International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Street & Performance (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   LS rockers (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187030)

babywag 04-09-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickledtoast
I am planning on running LS1 rockers after my cam is broken in. I made new stands as the factory LS stand places the shafts too high. Milling the stand surface on the head is an option, but the $15 worth of bar stock and my free time was better. Plus I can run the factory 1.6 ratios for break in.

Difference between the LS1 and AMC pushrod cup is ~.040. LS is lower. I will know if there is an extra .040 worth of compression in the hydraulic lifter after I get this damn engine together.

I can't seem to upload photos here. Too new?

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5D361A 7C

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5D023A 47

Nice...what installed spring height are you working with?
Seems they used 2 different heights, which obviously effects things.

pickledtoast 04-09-2019 12:45 PM

I was at 1.800 before cutting seats and valves, which is when I did my stands. Oops. I'm now at 1.830 and may shim the stands a little but probably not, pattern still looks better than the factory rocker (which is not saying much).

I'm working with a 1990 AMC 360. Fixing a timing cover bolt hole oil leak lead to noticing .110 crank endplay, which lead to finding wiped out lobes (truck ran great honestly) and 2 scored cylinders. :banghead: I was playing with some LS rockers on my desk while waiting for the engine to be bored. I paid $50 shipped for a clean looking set off ebay.

I should start a build thread.

rang-a-stang 04-09-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

I should start a build thread.

Yes. Yes you should.

babywag 04-09-2019 04:50 PM

Well picked up a set of 16 w/ stands @ yard today...
$36.80 + tax
Look to be in good shape? smooth operation and pretty clean.

jcisworthy 04-10-2019 02:31 AM

Cannot beat that price.

I just ordered a set with trunions installed for a 360 build in the near future. I have been using mini shaft adjustable rockers but decided to go back a torque and go factory LS rocker for this one.

I will post when I get into it

pickledtoast 04-10-2019 06:02 AM

Nice price on those rockers! Nice flowmaster workbench too.

babywag 04-12-2019 09:07 PM

They got a bath...

Quote:

Nice price on those rockers! Nice flowmaster workbench too.

I like my flowmaster workbench too:thumbsup:

Nikkormat 04-14-2019 01:23 AM

Awesome work guys! Eager to see how this works. Would love to do it to my beaters.

JeepsAndGuns 04-14-2019 07:39 AM

This seems very interesting. I will be watching this thread closely to see how it works out for you and what, if any issues you run into.

KY79Honcho 04-14-2019 07:45 AM

This is a great looking upgrade. I need to dig thorough my extra LS parts and see if I have a set of rockers sitting around. My 76 J10(401) needs all the help it can get.
I would love to see a before and after dyno sheet to see what the gains really are. Similar to how they test on Motor trend "Engine masters" show.

wiley-moeracing 04-14-2019 03:44 PM

Me too, a lot of work and money by the time you get done, I hope it is worth it.

jcisworthy 04-14-2019 06:15 PM

Don't expect big gains with this mod, it is just an excellent option when upgrading your rockers.

Not very difficult or expensive in the end.

I have pictures of a mini shaft installation but they will not upload here

How small does a file need to be here? I resized to 331kb

babywag 04-14-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcisworthy
Don't expect big gains with this mod, it is just an excellent option when upgrading your rockers.

Not very difficult or expensive in the end.

I have pictures of a mini shaft installation but they will not upload here

How small does a file need to be here? I resized to 331kb

Agreed rollers are small gains generally WOT high rpms.

Far as pics. site doesn't allow uploading pics.
They need to bo hosted elsewhere and linked.

Ristow 04-15-2019 08:46 AM

more lift,quicker ratio with no effect on duration. plus a cheap way to get rid of the wore out flimsy and in precise stock rockers. looks like a win to me.

how much lift is lost on flex of the flimsy amc rocker bridge? i've seen a lot of these that were bent and rounding off the top of the valve. no wonder the guides are always so wore out on these.

put these on a elgin industries CL912 cam kit and it'll pull hard off idle and rev out well past 5 grand. which means in your automatic equipped ride it'll pull from off idle to shift rpm.

babywag 04-15-2019 09:02 AM

Yep. dunno how accurate 1.6 is on AMC stock rockers?
Lots of stockers especially Chevy aren't good.
Supposed to be 1.5, VERY few actually are.
They also vary quite a bit...
Might not be an issue w/ AMC but it is on others.

Like I already stated a couple times...
Don't care about hp gains
Don't think it's a bragging point "I've got rollers"

For me it's about the added lift, stability & consistency.

Ristow 04-15-2019 09:08 AM

the lift ratio changes thru the arch with standard design rockers. roller rocker maintain it thru the arch. thats where the gains are.

JeepsAndGuns 04-21-2019 06:30 AM

I wonder if there would be any noticeable differences on a most stock engine, as far as power and driveability.
But a slightly more modded engine (bored out, aftermarket cam, headers, intake, etc..) I wonder if it might be slightly more noticeable.

Keep us updated on how things go.

babywag 04-28-2019 10:48 AM

So I cannot find my adjustable pushrod...:banghead:

Doing the math 18 tpi is .056 @ 1 full rotation?
Which means to obtain .020-.030 = ~1/2turn(.028) after zero lash?

wiley-moeracing 04-28-2019 01:17 PM

If you can not find a set of bolt in pushrods, then you will have to have set custom made. Maybe the Harlan Sharp, Comp rollers might be worth a look at? I used small block ford comp full rollers with 1.7 ratio in my race motors

babywag 04-28-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
If you can not find a set of bolt in pushrods, then you will have to have set custom made. Maybe the Harlan Sharp, Comp rollers might be worth a look at? I used small block ford comp full rollers with 1.7 ratio in my race motors

These are bridged non-adjustable rockers. Simply trying to get a preload measurement.