• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Tech-Installing rear discs on early Jeep Full Float D60

starting a thread for Tech Archives. I've searched all over the web and never seen a complete write up, so here we go.

The Victim: A 1972-74 narrow drum (staked) Jeep (which really is a dodge) Dana 60 8 lug Full Floater

The Supplies: Jeep D60 Rear Disc Kit from GubNI at NC4x4 forum, Pirate4x4 too I think. His is the least expensive kit, which includes 2 rotors (made in china, but look nicely machined), 2 rebuilt calipers, Brake Best pads, 2 brackets (decent machining but not perfect) bolts, 2 spacers, brakehoses. This application was 315 shipped, and they came very quickly via FedEx. So far, so good.

basic handtools, propane torch, Pb Blast, big block of wood.

The Attack:

First remove your axle shafts. Unbolt and slide out:

I used a 4" cutoff wheel and removed the Drum portion. Very easy and made the rest easier to do.

Soak the lugs and the inner face of the hub to the plate with PB Blast. I heated up the area first with a blue bottle first. Place on thick but soft block of wood and start tapping, alternating sides. When the hub face separates from the backing plate, slide a wedge in there. It doesn't take long to separate them.

Here you go. I'll be buying new lugs. Repeat on the other side.

I'll be updating this as I go.
    Last edited by Gambler68; 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

• scantar
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 16, 2005

Shweet!
    '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

Hubs do not clear bolt heads for bracket and spacer to axle flange. With the nuts on the inside of the axle flange, they in NO way come close to fitting flush with the flange, because of the tube. Will require either grinding out a notch for each nut on the flange/tube weld/seam, or slicing off a good thickness of one nut face. Not sure if the spacer is an optional item, will try without it (it's maybe 1/8th in. thick steel).

One side's grade 8 bolts need to be replaced due to thread damage from having to use the bolts to make the bracket suck on..holes were mis-aligned enough the make this rather un-fun.
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Managed to get other side on barely easier with the spacer, and the bolt heads on the hub side. Hub *almost* clears the bolt heads with the spacer on. Haven't tried with spacer off. Nuts would still requre shaving, or will have to notch into the flange neckdown a bit.

This would all be minor stuff if oh, I had a milling machine or a big drill press to address the minor layout problems, but for a joe with handtools..

I guess I'll have to put the discs on the shafts, re-install with the spacer on and grind some for the hub to seat, to see if the spacer is required for the calipers to line up with the disc, or if its there for the bolts to clear the hub or not.

The other possible idea would be to use the original bolts that held the backing plate on, but I don't think they are long enough...dunno, done for today. I know that much
        Last edited by Gambler68; 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• RTFM
          258 I6
          • Sep 10, 2008

/Subscribed - as my 77 J-20 is getting the fronts and rears done in 2011.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Maybe it's different for later D60s, but this early one is being a beech.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• v10sport
              258 I6
              • Mar 23, 2004

Originally posted by Gambler68
              Managed to get other side on barely easier with the spacer, and the bolt heads on the hub side. Hub *almost* clears the bolt heads with the spacer on. Haven't tried with spacer off. Nuts would still requre shaving, or will have to notch into the flange neckdown a bit.

This would all be minor stuff if oh, I had a milling machine or a big drill press to address the minor layout problems, but for a joe with handtools..

I guess I'll have to put the discs on the shafts, re-install with the spacer on and grind some for the hub to seat, to see if the spacer is required for the calipers to line up with the disc, or if its there for the bolts to clear the hub or not.

The other possible idea would be to use the original bolts that held the backing plate on, but I don't think they are long enough...dunno, done for today. I know that much
              Did you buy the kit from gubi on Pirate? If so, your bracket holes are probably drilled wrong. Mine were, none of the holes lined up. Turns out, the guy who makes the brackets for him miss drilled the holes. After I received the correct brackets, it bolted right up. He also sent me the wrong hub seals.
              Last edited by v10sport; 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM.
              77 J20
              09 Rubicon Unlimited
              10 Challenger SRT 8 6 Speed
              11 Grand Cherokee Overland

Wisconsin Speed and Performance

Comment

• Elliott
                Cowboy Up
                • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by Gambler68
                starting a thread for Tech Archives. I've searched all over the web and never seen a complete write up, so here we go.

The Victim: A 1972-74 narrow drum (staked) Jeep (which really is a chevy) Dana 60 8 lug Full Floater.
                I certainly wouldn't give GM that much credit. Dana built axles for all the manufactures and the BOM code on your axle will be for a Jeep if it came from a Jeep. Thanks for putting this together.
                *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Gambler68
                  Rabble Rouser
                  • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by v10sport
                  Did you buy the kit from gubi on Pirate? If so, your bracket holes are probably drilled wrong. Mine were, none of the holes lined up. Turns out, the guy who makes the brackets for him miss drilled the holes. After I received the correct brackets, it bolted right up. He also sent me the wrong hub seals.

Yup. Well that freaking sucks I actually did grow up in a machine shop..this stuff is off, but I can make it work, just have to wallow out some of these holes that are off. Oh well. Live and learn. I haven't checked the hub seals..they're cheap enough I don't mind if I have to replace.
                  Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• v10sport
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 23, 2004

I couldnt get the seals locally. I had to order them. 37 bucks for both sides. Looks like you may have the correct ones. They use Ford brackets and redrill the 4 holes. Id PM him and let him know that your brackets are off. He needs to tighten his quality control on the brackets. When I got the correctly drilled brackets, I had to modify those so the caliper would bolt up. The left too much material in the ears of the bracket. Brakes work well now.
                    77 J20
                    09 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

Well, that explains the 4 extra holes that definitely don't line up. None of that was mentioned. Thank you for sharing.

Now..you didn't have any problems with the outside of the hub contacting with the bolt heads? Did you have grind anything for clearance (for the bolts). I will have to slice a face on each of the 4 mounting nuts, and bolt into them, then grind the bolt heads for the hub to fit in so the seal is firm against the spindle flange area it rides on. I don't want to grind either the hub or axle flange itself.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• v10sport
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 23, 2004

My hub cleared the bolts
                        77 J20
                        09 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Cutting a face off the nut and forgoing a lockwasher seems to be the trick. Looks like the hub will clear. One hole needs redrilling. Enough room on the back to double nut em. Okay...
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

the bloody 4 hole spacer goes inbetween the bracket and the hub, doesn't it.
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
                              I got the Willys....
                              • Jun 21, 2005

I'd say return it. Sounds like it's all pretty messed up.

You see the write up J10MIke did on his dics? I don't recall him having issues.

I'd try for my money back and get the same kit he did.
                              Thomas Russell
                              1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                              1971 Gladiator
                              J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                              1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

Working...
                              X