• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • temps425
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 16, 2007

Wood Grain Molding Restoration?

Hello, I was reading an ad online for a grand wagoneer. The truck was for sale and the wood grain looked perfect. It said in the ad the wood grain molding was "restored" back to original condition. Anyone heard of this? Maybe it was stripped and repainted or had some new vinyl laid onto it? Ive searched the threads here on this topic and there isn't much.

I noticed the wood grain is around $500 otherwise, so some people might be interested to know how that works. I have lots of questions (me -->)

1 Anyone done this or have any ideas?
    2 Also, what is the proper procedure for removal/install of wood grain molding?
    4 Can the wood grain laminate be replaced WITHOUT removing the wood grain molding?
    5 What have other ppl done to restore the wood grain molding?

In case you were wondering, YES I wanna redo the wood grain on my wag
  • GWDriver
    304 AMC
    • Jul 07, 2003

Temps425, There are probably as many ways to remove woodgrain as there are McDonald's in the country. Who knows? As for renewing the woodgrain trim strips, I just don't know. Perhaps there are ways and I, for one, would like to do so if it's possible. I have all of my trim strips except one and I'm sure it could be found. I'd like to know where the guys that renew FSJs, like Wagon Master & GrandWagoneers.com get their beautiful woodgrain and trim strips.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
    LarryD
    USMC Retired

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
    1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
    2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
    2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed

Comment

• POPPALUV
      232 I6
      • Jul 12, 2010

Our "new" 88 Grand Wag had it's new side trim put on very lazily (is that a word?) Whoever did it did not keep it straight and level. As an artist it irritates me very much as the rest of the Jeep looks wonderful!!!!!!
      Don't trust a man who never curses
      Dog: the only animal to align itself w/ man

1988 Grand Wagoneer "MATILDA"
      1966 Buick Riviera- went under water....
      1971 Buick Riviera SHOW CAR- went under water.
      1971 Buick Riviera ON DRY LAND!!!

Comment

• 18cherokee
        350 Buick
        • Jul 21, 2003

i know that wagonmaster has recovered the existing wood vinyl - yes, that's applied new woodgrain vinyl over the top of the old, rather than removing everything. he'd lay the vinyl over the top & then just trim it with a fine knife along the inside edges of the molding.

& (the late) saul was planning to recover the old molding with new 3m adhesives however i am not sure how far he got & if the outcome would be any good anyway. i think this would be a difficult task & would be better accomplished by a professional.

with regards to removing the molding, there are steps to follow:

- weather must be warm so that molding is pliable & not brittle.
        - drill out the pop rivets, keep the little circle tabs
        - heat the trim with a heat gun, but do not scortch it.
        - use a plastic putty knife & push along under the molding, lifting a little bit away at a time - ie heat, then lift away..... heat & lift away etc...... but then gently press it back to the metal so that it doesnt just hang off there - keeping it back onto the body whilst you proceed helps maintain its shape.
        - when you have completed the section take it off the vehicle & lay it flat.

removing the old adhesive from the back side of the molding again involves the heat gun or a red heat lamp.
        Black Cherry 1989 Grand Wagoneer
        S&J rebuilt AMC360
        IMPCO Propane

Comment

• Hunter Green 91
          258 I6
          • Oct 12, 2004

I checked with woodgrain4wagons.com and the guy says he can restore woodgrain trim. He does the old aluminum trim for station wagons and has a process for the plastic trim on the Grand Wagoneers. I am planning on sending mine to him once I get it off and clean it up. Seems to be a good guy. It may be a little while, but I will post the results.
          Last edited by Hunter Green 91; 07-13-2010, 10:32 AM.
          1991 Grand Wagoneer
          1967 J-100 Panel Delivery Military

Comment

• temps425
            327 Rambler
            • Nov 16, 2007

poppaluv, thats too bad someone went to all the effort of likely spending good $$ reinstalling the wood grain and didnt take the time to get it level. I think I would use a marker to line the wood grain first, or if I was painting, I would tape the wood grain up for a couple days, make sure its perfect, then mark it, take it off and re apply.

18cherokee- yeah, I see the woodgrain at BJs for $275+shipping, would be worth it not having to redo the trim, but it does not have the rounded corners...more squared off. I really wanna keep the wag original.

