• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • headrickja
    232 I6
    • Aug 15, 2005

Baby jeeps

Where can I go to learn about Cj jeeps made in the 1970 . Any information would be appropriated . I have two J10 jeeps and have been a member of this board for many years but have been thinking of buy a 1975 cj and wanting to learn about them.Thanks again
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by headrickja
    Where can I go to learn about Cj jeeps made in the 1970 . Any information would be appropriated . I have two J10 jeeps and have been a member of this board for many years but have been thinking of buy a 1975 cj and wanting to learn about them.Thanks again
    Buy the TSM. Cheap on CD-ROM at RockAuto.

What other information do you want?

"The Jeeps you are looking at derived from the 4-cylinder powered M38A1, built for the US military in the Korean war era. Kaiser-Willys Corp first offered the very spartan CJ-5 in 1955, based on the M38A1. Little changed through 1971, except for the addition of an optional V6 engine starting in 1966. Here, we call these 1955-71 models the "early" CJ-5.

Around 1970, American Motors Corp (AMC) bought Jeep from Kaiser, and began planning some upgrades for the CJ. In 1972 they released an upgraded CJ-5, using AMC engines (2 inline 6s and a V8) and upgraded/improved steering, axles, transmissions, brakes, and chassis. Most of these changes were simply modernization of the original CJ-5 design with better components. The engine compartment was lengthened to accommodate AMC's excellent inline 6s. These 1972-1975 Jeeps are called "intermediates" around here.

The "late" era begins in 1976, when AMC/Jeep releases its complete rework of the CJ-5. Now almost everything changes, only retaining most of the external appearance, the engines and the front axle. This design continued with some changes in engines and transmissions through 1983, when the CJ-5 was discontinued."

Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

When did the CJ-7 show up? They's a little longer, have a tailgate and are better looking to those with good taste.

At some point they got a wider wheelbase.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

72-75 have the most brittle problematic frames of all CJ's made. 76 the design changed and so did the metal. When checking a 72-75 CJ for a potential purchase, examine the entire frame very carefully and even after you own it. Look around the spring perches, at the attachment welds at the front crossmember just behind the bumper, and especially the steering box mounts. The very best years for any CJ ever were 77,78 and 79. If one were fortunate to find one with an Inline 6 you most likely will find the 6.32 low first gear T-18 4 speed behind it. Coupled to a dana 20 transfer case mounted in front of a Corporate model 20 rear axle. You have one of the best packages found in a factory built rig. Drop some one piece axles in that rear end and you have a rear axle that is stronger than a dana 44. The ring gear tooth is longer than a dana 44 ring gear. The weak point on an AMC 20 axle is the housing and it's two piece axle shafts. It has thin housing tubes. The wagoneer AMC 20 has much thicker tubes and can be shortened for a CJ app. The 77-79 cJ's also came with a disc brake dana 30. The brakes in those three years are more stout that other Jeeps with disc brakes. The rotors in a 77-79 are 1 1/8 thick like the IH scouts and all the other year CJ rotors are 7/8 thick.
        Dana 30 axle shafts are induction hardened and in 39 years messing with CJ's doing rubicon 11 times and many other popular trails over and over, I have never once seen a dana 30 shaft break. It is typically the axle U-joint that fractures and takes out the ears on the shaft from the shock and broken parts under torque.

Aside from the frames on the 72-75 jeeps, the rest of the rig is just great.

If you are looking to get into a CJ be aware of what has been said already.

I would highly recommend finding those three years I mention as the jeeps are built as stout as you can get from the factory and with minimal mods you can make a potent trail rig right from the start. On a final note the 77-79 CJ's with V-8's typically came with the T-15 three speed. Some early 74 and 75, 76's came with the much sought after 4 speed T-18, but they were only a 4 to 1 first gear. You must check it verses taking someones word for it.
        I'd take a 77-79 6 cylinder CJ any day. All I really care about is 71 and prior. Essentially a kaiser built jeep. I know full well better jeeps were made later. But a kaiser built jeep is my weakness.
        Thats all In can get in here. My dinner is ready.
        Good luck and wear a seat belt.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp