- 20 gallon tank back where the old one was. The only after market tanks I'm finding for 1990 JGWs are 15 gallons, which is pitiful in a vehicle that gets this kind of mileage. Now, since the fuel pump is mechanical and sits on the side of the engine, and the engine is carbureted, not fuel injected, so there are no baffles in the tank, all I need is a 20 gallon container that will fit in the space with a sending unit that will work. I'm currently looking at the plastic 21 gallon coffin shaped gas tanks from MTS that fit in 70s Wagoneers: http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm

Do you think this would work?

The plan would be to fabricate a skid plate for it.

Also, I want to use this vehicle for overlanding - 4" BJs spring lift with 31"s - so I want good fuel capacity. Here is what I am thinking for that:
    Get rid of the under the vehicle spare carrier, and mount an auxiliary tank there. I'm thinking of going this route: http://www.aerotanks.com/inventory/1924.html

What is the easiest way to run an auxiliary tank? What are my options? I can think of several, but am curious what you guys have come up with.

I can't think of any way to do it with just a mechanical fuel pump, which is a bummer, because I really prefer them :/
    Last edited by Forrest the FSJ; 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM.
  • Mr. Goatman
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 05, 2006

It looks like there might be one to fit the side where the stock one goes. There are switch valves but I believe they would require electric pumps.
    Last edited by Mr. Goatman; 02-15-2013, 07:21 PM.
    Remember; When it comes to tools and toys forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission!

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

You do know that the OEM tank is not a soft bladder, but it actually a hard plastic tank, yes?

The "bladder" that you might be seeing is a rubber liner that sets inbetween the tank and the skid plate.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

On my '83 Cherokee I test fit an XJ fuel tank under where the spare goes.
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Forrest the FSJ
          232 I6
          • Feb 14, 2013

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
          You do know that the OEM tank is not a soft bladder, but it actually a hard plastic tank, yes?

The "bladder" that you might be seeing is a rubber liner that sets in between the tank and the skid plate.
          I actually did not, just made some assumptions based on what I can feel through the hole in the skid plate. It feels pretty floppy, but I'll take your word for it.

Goatman, thanks for the heads up. I really would prefer to keep the mechanical pump, but I'll call Aero for sure and talk with them about it.

Those of you with '70's era Wagoneers, where does the tank go? I'm assuming in the same place as my '90. From what I can see, they look about the same. Anybody ever tried putting a '70s era tank in a '90's era Wagoneer?

Comment

• Mr. Goatman
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 05, 2006

The 70s tanks are in the same place and are similar, but different. The skid is also different.
            Remember; When it comes to tools and toys forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission!

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by Forrest the FSJ
              I actually did not, just made some assumptions based on what I can feel through the hole in the skid plate. It feels pretty floppy, but I'll take your word for it.
              Don't worry. I thought the same thing when I got my first FSJ. Since water also was sloshing around on top of it, when I pushed on it, I heard it slosh around and thought that that flimsy material was all that was holding my gasoline in!
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Brizio
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Apr 11, 2008

On my 1991 I have a aux tank from aerotanks, the previous owner install it. It works pretty good.
                brizios.com
                Small Scale Jeeps
                Brizios

Comment

• budojeepr
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 02, 2006

Did you see my 72 body swap thread? I put a 40-gal Chevy tank in the back. There's a link in there, I think I paid $92 for a brand-new tank.
                  Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• newtojeeps
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 28, 2006

The 70's era jeeps were metal pinch seam type. w/ 3/16" thick skid plate. there is a small difference as the transfer case came over to the other side at that time. passenger drop. I read on one of the threads that the older spare placed tanks on the Bronco would fit in the spare tire location. I have never owned one of the Chrysler Wagoneer with the 5.9 mitsubishi starter thing in them.

Comment

• Forrest the FSJ
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 14, 2013

So, do you think the 70s tanks would fit? I'm assuming the 70s Jeeps use a mechanical fuel pump, too, but the replacement tanks I have seen for 70s era Jeeps (like this one from MTS: http://www.mtscompany.com/images/jeep/0020_v1.jpg) have two large holes in the top in addition to the holes for the fuel lines and filler hose. One of those, I assume, is obviously for the sending unit, but what is the other one for? The only thing I can think of is a fuel pump, and I don't know why anyone would prefer an electric fuel pump to a mechanical one. If that is what it is for, do you think it could be patched effectively if one was going to use an external mechanical pump?

Comment

• Mr. Goatman
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 05, 2006

I'm not sure why you would want to swap in an older tank. You would need to obtain or fab a different skid for it and the fuel sender will not work with your gauge. I see the PO put a hole in the skid but I was not sure if that included the tank also. If the tank is good use it. Pull the tank, hammer out the dents, weld patch plates on, and replace. As for a second tank, some have installed one with an electric pump as a transfer pump. Then they use it to fill the stock tank which runs on the manual pump you want to keep. This way there are no extra valves. I'm not sure about safety.. maybe someone else will chime in.
                        Last edited by Mr. Goatman; 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Forrest the FSJ
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 14, 2013

Yeah, not an actual older tank, just an older style tank - the new production Wagoneer tanks that i'm finding for late 80s-early 90s are all 15 gallons or smaller than the original factory tank, whereas it is pretty easy to find new production tanks for the 70s Wagoneers in the 20-21 gallon range.

I think I'm going to go with Aero - it will be a little more expensive, but they come with EVERYTHING I will need, and are good quality. I just got off the phone with them, and for future reference:

Part # 1923A is a 33 Gal front Replacement tank kit for a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
                          Part # 1924 is a 29 Gal Rear mount Auxiliary tank kit.

Comment

• billyrb
                            BJ's Off-Road
                            • Aug 15, 2001

Originally posted by Mr. Goatman
                            http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/jeep.html
                            It looks like there might be one to fit the side where the stock one goes. There are switch valves but I believe they would require electric pumps.
                            I wouldn't put those in my Jeep. The thin metal is very easy to puncture on a rock / stump, etc. The quality is junk, the mounts are incorrect, and they are flimsy, which is why we don't carry them.
                            BJ's Off-Road
                            [email protected]
                            Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Forrest the FSJ
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 14, 2013

Hmmmm, can you recommend something to use instead? It is by far the most convenient option I have right now...
                              Also, can I ask how much experience you have had with them? Are there any threads that you have seen on here were members have had issues?
                              Last edited by Forrest the FSJ; 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X