What is the reinstall procedure?
            Last edited by temps425; 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Gurinski
              258 I6
              • Mar 14, 2010

Originally posted by GWDriver
              Temps425, There are probably as many ways to remove woodgrain as there are McDonald's in the country. Who knows? As for renewing the woodgrain trim strips, I just don't know. Perhaps there are ways and I, for one, would like to do so if it's possible. I have all of my trim strips except one and I'm sure it could be found. I'd like to know where the guys that renew FSJs, like Wagon Master & GrandWagoneers.com get their beautiful woodgrain and trim strips.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
              From what I have seen on those web sites they start with low mileage very good condition GWS take off the trim and just repaint withiout removing the vinyl. The original vinyl isnt made anymore so whatever you find will be close but not original. As far as the trim I think BJs has trim that needs no rivets and is thinner than original.
              1991 GW TFI GM-icm 360 727 np229

Comment

• BamaDrew
                232 I6
                • Jul 11, 2009

Originally posted by Gurinski
                From what I have seen on those web sites they start with low mileage very good condition GWS take off the trim and just repaint withiout removing the vinyl. The original vinyl isnt made anymore so whatever you find will be close but not original. As far as the trim I think BJs has trim that needs no rivets and is thinner than original.
                x2. Just got my woodgrain kit in Cherry Oak (seemed the closest to original color to me) from BJ's the other day...haven't unrolled any of the woodgrain yet but the moulding looks very nice and eliminates the pop rivets. It is thinner in width but its going to work great for me. I fully recommend...

As for grandwagoneers.com....I sure would love to know the details of his restos myself. I saw one of his rigs for sale on Autotrader here not too long ago to the tune of $69,000+. It was so "new" it even had an odometer that read 2,000 some odd miles on it.

Comment

• temps425
                  327 Rambler
                  • Nov 16, 2007

Yes, I saw that...I'm thinking about just taking mine off, and doing the vinyl and just putting it back on and try to get out the ripples w/ a heat gun. Only one piece has fading on it, so I'll find that piece. Can someone tell me how to save the plugs and properly remove the molding so it can be reinstalled? Thanks

Comment

• Greenfish
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 12, 2010

Ive been kicking around this idea as well. The GW is going to go for paint soon and not sure what I want to do about the wood grain. the stuff that is on there isnt to bad so I may just pull the trim off and have the paint shop paint around the wood grain by masking off. THen using BJ's trim after its done.
                    Baltimore
                    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Rebuilt 360, Eddy Perf Manifold, Razor Grill
                    1970 Plymouth 'Cuda (my baby)

Comment

• Mahamotorworks
                      327 Rambler
                      • Sep 11, 2007

Remove all the wood grain if you are going to get the kit from BJ's. Have the paint shop paint the whole thing then you gwood kit will have new clean surface to hold onto. This is what I am planning on doing.

MAHA
                      1989 Grand Wagoneer Engein Reaplacement: In Planing Stages.

Comment

• Greenfish
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 12, 2010

Originally posted by Mahamotorworks
                        Remove all the wood grain if you are going to get the kit from BJ's. Have the paint shop paint the whole thing then you gwood kit will have new clean surface to hold onto. This is what I am planning on doing.

MAHA
                        Good advice, thanks!
                        Baltimore
                        1991 Grand Wagoneer, Rebuilt 360, Eddy Perf Manifold, Razor Grill
                        1970 Plymouth 'Cuda (my baby)

Comment

• tgelormine
                          230 Tornado
                          • Sep 01, 2010

Hunter Green 91,
                          Have you heard back from the woodgrain for wagons guy? Any ballpark figure on how much for his work?

Thanks!
                          Tony G.

'89 GW - ugly older brother
                          '90 GW- spoiled/fussy beautiful younger sister

Comment

• wheresdawaves
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 05, 2010

I personally plan on removing the old sun baked fake wood and making my own out of nice figured solid wood veneer with a heavy boat clear on top. Haven't figured out what specie I want yet but I will be nice rich and dark. Shouldn't be too hard but that's probably because I have a fully stocked wood shop available. I also have a truck with the thin strip not a full woody. The prices for the wood kits I have seen online are outragous and it's usually for some cheap bs laminate.

Comment

• Hunter Green 91
                              258 I6
                              • Oct 12, 2004

Originally posted by tgelormine
                              Hunter Green 91,
                              Have you heard back from the woodgrain for wagons guy? Any ballpark figure on how much for his work?

Thanks!
                              I haven't sent the trim to him yet, but he gave me a price in the $700.00 range for the whole set of trim. You can email him with questions on his website.

My progress has slowed due to work and kids. I will contact him again before I send my trim and get another quote.
                              1991 Grand Wagoneer
                              1967 J-100 Panel Delivery Military

Comment

Working...
                              X